Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size scope you using on your current Xbow? I’m thinking about getting a Sig Sauer BDX 3.5-10x42 instead of the 2.5-8x32.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
You can and I know you'll like it Wes. The value of it over the smaller scope may not be a tangible thing you can put a finger on and say, "I'm glad I stepped up to the 3.5-10x42 because __" .

I used the 3.5 all last year and loved it and it's a very nice scope but I only used the upper end of the mag. range in practice.

I have not done a side buy side test in the field to know if the 42mm OL of the 3.5 adds notable light gathering. My guess would be that it's better but probably not so much that it's a game changer in comparison.

Depending on your xbow, the smaller (shorter) 2.5 may even be a better fit.

What attracts you to the bigger scope?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can and I know you'll like it Wes. The value of it over the smaller scope may not be a tangible thing you can put a finger on and say, "I'm glad I stepped up to the 3.5-10x42 because __" .

I used the 3.5 all last year and loved it and it's a very nice scope but I only used the upper end of the mag. range in practice.

I have not done a side buy side test in the field to know if the 42mm OL of the 3.5 adds notable light gathering. My guess would be that it's better but probably not so much that it's a game changer in comparison.

Depending on your xbow, the smaller (shorter) 2.5 may even be a better fit.

What attracts you to the bigger scope?
I found a deal where they’re the same price and I like the extra power in a scope

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I found a deal where they’re the same price and I like the extra power in a scope
Sure, I understand. Do the math on the magnification to know for sure. Your xbows ballistics may only allow you to use some of that 10X. You may have to call SIG to get that info. but I know there is a limit to how much can be used on slower weapons like our xbows.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure, I understand. Do the math on the magnification to know for sure. Your xbows ballistics may only allow you to use some of that 10X. You may have to call SIG to get that info. but I know there is a limit to how much can be used on slower weapons like our xbows.
Thanks! I plan on using a Ravin R10. Do you think I’ll be fine with that?

·
8,915 Posts
The problem … I see here is the 100 yard parallax setting. You may get all giddy about the additional magnification for precision shot placement at "normal" hunting ranges of 20, 30, 40 yards, only to find your target is out of focus at 8x, 9x,10x. I'd still choose the 10x scope for the versatility to target shoot and since scopes often get moved from platform to platform. The 10x gives you more options in the future. But, it "may" not do anything more than the 2.5-8x Sig on a crossbow for hunting.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Remember that the OLED (color) displays start at the 1600 series range finder.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts

·
Registered
10,467 Posts
Nope, I do not have any problems using a RF with a black reticle in it. I rarely see deer before decent light in the mornings and pretty much have quit evening hunting.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Nope, I do not have any problems using a RF with a black reticle in it. I rarely see deer before decent light in the mornings and pretty much have quit evening hunting.
I've about given up evening hunts also. I much prefer first light and watch nature wake up.....I don't want to shoot a deer at almost dark,then find it,drag it out,then dress it out to get it in the cooler before flies start landing on it! Not cold enough here to hang them all night until later in the season anyway. Just too much like work for me......

Reactions: robertyb
1 - 14 of 14 Posts