Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Contacted SA Sports about a brace height for the OEM they said to set string at 13.5" from the cocked position. Have been running it at 14.0" with a Flemish Force 10 string. Have added a bumper system using Danny Miller "Rubber baby Buggy Bumpers" and it seems to quiet and reduce vibration. Have acquired a 2"longer rail for a hopeful speed increase. Will post some before and after chrono numbers.
Shout out to JoePA for some good information. I"LL be chasing the speed dragon.
BTW "The Crossbow store" has the SAS Desert Hawk for $204 with code SEP2019 shipped.

Reactions: JOE PA

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did a chrono on the new limbs, Flemish string with 14" power stroke with a 490gr arrow at 308fps. Was losing the sun late afternoon so may try again as this was my only reading not an average. Pic of the finished bumpers. IMG_20191010_184922307.jpg IMG_20191010_185719800.jpg

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got a chance to chrono the original setup with a 492gr arrow. The average was actually 302fps. Wasn't sure with declining daylight yesterday with the 308fps single reading. Did install the Vendetta rail as shown in the pics below. Had a heck of a time with rope cocking that extra two inches and extra draw weight. Finally came up with a process using as shortest rope with as preload as possible. Was shooting at avg 345fps with the 492gr arrow with the new rail for an increase from 14" to 16" draw length . One small problem was the plastic shims between the limbs and riser were split. One has been split for a while and the other was noticed today. Will order some Delrin sheet and cut new shims before continuing testing. IMG_20191012_170040826_HDR.jpg IMG_20191012_165853699_HDR.jpg IMG_20191012_165342595_HDR.jpg IMG_20191012_165819473.jpg IMG_20191012_165519676.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ordered the Delrin. Looked at some numbers. Went from about a KE of 100lbs to 130lbs. This is almost on par with my CX2 at 132lbs shooting 460gr @ 360fps. Looks like the real advantage is the Excalibur Pro Shot trigger fitted to the CX2.
Although I don't plan to shoot 350gr arrows it back figures to 410fps via the Excalibur rating system. Bought an extra set of Crusader limbs and hope they aren't needed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ordered the Delrin. Looked at some numbers. Went from about a KE of 100lbs to 130lbs. This is almost on par with my CX2 at 132lbs shooting 460gr @ 360fps. Looks like the real advantage is the Excalibur Pro Shot trigger fitted to the CX2.
Although I don't plan to shoot 350gr arrows it back figures to 410fps via the Excalibur rating system. Bought an extra set of Crusader limbs and hope they aren't needed.
Hey if you like you make your own bow I have a new set of Excalibur Bulldog 440 limbs in MO BUC that I think you could use to benefit the size and the speed of your bow. Your bow looks like if a brother and sister had a child. It’s fugly! Lol. No but in all honesty, it looks pretty cool.

Have you actually harvested deer with that bow?

If you like I can sell these limbs to you for $300 shipped if you’re in the United States. It would certainly help you gain more speed and this one is brand new. Never been installed before or shot, never been under tension. It would certainly shorten the length of your bow’s limbs and possibly increase your FPS some more because it can handle 300#’s of draw weight. PM me if you’re interested.

Otherwise, cool bow.

“Boobie”- 2019 Excalibur Bulldog 440 in MO BUC camo.

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey if you like you make your own bow I have a new set of Excalibur Bulldog 440 limbs in MO BUC that I think you could use to benefit the size and the speed of your bow. Your bow looks like if a brother and sister had a child. It’s fugly! Lol. No but in all honesty, it looks pretty cool.

Have you actually harvested deer with that bow?

If you like I can sell these limbs to you for $300 shipped if you’re in the United States. It would certainly help you gain more speed and this one is brand new. Never been installed before or shot, never been under tension. It would certainly shorten the length of your bow’s limbs and possibly increase your FPS some more because it can handle 300#’s of draw weight. PM me if you’re interested.

Otherwise, cool bow.

“Boobie”- 2019 Excalibur Bulldog 440 in MO BUC camo.

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk
Appreciate the offer but ATM it is everything I can do to muscle cock my existing set up with a rope cocker. Am happy with the current speed increase. Don't want to have to use a winch. Am going to design a better foot stirup for cocking instead of using the foot on limb method being used now. Have been using a Excalibur rope cocker and may make aluminum handles. Finished the Delrin shims couple of weeks ago and did some sighting in and gave it a good workout. Ordered some new Flemish strings and sent my old tri-color Flemmish strings to be re-served as they were slipping. Am using string builder Blacktail from this forum.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Got a chance to try out the new cocking stirrup I made. Was foot bracing against the limbs as the 2 inches of extra rail made rope cocking a strenuous ordeal. The aluminum was machined with grip grooves on the face, lightening holes and end caps to provide positive foot contact without possiblity of slipping. Cocking effort is more controllable but will make some new aluminum handles for added contact area on the hands. New Flemish string from Blacktail in the photos. Received two new Blacktail strings and he reserved two of my older tricolor Flemish strings from another maker. Very impressed the quality of his strings and the servings on the old strings. Shot a dozen times today, quite a workout. Built this for hunting not target practice. Will bead blast the stirrup to a matte finish like the bumper set I made.

Attachments

·
2,879 Posts
Good job, Willie. As you figured out, on the long strokers, you have to shorten the rope as much as you can unless you are 6'7" tall.;) I had one Middleton 375 (16.5" and 288#) that I (stupidly) put together a month after I had a TSR back in '15. Had to get my then 20 yr. old son to cock it for me.:oops: It was loud, but it was as fast as any crossbow I've shot, faster than my "405" hybrid.:) I'm impressed with the things you are making and your mods to the crossbows. Most of the "big personalities" on this and other forums buy and sell the latest and greatest, and do reviews. You, Burky, and a few others actually make/modify what you are shooting. To me, it's a greater sense of involvement and pride that way.:) Good luck with this big 'curve, and with your modified CE.:D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the good words Joe. I bought this xbow as a backup for the CX2 but it is becoming a favorite. Both are just about equal in power so might see if I can get them shooting the Wyvern Creations Dragon Claw Kit arrows about the same. Bought them last year but didn't have time to experiment before hunting season. Spine indexed them and might try some weight changes but would be sweet if I could both xbows shooting close to identical trajectory. Think I am part pet coon, can't leave anything alone and always trying to mess with everything.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I waited a couple weeks before making this post. Nice crossbow you are building. So how are the string/s n servings holding up for you ?

Reactions: abwgtx

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I waited a couple weeks before making this post. Nice crossbow you are building. So how are the string/s n servings holding up for you ?
The strings are great! No sign of serving wear, been shooting field tips with good accuracy. Made some aluminum handles last weekend and they feel a lot better in the hands. Have got cocking down to a science so am just about ready to try out broadheads. Arrows hit hard!
Thanks,
Willie

Attachments

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Nice handles, very good on the strings. May they serve you well & long

Reactions: abwgtx

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have purchased (wife bday present) a used factory crank kit. It is bulky but is a lot easier on my back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts