Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
It needs to have two things so you are not freehand cutting. A stop block or adjustable length stop to place the nock end against and a support at the cutting disk adjusted so the disk is only cutting a little deeper than the wall thickness. Then you hold the arrow against the stop block and the support at the disk while you rotate the shaft. Continue rotating the shaft one more revolution after it is cut all the way around.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a arrow cutoff saw. Just need to shorten the stops for these. I use it for cutting off my arrows for my longbow, but they are wood. Just wanted to make sure I could cut carbon with it. Thanks

·
Vendor
1,617 Posts
Make sure you control the dust, you don't want to breath it

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Make sure you control the dust, you don't want to breath it
I had multiple service vans in my territory for my reps and they used these types of tools and materials on surgical stainless steel working in a contained area. Never a health issue in my 30 plus years before I sold that business. Yep, just simple COVID-19 type style face mask and you are set to go. Good observation TN.

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
I have a arrow cutoff saw. Just need to shorten the stops for these. I use it for cutting off my arrows for my longbow, but they are wood. Just wanted to make sure I could cut carbon with it. Thanks
Pics? Love to see your setup.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There’s a couple of pictures of my cut off saw. Found out that a field point fit perfectly in the alpha nock insert so the arrow stays straight while cutting it.

·
Vendor
1,617 Posts
I had multiple service vans in my territory for my reps and they used these types of tools and materials on surgical stainless steel working in a contained area. Never a health issue in my 30 plus years before I sold that business. Yep, just simple COVID-19 type style face mask and you are set to go. Good observation TN.
Just because there were no symptoms doesnt mean dust wasn't breathed in.

I have two arrow cutting stations in the shop

The first was setup with a very high-end commercial shop vac using a hepa filter and a filter bag . The vac was placed in the attic of the shop. If you were to see the attic it would blow your mind, the entire attic is covered with a layer of micro dust that managed to get through both filters

Many years ago we adapter the ACs filtering system so we could have a hepa pre-filter then a very high end 4in thick filter behind it

We also added a commercial air filtration system that scrubs the shops air and we still get an extremely light dust

The second saw station was done in a way that it pumps the dust out of the building through the back wall

The only reason I haven't converted the first saw it its only used now as a backup

I wish someone would do a cancer study on archery shop owners over a long period of time it may be an eye opener

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Just because there were no symptoms doesnt mean dust wasn't breathed in.

I have two arrow cutting stations in the shop

The first was setup with a very high-end commercial shop vac using a hepa filter and a filter bag . The vac was placed in the attic of the shop. If you were to see the attic it would blow your mind, the entire attic is covered with a layer of micro dust that managed to get through both filters

Many years ago we adapter the ACs filtering system so we could have a hepa pre-filter then a very high end 4in thick filter behind it

We also added a commercial air filtration system that scrubs the shops air and we still get an extremely light dust

The second saw station was done in a way that it pumps the dust out of the building through the back wall

The only reason I haven't converted the first saw it its only used now as a backup

I wish someone would do a cancer study on archery shop owners over a long period of time it may be an eye opener
I did that on wheels in a very small contained areas with 8 specialized service reps for 30 plus years in my franchised territory. The amount of dust floating around way exceeds carbon dust from arrows. Polishing compounds, abrasives working 4-12 hour days in service vans working on stainless steel to polish, grind and refurbish. I had high end dust collecting systems installed but dust would collect throughout the day. We wore basic face masks. Never one issue. Could here be, possibly. However, I was part of a national franchise with hundreds of similar vehicles all over the country and never had one person died from lung or cancer related issues in my previous business enterprise experience. There be days with dust coated on our arms. I know your setup well similarly when it comes to floating dust particles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts