Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching Pigman last night and they were in Oklahoma hunting Deer, Pigs, and bear. Dap left the Scorpyd cocked in the blind all day when it was like 105 degrees inside. Needless to say "POP" the string went. Then he reads the label on the riser and it says something like "Do not leave cocked for an extended period of time". Dap is a bit of a dope, or at least he plays one on the show, but I was surprised that a Scorpyd would let loose like that from sitting cocked in a blind for a days' worth of a hunt. I'm pretty sure it was damaged after that, because they wound up getting him a different XB to use.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hmmmm....

Im glad I don’t watch TV...

A lot of stored energy... but can’t see how temp would effect the string...

Just wondering along here.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm....

Im glad I don’t watch TV...

A lot of stored energy... but can’t see how temp would effect the string...

Just wondering along here.
They didn't get real deep in to the issue, so i assume it was the string. Maybe it was the cables, no clue

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I've had my Scorpyds cocked all day or over night with no string going pop. I would say more than 12hrs cocked at times.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was with my father in law at his lake house and we went over to one of his friends house and he had a sweet man garage and 1 room was dedicated to his hunting gear. I swear this guy has all of his crossbows completely cocked, he said most of them have been like that for years LOL

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if it was from an accidendal nick in the string from a broadhead, or something like that. A little weak spot is all it would take after a while.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I was watching Pigman last night and they were in Oklahoma hunting Deer, Pigs, and bear. Dap left the Scorpyd cocked in the blind all day when it was like 105 degrees inside. Needless to say "POP" the string went. Then he reads the label on the riser and it says something like "Do not leave cocked for an extended period of time". Dap is a bit of a dope, or at least he plays one on the show, but I was surprised that a Scorpyd would let loose like that from sitting cocked in a blind for a days' worth of a hunt. I'm pretty sure it was damaged after that, because they wound up getting him a different XB to use.
Let's be a little bit more clear on some facts about this incident. For openers, there was no malfunction of a ScorpyD crossbow in this show. What we do have is a string that broke. Maybe the string was on it's way out to begin with and maybe it was a defective string to begin with. We'll never know in either case. For the record ScorpyD does not make and produce their own cables and strings, so a string problem is not reflective of the quality of anything they make.

Next, It's scary just how many people own crossbows and even vertical bows and don't carry an extra set of cables and strings with them at all times when using their equipment. This guy couldn't have been the sharpest tool in the shed if he was going on an away hunt and bring extra everything. Further, basic common sense tells most people it's a bad idea to leave their crossbow cocked and loaded all day in 105 degree weather. Although carbon limbs should be able to handle these temperatures, your not doing yourself any favors by doing it.

You stated this must have damaged the crossbow. Not necessarily true. If the guy was to dumb to have an extra replacement string or they wanted to bypass re-zeroing and re-sighting in the crossbow again before returning to the hunt they might have had an extra crossbow with them to shortcut the process. Filming time combined with camp or lodge costs are expensive for a show host and his crew, so it might make more sense to just grab the backup crossbow and get back to it.

Just one mans thoughts!

·
8,841 Posts
Had to … be a damaged string. I can't even imagine that it was a "defective" string! What's there to a string that could be defective? One strand maybe? The string maker would have to be blind not to see multiple defective strands. I've left a Scorpyd cocked in the backseat of my truck for a week and it went on to kill a boatload of deer afterwards. To this day I constantly have it cocked from 6:00am until 10:00pm in all sorts of weather.

Reactions: Ironminer

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jon....You are correct in that I was assuming the bow was damaged after it "went off" while being cocked. My post was for entertainment and to point out to others that perhaps it's not wise to leave your XB cocked for any longer than is necessary, especially in very hot climates. That being said, there is a pretty good likelihood seeing as how the bow was basically dry fired for all intents and purposes, it sustained some sort of limb damage. Again, I am not knocking Scorpyd bows. It just so happened to be a Scorpyd in that episode. Now if it were a Barnett XB, I'd be all over that opportunity to trash talk them. HA!HA!HA!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts