Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a member at our shotgun/pistol/archery range for over ten years. Recently they decided to ban crossbows. I'm not aware of any specific incident leading to this. Anyone else dealing with this kinda thing?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Most clubs usually claim crossbows are too hard on targets. Personally I don’t think that’s the only reason though. Some clubs, especially the controlling board or directors just don’t like them and I’ve even heard some just say crossbows aren’t safe enough when ranges are busy with many members shooting.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Ask their reasoning behind the decision. If they say it is because of target wear see if you can bring your own.

There was a similar ban on DOC ranges here. That was the answer I got and when I asked to bring my own target they said that was ok. Really worked out better anyway because I know what's in my target and I don't have to clean soundboard particles off my arrow every shot.

If it is for safety or liability concerns you may be SOL.

·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was always using my own targets. It sounds like it's for safety concerns. Kinda interesting after 10 years though

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
219 Posts
One person complains and it is over in most cases. You know, crossbows are not archery really....I score for Pope and Young and they do not fit the "literal" definition of archery.....being "drawn" instead of aimed in the "cocked" position. I enjoy the heck out of the crossbows and enjoy shooting them at tournaments....my "friends" are like "no way" but I just laugh at them.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
695 Posts
I was always using my own targets. It sounds like it's for safety concerns. Kinda interesting after 10 years though
The clubs insurance provider may be the reason. To get the best rate, there are concessions to be made.
Our club used to allow hunting on grounds and 5/6 years ago that came to an end as the insurance wouldn't be renewed if hunting was allowed on the property.
Same went for broadhead shoots back in the 90's.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Fully trad guys who shoot wood arrows and a stick don't think aluminum risers are trad, aluminum risers don't think compound is real archery, compound bows don't think crossbows are archery and crossbows don't think airbows are archery. Now there is a type of rifle that shoots 22LR that uses blanks to shoot arrows that everyone can complain about

It's the same thing that's been happening since time began,
Democrat and Republicans, Ford and Chevy, Hatfield and McCoy's. If you aren't doing what I'm doing you are wrong so the loudest voice wins

·
Registered
644 Posts
surprisingly i finally had a reasonable experience at the out door range. The folks shooting there were really nice and asked some questions. Then wanted to talk about other hunting related things. It use to be you get a few dirty looks.
That was all because the range officer was an older guy and was real open mined about...keeping it going any way we can. He said its important that everyone is included as a group. I explained to him that I have a few Mathews that still get shot for fun but is limited to shoulder and vision issues and are at a low 48 pounds to be able to shoot it with out aggravating the shoulder again. Funny since i use to be able to shoot 70 pounds easily 18 years ago. All the ranges here have a strong no broad head rule and that becuse people leave the blades sticking in the target frames and people cut thier hands etc. Just too much of a hazard
at a public range.

·
Registered
66 Posts
FPS limitation in competitions is the way.
If you set limit to 330fps for example, you are sending less kinetic energy down the range then fast compound bow.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I have been a member at our shotgun/pistol/archery range for over ten years. Recently they decided to ban crossbows. I'm not aware of any specific incident leading to this. Anyone else dealing with this kinda thing?
I experienced and posted an article about 4-5 months ago on this very same encounter called: "If you were a Newbie in search of your first crossbow". I encountered everything from sales but no service, sales but no shooting or testing prior to sales, shunned and talked against by the Pope and Young/Boone and Crockett group, shunned by the vertical crowd I used to shoot with regularly. I feel for you on what you have gone through and even more so when someone doesn't have the resource's to shoot their crossbow elsewhere, such as at someone else's country property, etc. Hang in there. Don't give up. I didn't but I do feel and know your pain and frustration.(y)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
One person complains and it is over in most cases. You know, crossbows are not archery really....I score for Pope and Young and they do not fit the "literal" definition of archery.....being "drawn" instead of aimed in the "cocked" position.
So is the Pope and Young definition the "OFFICIAL" and overall accepted definition?
Here is Websters definition,
Definition of archery

1: the art, practice, or skill of shooting with bow and arrow

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah I think the "can I bring my own target?" is a good idea. I shoot at an outdoor club/range and I as far as I know I am the only one who uses a xbow. The manager was totally cool with it as long as I brought my own target. Most of the others use compound bows and they seem cool with a xbow. I am relatively new to this so I was worried about the whole us vs them thing but seems fine. I also use Olympic recurve and bring both. When I get tired of recurve I just pull out the xbow and shoot which I enjoy alot.

·
Registered
219 Posts
So is the Pope and Young definition the "OFFICIAL" and overall accepted definition?
Here is Websters definition,
Definition of archery

1: the art, practice, or skill of shooting with bow and arrow
I enjoy crossbows regardless of the definition. I am sure there are many different definitions of archery but it is about enjoying the outdoors…..that is what really matters. That response was not intended to stir the pot but as you can see…..and as you stated, there are different opinions. A lot of the old school still regard them as firearms which is probably what someone in the club convinced others….thus the response the OP got from the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: aporter1608

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I enjoy crossbows regardless of the definition. I am sure there are many different definitions of archery but it is about enjoying the outdoors…..that is what really matters. That response was not intended to stir the pot but as you can see…..and as you stated, there are different opinions. A lot of the old school still regard them as firearms which is probably what someone in the club convinced others….thus the response the OP got from the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did not intend for my post to be a direct jab at you. Just questioning who has the authority to define archery. It is a sore spot to me when the crossbow opposition in our state and other states keeps saying at public hearings in our legislature. as well as other public meetings, that crossbows do not meet the definition of archery. Really, Pope & Young can call it whatever for their needs, but does that over rule Websters. A crossbow is a bow and it shoots arrows.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I belong to a gun club. Like you I've been a long time member. I think there's only 3 of us crossbow hunters in the club. But that's ok just means more time to spend in the field every year. 😁. Good Hunting.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I did not intend for my post to be a direct jab at you. Just questioning who has the authority to define archery. It is a sore spot to me when the crossbow opposition in our state and other states keeps saying at public hearings in our legislature. as well as other public meetings, that crossbows do not meet the definition of archery. Really, Pope & Young can call it whatever for their needs, but does that over rule Websters. A crossbow is a bow and it shoots arrows.
No jab taken....we are good. I too like the crossbow and do not like the opposition. In fact, I was discriminated against in Austin, Texas by the city for not allowing crossbows at an ASA shoot....found out a little too late but that right there should not have happened. Don't let it be a sore spot....rather relish the fact that it is gaining leaps and bounds in the shooting community. I own 3 of them....and I still own 3 regular vertical bows as well. And, I am a P&Y scorer....just cannot score anything for the crossbow shooters right now. And, this is what probably happened with the OP!!!....discrimination!!!! 🤣 Hope that helps! Have a great day!
Fred

·
Registered
219 Posts
Doesn't Bass Pro own Pope & Young now ??
Not true.....Bass Pro founder Johnny Morris announced with Pope and Young that they were relocating the museum to the campus of the Springfield Bass Pro Headquarters. Johnny Morris is a huge conservationist and wanted to create a "world class not for profit" attraction close to the headquarters in an effort to reach a wider audience. Pope and Young is still its own entity. Cheers!
Fred

1 - 19 of 19 Posts