Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Growing very tired of some of the grief I get from some of the bow hunters about hunting with a crossbow. Some of these people are very closed minded and really look down their nose at crossbow hunters. This is a minority of the bow hunters here but it is really irritating when someone tries to shame you for using a crossbow, i.e. my brother-in-law and some of his buddies. Maybe the reason they are so irritated with me is that I kill far more deer than they do!!

I hunt with a crossbow because I like crossbows and don't owe anyone a further explanation or apology!!

Bill

·
Registered
226 Posts
Some people need to shame other people to feel better about themselves. You see it a lot in hunting circles. Guys that only shoot big bucks shaming people for shooting a doe. I have heard some of these guys shaming youth hunters for shooting a doe or a jake turkey. Isn't that a hell of a way to welcome someone to our sport? I have been interested in crossbows since I was a young boy. Vertical bows don't interest me at all. I tried to get into hunting with one and it just isn't my thing.
We hunt for meat not for antlers, we shoot any legal animal we chose with whatever legal weapon we prefer to use. And we encourage other hunters to do the same.
Oncebitten

·
Registered
370 Posts
This is just like when compounds came out, the trad shooters were making fun of and belittling them as well. In hind sight we can see what happened there. I suspect that since so many states have legalized crossbows now, you will see the same migration in equipment. Like it or not, crossbows are the future.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bow. Release, arrow drop rest, 80% let off, how many feet per second, sights, peep, range finder sight that adjusts poi. It use to be recurves/longbows now these things. HA HA HA I’ll argue all day I use a crossbow and I can’t get a second shot.

·
9,022 Posts
If you … react negatively to their offensive posturing it validates their anger. If the situation allows, you might just tell them you're sorry they harbor such anger for a bow that allows very young people, older people, weaker people and women the hunting opportunities that they themselves enjoy in the woods. I've found when you ask people "why all the anger" it usually stops them in their tracks. I'm not sure why. Perhaps they don't realize they're so angry, perhaps it makes them think "why," or maybe it just embarrass' or stuns them. In any case, the world is full of angry, unhappy people; particularly in this time of trial & tribulation. It's the Age of Outrage. If you get mad, you let them do exactly what they want; to control you, your mood, and your happiness. Katherine Hepburn once said to avoid negative people like the plaque because they'll drag you down and make you as miserable as they are. Words I've taken as gospel for most of my life ...lol

·
2,742 Posts
Iron Duke hit it on the head! People will be people they have the preconceived notion that there way is the only right way. I chose not to participate in these debates of who's method of hunting is the right way. I will not argue with stupid and lower my self to there level.

·
Registered
470 Posts
many years ago my state allowed crossbows for the disabled only or from a injury with a doctor's not, and I had no issues with that. Then the state opened it for everyone, I wasn't against it, it just wasn't for me....UNTIL my back issues got so bad I couldn't draw my bow back at all and if I was able too I struggled....now my Mathews collects dust

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I get slack too and I don't give a rats behind. What works for one might not work for the other. Use what works for you and get out there and hunt. It's simple. It's a messed up world. People just need to mind their own business and enjoy life. It's too short to rave about who shoots what deer with what weapon. If it's legal use it.

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
My left elbow was crushed when I was 12 and they wanted to amputate my arm but I refused to let that happen. I had a total of 6 operations on it and after extensive therapy got it to where I can bend it about half way to my shoulder. I taught myself how to shoot a recurve bow with it and graduated to a compound when GA made them legal. I shot a 26" arrow but worked until I could finally pull a 70 lb bow. I never had to worry about arm slap as my arm is way too crooked for that to happen. I was told by all my doctors I could shoot a crossbow over the years (you had to be disabled back then) but I was against them and said I would never shoot one. I made it to 60 when I had to have rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder (good arm) and the doctor told me no more shooting vertical bows again unless I wanted to be right back on his table with even worst injuries. In fact he said my vertical bow shooting was what wrecked my shoulder.
I bought my first crossbow and never looked back. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
It really is a shame - hunters bashing hunters. Never really understood the motivation behind that. Today I’m thrilled to see any new hunters joining our sport, and do all I can to help and encourage them,

Been Bowhunting for over 40 years - back then I remembered being bashed and shunned for using a compound, sights, vanes and a release. P&Y was bristling over very new archery innovation, letoffs, etc. I was pretty exclusively a bowhunter for about 30+ years of that. Never bashed those who weren’t, just pursued my own hunting goals.

Picked up the crossbow about 7-8 years ago when I was in a hunting camp with some guys from Excalibur. They introduced me to the CB and I found it intriguing - as a retired soldier I’m always interested in trying out a new weapon. Bought one and now I’m hooked.

Today I hunt with multiple weapons, not because anyone says I have to or can’t. It’s what I choose to do for my own level of challenge on a particular hunt. If forced to declare a preference I’d say I still prefer to bowhunt in the warm earlier season weather or spot and stalk, but really like a crossbow for treestand, ground blinds or when the heavier clothes come out.

Haters are gonna hate! But I hunt for my own enjoyment, not to prove anything to anyone.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I shoot a crossbow cuz it is easier than a vertical bow, crossbow shots sound cooler, and cuz I got one so freaking cheap! I don't hunt, just target shoot and so far every vertical bow shooter at the club where I be shooting has been nice to me and my wife when we encounter them. Might be because my wife has nice legs and wears short shorts...in fact, now what I think about it they always talk to to her....Anywho, owning a crossbow allows me to look down on the spear throwers and blow gun gun guys--what nerds!

At the gun range where I belongs and I shoot exclusively pellet rifles and the powderburners don't know quite how to take me yet especially when I plop down at 100 yards and shoot one or two inch groups. You could hear a baby fart over my rifle report cuz it is "moderated" and that brings queer looks from the the faces of the dudes blasting away with .556's and such. Long story short, haters love to hate. I just wanna have fun.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sad right, but true that crossbows are viewed in such a negative way by so many different factions

Recently because of shows on TV like The Walking Dead are we now branded as half crazed wannabe zombie killers ? May be that's it .

Then I thought NO ,,,way before that, showing up to a gun club with a crossbow was looked down apon as the weapon that just doesn't belong or fit in with what a person should use to shoot targets or hunt with .

I can only put it down to pure ignorance of the fact that be it hunting or target use, a crossbow be it recurve or compound is all about being in sync with your weapon and all the factors that go with it, to make that perfect shot .

And that's a hell of a lot .

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Usually when asked why a crossbow , i say because i can or why not .
And i usually turn the question around on em and ask why do you shoot a compound with a release .
duke hit the nail on the head , but i refuse to just lay down on the subject , the more you can educate the more the hate lessens !!

·
Crossbow Nut
3,102 Posts
Anyone interested in archery hunting in their youth, will become OK with crossbows when "father time" reminds them they're not as bulletproof as they once thought they were.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Anyone interested in archery hunting in their youth, will become OK with crossbows when "father time" reminds them they're not as bulletproof as they once thought they were.
Couldn’t agree more. My cold weather archery performance has certainly taken a nosedive in recent years — impact of repetitive injuries, age-related visual acuity, joint deterioration, challenges in maintaining strength conditioning and muscle mass (no longer pulling 80lb+ compounds)— all take their toll. Not surrendering the bow any time soon but can see myself transitioning more to the crossbow as time wears on. And, why not, I already enjoy hunting with it and sometimes use it in situations where a bow would work just as well. Right now I hunt with a crossbow when I choose to, but it’s becoming clearer that in years to come it will become my default — I’m OK with that.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Here in Ariz. you need to have a special permit to hunt in archery season with a crossbow. To get it you need a form filled out by a Dr. that says you cant pull a bow and go to the Fish and game and get your permit.. The problem arises when rifle hunters get their Dr. friends to sign off so they can get a crossbow permit when they could shoot a regular bow but don't want to spend the time to become proficient. The reason is the draw odds on the early elk hunt is 10 + times better for archery than rifle. The outfitters and guides are pushing it so they can get more clients. This pisses off the archery hunters so they hate crossbows and people that use them even though in my case I vertical bowhunted my whole life till my shoulder went. There was a guided camp this year with 4 hunters all with Ravins and none of them had ever shot a bow. There is not a easy solution unless the fish and game just outlaws crossbows period and does away with them during archery season period.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Here in Tennessee crossbows have become accepted and almost the norm. You see more people with crossbows than vertical bows. There are still exceptions to a few people, but for the most part no one will say anything to you. I have a nice vertical bow that has been collecting dust this year. Every time I have been out hunting I'm always reaching for my Excalibur. Reason being is because it is just better at killing deer. I mean my goodness. Unless I royally screw up the shot the deer is going down no questions asked. I do not get that many shot opportunities every year and when I do get one I want that deer down. I am a meat hunter above all else. We live off that meat all year.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Here in Tennessee crossbows have become accepted and almost the norm. You see more people with crossbows than vertical bows. There are still exceptions to a few people, but for the most part no one will say anything to you. I have a nice vertical bow that has been collecting dust this year. Every time I have been out hunting I'm always reaching for my Excalibur. Reason being is because it is just better at killing deer. I mean my goodness. Unless I royally screw up the shot the deer is going down no questions asked. I do not get that many shot opportunities every year and when I do get one I want that deer down. I am a meat hunter above all else. We live off that meat all year.
I feel the same way! What area on Tn. you in?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts