Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had this discussion on another site and there were different opinions,Where should wax be applied to String,serving,cables?

I read in the Tenpoint Manual, Do not apply string wax to the center serving, Barrel or trigger,also Tenpoint says no wax is required on any areas on the string that is served,per there website Talking Tenpoints.

·
1,223 Posts
I basically second Urbans statement.

I say basically....because while I wax the string in general....I do put "some" (small amount) of (semi-synthetic) wax on the serving also.

Why...there is movement there. What's the wax for...it's a lubricant to keep the string from...chaffing if you will!

Not normally a good idea to end up with a bunch of built up, dirty ol wax in the trigger mechanism, so be very minimal on the "center" serving !

Mike

·
Banned
364 Posts
I wax my string with a good brand of string wax, use a soft piece of buckskin folded over the string and wax, rapidly slide the leather back and forth along the string to heat up the wax and flow it into the string. The wax is to provide some "insulation" on the strands of the strings to keep them from chaffing . I also wax my serving that same way. I believe it helps reduce wear from the claw and the barrel. I wax after 50-75 shots and always after I'm done shooting so it sits for at least 18-25hrs before I shoot again

·
11,449 Posts
I don't wax center servings

and some waxes tend to soften the serving material and promotes serving separation. Jigaloo on the barrel deck is all I use to minimize center serving wear. There is also quite bit of difference in center serving materials and how long they last. Excal's string servings start separating within the first few shots but I do not think it hurts anything. Making your own strings is a plus because you can experiment to find the combination that works for you.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
String waxing

Moonkryket said:
and some waxes tend to soften the serving material and promotes serving separation. Jigaloo on the barrel deck is all I use to minimize center serving wear. There is also quite bit of difference in center serving materials and how long they last. Excal's string servings start separating within the first few shots but I do not think it hurts anything. Making your own strings is a plus because you can experiment to find the combination that works for you.
Hi Moon,I saw in an earlier post on 5/20/08 your Desert Stryker has over 2000 shots and the original serving is intact and not damaged at all. you said you use a dry lube called jigaloo on the servings,crossbow barrel decks and even triger parts.

Have you changed your mind about using jigaloo on the serving?

·
512 Posts
wax

While on the subject of waxing,....... I use a flight rail lube, HCA-111 on my new Horton Exp. Everytime I read something about how often to apply, it's different. Any suggestions. And would anyone know if there is something cheaper to use. $10.99 is pretty steep for such a tiny tube. My only income is disability from V.A.

·
11,449 Posts
I crrently have about 500 shots

on my DS string with the original serving. The problem with a string and serving maintenance plan is that all crossbows are different. All I can say is that by waxing the center servings in general (all crossbows) the servings tended to separate and deteriorate quicker using several different brands of wax. I stopped using it on servings for that reason.

·
Banned
364 Posts
Everyone has different experiences

with waxing strings and servings. I have a Horton Legend that has over 1500 shots on the original string and serving that I have waxed every 75 shots regiliously and it's still going strong . Looks as good as I the day I got it. I have in excess of 350 shots on my ProFusion and I treat the string with the same waxing program . The string and serving looks great. Only marks are two small flat spots where the claw grabs the string. My Curve has 200 plus shots with same results. I use only one brand of wax, TexTite, and it was been working great for me for at least 25yrs, on all kinds of bow strings.

·
11,449 Posts
I have no experience with Hortons

but I'm a firm believer in sticking with what works for you just as I do for me :) The fact that there are 2 schools of thought, even at manufacturing reps' levels, says the jury is probably still out on waxing servings. The original Stryker has tons of string serving downforce on the deck and I know waxing helped accelerate the serving falling apart on my Strykers. Crossbows with little string downforce might react totally different to waxing the servings. The best bowstring wax I've ever used was made by Saunders and I can't find it anymore. I still have a partial tube.

Griz, which is your favorite crossbow these days? :)

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
favorite?

Dagriz,
Bet it is the phantom!

·
Banned
364 Posts
favorite crossbow

is a real tough call to make:confused: It just might by my Curve front end on the Phantom barrel/stock. BUt have to admitt the Phantom is a fun bow to shoot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts