Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
RARELY, is a crossbow an investment. It’s just an expenditure. Bought at the right price and then equipped appropriately, a higher performing Excalibur can at least be a break even proposition. The last 3 crossbows I sold were Excaliburs. Nothing was lost on those. One had been owned 6 years, another, 5 years.
Compounds become dated quickly. Google/whatever, 2014 crossbow companies of any brand for their 2014 catalog and just think what has happened. Those dinosaurs are close to worthless in today's market place. Many Excaliburs have lost less, the SWAT still has a demand.
The crossbow market is like the vertical bow market - recurves tend to hold value when 2nd hand (like Border, or custom bows) while compounds all drop like a rock after 3 years.

I plan to hold onto my Sub-1 for a while. Still have my 2014 Hoyt Faktor, ancient by compound standards.
My Vixen II is going strong and if I sold it in a moment of madness, I would get back most of what I paid for it.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
This title made me laugh out loud. All I hear is how simplicity is what is best about these crossbows and now?.... :D

Anyway... I hear you.
Oneida Phoenix. This bow requires no bow press and is super easy to work on with many videos (by the manufacturer) available to people who want to wrench on their bows. I own both xcalibur and Oneida. Both are great bows when it comes down to simplicity.

More facts about the Oneida. It holds its resale better than any other compound bow line. It is the most efficient of any compound out there. The efficiency of the Oneida design has been proven out in printed reports as well as reports posted in a video format for decades. Easy to find.
No louder than any other mass produced bow. Also proven out on videos hosted on youtube.
The easiest drawing compound made. Also proven out via draw curve analyses and through video proof, with testimonials which have existed since the 80's.

The one detractor for many is that it is an IBO 320 bow. That said...
For all the positives, 320 is not a negative.

·
Registered
12,489 Posts
This title made me laugh out loud. All I hear is how simplicity is what is best about these crossbows and now?.... :D

Anyway... I hear you.
Oneida Phoenix. This bow requires no bow press and is super easy to work on with many videos (by the manufacturer) available to people who want to wrench on their bows.
The title made you laugh yet it specifically says compound crossbow in the title. When did the Oneida Phoenix become a compound crossbow? Are you certain you read the title before laughing at it? :confused::eek::rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
The title made you laugh yet it specifically says compound crossbow in the title. When did the Oneida Phoenix become a compound crossbow? Are you certain you read the title before laughing at it? :confused::eek::rolleyes:
Oh.... My bad dude!
I am generally multitasking on the laptop and I guess all I saw was compound :D
Still....
Had I seen that, I still would have had the same chuckle. I mean...
What I first said (before mentioning a vertical bow) would still be said, with the full title being addressed.

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm happy with my Vixen II, and still thinking of picking up a 308 Short... but if you were looking at compound crossbows, what ticks off the boxes for Excalibur owners?

I'm thinking of things like:
- Able to change strings and cables without a press / specialty tools
- Abe to be decocked (I think this eliminates a lot of models)
- On the lighter mass weight end of the scale
- Accurate and good trigger... goes without saying

I haven't really looked into in compound crossbows lately but just curious what Excal owners think which brands / models would tick your boxes?
I would consider, maybe, the Mission Sub1 XR. Just kind of for the quality of it, and because they are made in the USA. I would probably take one if I got it for free, but I am too cheap to pay what they’re selling for.

My matrix 350 is quite accurate enough. I recently got a micro 335 with a wooden stock (haven’t shot it). Some day maybe soon I will get rid of my vortex, ibex metal rail, black vixen and deerhide brown vixen.

One crossbow that looks very nice to me is the Excalibur assassin 420. I kind of imagine going in before dark with the crossbow disassembled. Get all the way into the tree before taking it out of the case. Maybe some day when I can’t cock the matrix 350.

The narrower feature of compounds is a plus I guess, but it’s not worth the $$$ to me.

Also I would like to have a kodabow scout recurve. Interesting kodabow has come out with no new models for many years. No need to when the bow is already just right.

There’s two more recurves I want. I guess I’m not getting a compound any time soon.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm happy with my Vixen II, and still thinking of picking up a 308 Short... but if you were looking at compound crossbows, what ticks off the boxes for Excalibur owners?

I'm thinking of things like:
- Able to change strings and cables without a press / specialty tools
- Abe to be decocked (I think this eliminates a lot of models)
- On the lighter mass weight end of the scale
- Accurate and good trigger... goes without saying

I haven't really looked into in compound crossbows lately but just curious what Excal owners think which brands / models would tick your boxes?
Sold my Excalibur and got a Scorpyd it fills all your boxes.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I like Excals and Ravins myself. Is it my imagination or did Excals get heavier over the years?

I used to love my excals because they were simple and light.

·
Registered
Excalibur ExoMax, Nemesis 480
2 Posts
Just started into crossbow's, I bought a used Exomax 2 years ago and really like it alot but just like when I went from vertical recurve's to compounds I like the speed so I just bought a used fully loaded Scorpyd Nemesis 480 and all I can say is wow it shoots great really haven't had the string issue yet so we will see. It does however have a target problem though, it blows thru them and strips the fletch off, so much for no speed limit. Plan on using both for hunting. The Exomax is rock solid sure bet on function and Nemesis is more compact, balanced and easier to handle.

·
Registered
12,489 Posts
Any time you shoot the same holes over and over you will start getting pass throughs. Turn the target and shoot the back often and pick different spots to shoot.

·
Registered
Excalibur ExoMax, Nemesis 480
2 Posts
Thanks, thats what the maker of the target suggested as well and it did help alot but on occasion my Exomax would poke thru as well but not enough to damage the arrow. 100 or so shots with the new to me Nemesis and these weak spots are unforgiving. Most likely I'll take the bottom off in the spring and redistribute the filler. Overall It's been a great target and still looks like new but this bow just hits alot harder.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
As a bit of conclusion, in the end I purchased a Mathews Sub-1, then sold it.... it was heavy (relatively speaking) and didn't really want to contend with all the cables but it was a nice shooter. I ended up with the 308 Short and a new old stock Sapphire (which is still stuck in the USA since I haven't be able to get stateside) - I suspect the Sapphire will be my goldilocks in between the Vixen II and the 308 Short, so I may get down to 1 crossbow.

I know, very unlikely lol

·
Registered
496 Posts
If I had to buy a compound crossbow today, it would be between the KI Swat X1 or the Tenpoint Siege.

·
Registered
143 Posts
That looks like a ready good deal, wonder where he is located. I want to shoot whatever I buy next, I shot a new Sub1-XR yesterday and I liked it but its more than I'm going to pay. Not saying its not worth it, I'm just not going that high on price. I'll be honest here, MY WIFE WOULD KILL ME! :eek:o_O:rolleyes:

I've never handled a Scorpyd but they sound like a good crossbow, so I'm going to drive somewhere when the time comes to buy one. I've thought about the Death Stalker and taking a trip south to Jerry's but I'm old school or whatever, just not sure about the one piece rail, riser system. Long term how will that bow hold up? Lots of nice crossbows on the market!
I also using Excal and Scorpyd DS. With the DS I did more than 2000 shots, looks like new. No doubts, solid and high quality.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts