Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,222 Posts
Sounds like a fun job, too bad SoCal. isn't a good place to do it from. Not much in the way of crossbow shooting...of ANY kind here.

Mike

·
Registered
8,593 Posts
If I am not mistaken California does not recognize the crossbow as "archery equipment". Therefore crossbows are relegated to gun season or you must have a disability to hunt in archery season! Definitely NOT an ideal state for crossbow hunters.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
this one state that maybe I can't make the statement,,,,, it will be soon,,,,,,, in, it is a state that doesn't agree well with comm on sense!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Colorado has the same problems. Crossbows are legal only in rifle season unless you have a Hadicap exemption, and then you have to be with a hunter that is able to hunt without the exemption. Plus sights are limited to Iorn sights, "seeall" sights, and 1x red dot sights. Draw weight has to be above 125#, and "Draw Length" has to be over 14". Did not know that a crossbow has a "Draw Length" there is no push, pull thing going on like there is with a verticle bow, when it is drawn. The law states the length from where the limbs and rail would intersect to the point that the string and knock of the bolt would meet when the crossbow is cocked and loaded. But when you ask the park ranges they state they would measure the point where the string and knock meet when loaded to where the string is when the crossbow is not cocked, so a power stroke. Bolts have to be longer then 16" and broadheads need to be a min of 2 in a single plain, cutting blades 7/8" each.

We also have to remember that Darton is an archery company with compondbows for target shoting, and hunting. There would be a good amount of work here for a Darton rep. Darton and Mission could make a lot of money here in Colorado in both Vertical, and Crossbows, and would benefit well from having a rep here. There are a lot of Archery shops and clubs, a fair number of archery ranges. many of these archery ranges do welcome crossbow shooters. Some require us to bring our own targets, others have lanes just for crossbows with crossbow targets in place.

TenPoint, and Scorpyd reps would have a difficult time here in Colorado right now because of the laws and that they do not support crossbow use. But Darton, and Mission would do well, and may even be able to loby the government for laws that make sence and keep up witth the Archery industry.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Lazarus.......; Why would TenPoint and/or Scorpyd Reps have a difficult time in CO whereas Mission and/or Darton would not?? Seems Scorpyd with their longer power stroke and draw weights fit CO’s criteria fairly well. Don’t fully understand your rationale but maybe reasons for it so please explain. I could see where Ravin wouldn’t do well as they don’t have a single crossbow with a 14”
power stroke .

·
Registered
179 Posts
it is all about the state of Colorado wild game laws in general. They are most restrictive on the crossbow, allowing tthem only in rifle season, with 1x sights, seeall sights, or iorn sights. They are also restrictive on verticle bows with special requirements, and rifles must be 25 caliber and above. Archery is starting to take a foot hold in Colorado as a sport Paper target, 3D target and to a lower extent the protected vertical bow hunting season.

Darton, Mission, Bear, and PSE all sell vertical as well as crossbows. Darton and Mission deal solely with Archery Proshops. That is not to say that you will not find Bear, and PSE in these proshops, but they are also found in the box stores. The Proshops in colorado outsell the box stores in archery equipment. The box stores sell crossbows and vertical bows mostly as an interesting add on to fire arm sales. Buyer be ware of the state laws at the box stores. They will sell you an illegal crossbow, or vertical bow and not say a word about it. Will give the sales person at the box store the benifit of doubt and feel that they just do not know the requireents for crossbow or verticle bow to be legal in Colorado.

The way the market currently is in Colorado there is no market for crossbows. To be able to sell crossbows right now it is an extra in an Archery proshop. Archery School of the Rockies last crossbow sale before mine was 4 years ago. they usually carry a crossbow in store as a demo and a toy of sorts for customers to occasionally play witth. They make there money on verticle bows and Archery classes, range use, amature teams, fun shooting leages. As do almost all of the other Archery proshops.

Scorpyd, and TenPoint make very good crossbows, but do not make verticle bows. The problem is currently in Colorado to sell crossbows, one must sell verticle bows and other services around archery to be able to make money between the very rare crossbow sale. This is why Darton and Mission can lead the way in Colorado for Archery and crossbows in acceptance for sport and hunting.

·
2,737 Posts
The advantage I could see with Darton is because they have vertical shooters all around the country so there name is known... I don't know that much, in fact nothing about the crossbow laws in Colorado....
I'm sure people that can use a crossbow in CO. have heard more about TP than Darton though...

Mike

·
Registered
179 Posts
But the big question is how many of the TenPoint that are sold in Colorado are legal to use for hunting or meet ASA requirements for sport in Colorado. How much do you pay the state for using an illegal crossbow for hunting? How much does it cost you to replace the crossbow you bought the state of Colorado, or to get a crossbow that meets ASA requirements so you can shoot at the next contest. TenPoint has an excellent return policy, but do not think they cover having your crossbow convecated by the state of Colorado for not meeting game requirements, or not being allowed to shoot at ASA competitions for not meeting requirements? Would firing a Parker decocking bolt be a legal arrow for ASA rules? Would that decocking bolt be big enough to get under the 330fps speed limit?

TenPoint is not beeting Darton for sales in Colorado, if they are itt is by single digits. The box stores are unloading low end CenterPoint, and low end Barnets in the $300 price range. Even CenterPoint, and Barnet fans would not recomend these models to you. Every holiday they seem to have some $300 crossbow for sale, never a Killer Instinct.

TenPoint is a quality company, most crossbows in or closes to $1000, 2 models under, and 2 models well over. The otheretend to be very close. Most people are going to make sure they can at lest use the crossbow in rifle season before purchase. When they find out the scope is illegal, they will buy it and put their own red dot on it. Or TenPoint will tell them that they will sell them a demo model through their direct retailer with out a scope, or refer them to David to sell them one without a scope. Not sure if you want to count a TenPoint actually sold in Kentecky, or New England for someone in Colorado as a TenPoint sold in Colorado. David will make you awearof the Colorado law before he sells to you. But is not likely to accept return when the state makes you awear of the law. But nicer then the box store that will not tell you about the law.

But back to the original problem of why TenPoint or Scorpyd at present would have a difficult time in Colorado. It is not that they do not have good products. They do. they both have products with slight modifications would even be legal in Colorado. TenPoint is very rigid and will not make modifications to make their crossblws legal in Colorado. It is a modification that a retailer can make if they can afford to or wish to. it is a business decision and TenPoint is making plenty of money without making accomodations for Colorado state laws. Scorpyd is a more friendly company and will make accomodations for Colorado state law and ASA or IBO game rules. Scorpyd you need to get at a archery proshop, TenPoint you can purchase at the box store. But neither TenPoint or Scorpyd sell verticle bows. There are only so many crossbows sold in Colorado for sport, or hunting, or combonation of sport and hunting. At current times an archery shop to sell crossbows in Colorado will also need to sell vertical bows and offer other services like lessons, shooting ranges, shooting teams, social leagues, and competative leages. Archery School of the Rockies is in Colorado Springs. The second largest city in Colorado, and is among the largest retailer proshop in Colorado. Before my crossbow, the last crossbow they sold was 4 years ago.

Yes crossbow will come into Colorado. Maybe first as a sport like verticle bow is now. Then as a hunting alternative, like for me. I have lost to much of me to Cancer Calcexia to control a hunting rifle, and will end up in the hospital trying to control a hunting rifle, In rifle season I must use a crossbow. Today I did find out I can draw back a 35# verticle bow, barely legal in Colorado. Can I develop the skills needed to hunt with a compound bow in Archery season? This remains to be seen. Very different then the 30 to 50# recurves I played with in scout camp as a kid. Felt like a Private at Basic Training, with the experience of a Sergeant. Then into main stream hunting. Maybe ASA or IBO needing a long distance crossbow division, instead of 40 and 45 yard like verticle bows, something around 100 yard. But it will need to be the Archery companies that deal in both Verticle and Crossbows that bring this about. Retailers need to live

Reactions: beervo2
1 - 12 of 12 Posts