Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is thinking bout getting into a little shorter limbed high accuracy bow. And wants something very realible. I highly reccomed taking a look at the Viper. 100% functional. Whan I pull the trigger on a Darton, only thought goes thru my mind is how am I getting that one to the truck. Good stuff garrentied.

·
1,220 Posts
Great to hear someone that's NOT whining about something..!

Great to hear that you are happy with your bow.. I'm very happy with my Rebel also. Just can't shoot it right now with a broken collar bone..!
Darton seems to be that bow that people are afraid of, or maybe don't know about because they don't advertise. They seem to be, if not "the" best, they are at least one of the top crossbow makers out there. They've had few, if any problems...of any kind. Every manufacturer will have problem items at one time or another, but I think Darton is at the top with the fewest overall.

Mike

·
Banned
87 Posts
Mike said:

Great to hear that you are happy with your bow.. I'm very happy with my Rebel also. Just can't shoot it right now with a broken collar bone..!
Darton seems to be that bow that people are afraid of, or maybe don't know about because they don't advertise. They seem to be, if not "the" best, they are at least one of the top crossbow makers out there. They've had few, if any problems...of any kind. Every manufacturer will have problem items at one time or another, but I think Darton is at the top with the fewest overall.

Mike
Darton a great company in middle 1980s my Dad have a very pretty wood riser compound verb bow,,Darton and Kodabow just keep Ticking like a Timex Watch ,doing my homework Darton is thee most dependable compound ,A Sleeper xbow many of a deer has taken the dirt nap with DARTONS........

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike said:

Mike
Man I hear ya. I don't get that. I've asked other serious hunters if they ever seen any Darton advertiseing and everyone says no. I haven't seen or met anybody whos ever seen any Darton advertiseing. No idea why. Every time I talk to Ted or Wes or Laura their just great folk. Maybe sales are just where they want them and dont want to increase production in fear of quality impact? No idea, but they've taken great care of me every single time Ive dealt with um, product really puts meat in the ground no muss no fuss. I dont mind telling everyone. I love Darton. They've taken better care of me then any other major arms manufacture I've ever dealt with. I also only shoot Remington guns, dealt with them for many many years but the Darton company really takes customer service to the next level even above them. Its just amazing they don't advertise. Can't understand it at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you buy it locally or online? Reason is, I see your over in Hillsdale area and Im not too far, if there is a dealer close that I can check out a Darton in person.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope. I either get them from
Darton or Wyvern. Haven't needed a dealer cept to change strings. Cabelas usually does it for free. Arrows and stuff from SSA, strings from Viper X. Only the best on line archery suppliers I know.
If your getting a bow, and you cant find somewhere with one. PM me, I'd let you shoot mine. Ted recently did me a favor I kind of owe him a favor. Or, just call Ted at Darton and ask him whos got what on the shelf round here. Great guy, serious hunter.
Less you really need the 400fps you'll probably perfer the Viper. Gave me the behind the tree shot last week. But the Fireforce will run slicktricks thru whitetails the long way no problem (my favorite shot]. Haven't shot the Rebel or held a Toxin. But if its Darton its good s##t. And, IMO, the Pro Packages are really worth the money. Thinks its the only factory supplied scope Ive ever been really been happy with. IMO.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Can anyone tell me what years the darton viper ss was produced? I purchased a used darton viper ss and its my first crossbow purchase. I keep putting arrows in the same hole all the time. I don't have anything to compare them to because I haven't owned any other cross bow. I have started shooting some other crossbows of late, I want to keep 2 crossbows on hand:) I would like to be able to decock a crossbow if I need to also. I don't think it would be good to constantly decock one looking at how other crossbows are decocked with a string cocker. My buddy at the sporting goods store told me that darton is definitely a sleeper and they have a lot of patents out and I thought he said darton spends a lot of time selling their patented parts.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Viper SS is a current model today not sure if they'll continue the model this year. Viper SS Extreme is no longer available. If your putting arrows in the same hole that's as good as it gets, only thing it compares to is another bow that puts arrows in the same hole. Lots of um out there that can do that. Both Barnett and ManKung (cheap crap) can put an arrow in the same hole. Till the bow breaks. Can't say I've ever bought or shot a crossbow and thought about how to uncock it. With respect, if the ability to uncock the crossbow is a priority you will have to go with another brand. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
247 Posts
DuckhuntingUSA,
Thanks for the info, I like the darton, I will try a small discharge target next year. I purchased this bow used just before december archery season started and did not like having to discharge an arrow after each hunt. I have already purchased another crossbow that can be decocked. The darton is extremely well built and fairly narrow. I had no idea they were that accurate. Thanks again

·
Registered
26 Posts
If decocking is what you want, camx crossbows are setup for it. I have one and didn't think much about decocking when I bought it but after using it a couple years it is a very nice feature.
I am a longtime darton fan owning a darton trail boss for 12 yrs with ZERO problems, harvested a lot of deer with that bow.
I bought a camx simply because it felt the best to me when shouldered which was second to reliability.
Had I not tried the camx, I would have a darton, they are good bows.

Good Luck

·
Registered
247 Posts
bandit98,
I purchased the darton viper used from my local sporting goods store so I could extend my deer season this last fall. I did not even realize then they had crossbows you could decock. The stryker katana also has the decock feature, and so does the kodabow and I think excaliburs do too. I purchased a kodabow and it will probably be my hunting bow now. I have a local guy that loves dartons and he has an older one and wants to upgrade. I also have a brand new benelli 20 ga semi auto that he wants so were trying to make a deal that is good for both of us. I was going to keep the darton for a back up, but its just gonna sit during deer season. The kodabow is so bullet proof I don't think anything could ever go wrong with it. Darton should be one of the top compound crossbows out there, I know other brands sell better, its a well kept secret, but it shouldn't be. And made in Michigan too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts