Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm happy with my Vixen II, and still thinking of picking up a 308 Short... but if you were looking at compound crossbows, what ticks off the boxes for Excalibur owners?

I'm thinking of things like:
- Able to change strings and cables without a press / specialty tools
- Abe to be decocked (I think this eliminates a lot of models)
- On the lighter mass weight end of the scale
- Accurate and good trigger... goes without saying

I haven't really looked into in compound crossbows lately but just curious what Excal owners think which brands / models would tick your boxes?

·
Registered
12,587 Posts
I can tell you that from what I have seen on the forums most of us that own both shoot a Scorpyd. But no decocking on all the older models. They are coming out with a crank that will work on them but it will be expensive.
I own 3 Excaliburs and a Scorpyd DS 420.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed that about Scorpyd too... I was just wondering if I was imagining things!

And everytime I look at a compound there's always the voices saying "keep it simple" lol

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Mission MXB's & i own 3 of them, yup they decock just fine

Reactions: smong2000

·
348 Posts
I've got both. Compound for spot and stalk and exocet for treestand and out of the blind.
IMG_20190701_060737.jpg

Sent from my D2403 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Mission MXB series hits all your boxes, I have an MXB400 and a BD400. If I had to pick only one to keep forever it would be the Mission, easier to cock, adjustable power, and I dare say more durable. The new Sub1 series is pretty close but a lot heavier and not proven by time yet.

·
348 Posts
Nice - what model compound is that?
It's a Carbon Express piledriver 390. There's, not a lot to choose from in South Africa. But I must say things are looking better this year with more options. I was at our Hunt and trade show at the beginning of the year and there were Raven crossbows new Excalibur takedowns, Centerpoint, Barnett, Bear crossbows, and few others. South African hunters are slowly warming up to the Crossbow life.

Sent from my D2403 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,759 Posts
I bought a Sniper by CenterPoint. I had TX_ to do a trigger job, replaced the scope and arrows, and added a sling. String can be changed without a press, and can be uncocked with rope cocker. A sweet shooting "cheap" crossbow at @ $500 with mods. Had it for 3 or 4 years now and nary a problem. It and my Excal has killed deer every year Ive owned them.;):)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got offered a great deal on Mission Sub-1 so I'm going to give that a try.
I might still pick up that 308 Short and then I better start thinking about thinning the herd!

·
Crossbow Nut
3,301 Posts
No doubt there some great wheelie bows, but I just don't want one any more. If I couldn't get a Micro, then I might buy a Mission, or Swat X1, or the new Centerpoint Wrath, or maybe the Wicked Ridge NXT400, or maybe a.........

·
Registered
24 Posts
My buddy and I bought crossbows. Long story short his shoulders my old age.He got a piledriver 390 and I a Excalibur 310. We shoot side by side. Being a little reserved I went for simplicity he went for more technology and speed. Bottom line were both happy. I enjoy the short draw stroke and doing the adjustments myself such as changing strings that the Excal affords me to do. But the cam models also have their advantages.So down the road who knows!

·
Registered
435 Posts
308, or 360 td would be my pick. I have a sniper 370 as back up.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I'm wanting to get a second crossbow, there is a lot of nice ones on the market. I'm thinking either the Wicked Ridge RDX400 or KI's Furious 9.5 I'm keeping my investment under $1ooo, if I can find a used Scorpyd or Mission Sub-1 I'd give them a good look too!

Reactions: smong2000

·
Registered
12,587 Posts
I'm wanting to get a second crossbow, there is a lot of nice ones on the market. I'm thinking either the Wicked Ridge RDX400 or KI's Furious 9.5 I'm keeping my investment under $1ooo, if I can find a used Scorpyd or Mission Sub-1 I'd give them a good look too!
Look at the Scorpyd Silver vent that just hit the classifieds. That is a good deal..

·
5,057 Posts
RARELY, is a crossbow an investment. It’s just an expenditure. Bought at the right price and then equipped appropriately, a higher performing Excalibur can at least be a break even proposition. The last 3 crossbows I sold were Excaliburs. Nothing was lost on those. One had been owned 6 years, another, 5 years.
Compounds become dated quickly. Google/whatever, 2014 crossbow companies of any brand for their 2014 catalog and just think what has happened. Those dinosaurs are close to worthless in today's market place. Many Excaliburs have lost less, the SWAT still has a demand.
I think what your looking at shows great judgement.

·
Happy Member
5,775 Posts
No more compound bows for me! I’m sticking with Excalibur until I’m done with hunting!

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Look at the Scorpyd Silver vent that just hit the classifieds. That is a good deal..
That looks like a ready good deal, wonder where he is located. I want to shoot whatever I buy next, I shot a new Sub1-XR yesterday and I liked it but its more than I'm going to pay. Not saying its not worth it, I'm just not going that high on price. I'll be honest here, MY WIFE WOULD KILL ME! :eek:o_O:rolleyes:

I've never handled a Scorpyd but they sound like a good crossbow, so I'm going to drive somewhere when the time comes to buy one. I've thought about the Death Stalker and taking a trip south to Jerry's but I'm old school or whatever, just not sure about the one piece rail, riser system. Long term how will that bow hold up? Lots of nice crossbows on the market!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts