Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have been bow hunting for 20 years and yes I am wanting to go over to the dark side.
My question is what crossbow brand do you recommend? I know this question is opening Pandora’s box however I would like to know how everyone likes their crossbow brand or what ones they regret buying.
what am I wanting
I would like a very reliable crossbow
I am looking to take game out to 80 ish yards as that is what I currently take game at with my vertical bow so I need one that holds energy.
I am looking at ravin as I can get a new r26 for about $1500
I am also looking at scorpyd and Excalibur.
I really like the idea of the simple design of scorpyd but do like the advertised accuracy of the Ravin and the speed. I have looked in my area but very limited crossbows to test fire.
Anyone have any horror stories of the above brands

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
KTK - Calm down my good man!

That X1 may some day prove to be a very good bow but Matt's first requirement comes to mind here......

Accuracy and speed for today's xbows is not hard to deliver on. Ravin, Scorpyd, TenPoint and a host of other manufacturer's produce xbows that can hold sub 1" groups at 80 yards and shoot hunting weight arrows at just about any speed you care to pay for.

Your R26, Scorpyd and Excalibur comment puts you all over the map on selection.

How you hunt, what you hunt and to some degree where you hunt should help narrow down features that will define your xbow choice. Are you big, small or average size? That comes into play. Do you have a budget?

Fill in the blanks on those questions and guys like KTK can jump in here and help with serious suggestions. And here comes the X1 again!

·
Registered
Scorpyd Aculeus 460, Excal paradox.
22 Posts
Scorpyd hands down. Zero history of reliability issues and you get more than what you pay for. I'm getting 2" groups at 115 yards with my scorpyd with more than enough penetration for a passthrough (not that I'd shoot that far). It goes through any game like butter.
Ravin makes some good stuff but they're way too expensive, you can get the same quality or better for half the price on most of their stuff.
Excalibur makes some good stuff but not anything that shoots super fast and is still reliable. Anything above 400fps and make sure you have an extra pair of limbs...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KTK - Calm down my good man!
View attachment 190300
That X1 may some day prove to be a very good bow but Matt's first requirement comes to mind here......

Accuracy and speed for today's xbows is not hard to deliver on. Ravin, Scorpyd, TenPoint and a host of other manufacturer's produce xbows that can hold sub 1" groups at 80 yards and shoot hunting weight arrows at just about any speed you care to pay for.

Your R26, Scorpyd and Excalibur comment puts you all over the map on selection.

How you hunt, what you hunt and to some degree where you hunt should help narrow down features that will define your xbow choice. Are you big, small or average size? That comes into play. Do you have a budget?

Fill in the blanks on those questions and guys like KTK can jump in here and help with serious suggestions. And here comes the X1 again!
Thanks for the info I am 6’2 215 lbs
Desert hunting which is why I need long range. I hunt bear mule deer and elk. Does price matter yes and no. I don’t mind spending less but will spend more of the bow seems to be better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scorpyd hands down. Zero history of reliability issues and you get more than what you pay for. I'm getting 2" groups at 115 yards with my scorpyd with more than enough penetration for a passthrough (not that I'd shoot that far). It goes through any game like butter.
Ravin makes some good stuff but they're way too expensive, you can get the same quality or better for half the price on most of their stuff.
Excalibur makes some good stuff but not anything that shoots super fast and is still reliable. Anything above 400fps and make sure you have an extra pair of limbs...
What scorpyd do you have ? What model do you recommend?

·
Registered
22 Posts
What scorpyd do you have ? What model do you recommend?
I have the Aculeus 460. They have the Nemesis now which is 480fps and a bit narrower and lighter. They also have some more affordable more compact but slower models I believe. It really depends on your price point and how fast you want it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you
It sounds like scorpyd may be the way to go. Ravin seems cool but I am concerned with all the moving parts the price point is about the same for both.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
You may want to stay away from the Nemesis.
Nothing but horror stories about string wear here on the forums.
Check into the TenPoint lineup.
The Viper S400 is a fantastic xbow for the money:
Great feedback here on the forums.

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
The best Scorpyd for hunting is the Deathstalker 420 IMO. Like said above the Nemesis has been discontinued so the fastest now will be the Aculeus. At least until Rex unveils a new bow. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dad used it for a whole season, serving looks good as new. Just a bunch of people trying to inflate "serving wear" as a huge problem meanwhile they overlook excaliburs exploding limbs like the fanboys they are. Funny thing is most of the people talking about that have never even owned a scorpyd. Get kevlar serving on the string and it'll last you longer than any crossbow string. I've seen nemesis models with thousands of shots using kevlar servings and the serving looked good as new.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dad used it for a whole season, serving looks good as new. Just a bunch of people trying to inflate "serving wear" as a huge problem meanwhile they overlook excaliburs exploding limbs like the fanboys they are. Funny thing is most of the people talking about that have never even owned a scorpyd. Get kevlar serving on the string and it'll last you longer than any crossbow string. I've seen nemesis models with thousands of shots using kevlar servings and the serving looked good as new.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Search "Nemesis" on this site.
There are plenty of pissed-off Members.
Scorpyd would not even acknowledge the issue with the string/serving rubbing too hard on the rail to the point it would not last 50 shots.

Most members on here know about the Kevlar serving but who wants to buy a new xbow then have to change the servings?
Certainly not a first time xbow purchaser.

Mattman215 is new.
Would hate for him to buy someone else's used problems.
Just my 2 cents.

Search "Nemesis" on this site.
There are plenty of pissed-off Members.
Scorpyd would not even acknowledge the issue with the string/serving rubbing too hard on the rail to the point it would not last 50 shots.

Most members on here know about the Kevlar serving but who wants to buy a new xbow then have to change the servings?
Certainly not a first time xbow purchaser.

Mattman215 is new.
Would hate for him to buy someone else's used problems.
Just my 2 cents.

(the double answer was for the double post :cool:)

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
I own Scorpyd, Ravin and Excalibur crossbows. My Excaliburs came first and I can say that so far I have had the same number of limbs go bad on my Scorpyd as did on any of the 3 Excaliburs which was 1 per bow. None exploded. Limb splinters on 2 of the Excaliburs and a delaminated limb on the Scorpyd. Thus by your reasoning the Ravin must be the best crossbow as I have not had any limb problems with it.
You are going way overboard as a rabid Scorpyd fan in your posts Mihajlo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting it sounds like all have pros and cons the more I read the more it sounds like all are decent but all have their own set of issues. I may just pull the trigger on the Ravin r26 as I can get it new for $1500 with scope bolts and quiver.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Interesting it sounds like all have pros and cons the more I read the more it sounds like all are decent but all have their own set of issues. I may just pull the trigger on the Ravin r26 as I can get it new for $1500 with scope bolts and quiver.
If you are 6'2', I would recommend you shoulder the R26 first before buying it.
It is very short at 26".
I am 5'10" and shoot one.
I love it but I prefer our TenPoint Vapor RS470 by far, which is 31" long.
Try the TenPoint Viper S400.
It is a lot of xbow for the money.
Deadly accurate, excellent AcuSlide cock/safe decock and 32" without the stirrup.
I think it will feel more natural to you, judging by your height.
Good luck and have fun with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hello

I have been bow hunting for 20 years and yes I am wanting to go over to the dark side.
My question is what crossbow brand do you recommend? I know this question is opening Pandora’s box however I would like to know how everyone likes their crossbow brand or what ones they regret buying.
what am I wanting
I would like a very reliable crossbow
I am looking to take game out to 80 ish yards as that is what I currently take game at with my vertical bow so I need one that holds energy.
I am looking at ravin as I can get a new r26 for about $1500
I am also looking at scorpyd and Excalibur.
I really like the idea of the simple design of scorpyd but do like the advertised accuracy of the Ravin and the speed. I have looked in my area but very limited crossbows to test fire.
Anyone have any horror stories of the above brands
You are to get a lot off info here. But I have the cheaper centerpoint 370 sniper. At 100 yards my broadheads go all the way threw my and stick out about 2inches out the back side and at 50 yards are laying on the ground at about 10 yards out the backside on the ground.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts