Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... today was the infamous day that I got together with my bud Brian and we had our friendly comparison.

We shot each bow at several ranges using the Stryker carbon crossbow bolts. We started by really putitng the Darton through its paces at several different ranges. The first red dot was good out to thrity two yards. Brian spent more time shooting the Darton than he did his Desert Stryker.

Bottom Line. We both like dthe Impact trigger BETTER than the trigger on his DStryker. THough for the record his first DStryker had a much nicer trigger than his current one. The trigger on this DStryker rattles a great deal. Score one for Darton.

Quietness: The Stryker had more of a thap sound while the Impact was more like a whip crack. both were quiet but I had to concede that the DS was slightly quieter.

VIbration on shot. Draw. Both were incredibly steady and rock solid.

Accuracy. Brian is a beter shot so he took both through their paces. At twenty yards both were dead on. Ditto at thirty yards. At 45 yards both were still on target but mine seemed to pull a bit to the right about one inch. Brian said that I needed to adjust the windage on my scope. We did and the Impact was back on center again.

70 yards; here's where the Impact IMO was the victor. We could get better groupings at this distance with the Impact. Brian was duly impressed and I was stunned at how well this Crossbow was performing.

Weight/balance. I reluctantly have to give this to the Stryker by a small edge. IT was tough becasue the Stryker could be adjusted where the Impact cannot. However the center balancing on the Impact was quite decent. However, score for the DS.

Speed. IMPACT... no question. We both agreed that the Darton was faster, much to both of our amazements.

So what's the bottom line? The Impact is one hell of a crossbow and so is the Desert Stryker. I enjoyed the Impact and again was amazed at how well this weapon performed. I honestly anticipated coming in second in every category.

Now here's someting we detected onthe Impact that has me bummed. I noticed that the left rail on my Impact, under the string at rest, does NOT touch the string but the rail on the right hand side does make string contact ever so slightly. Brian, being a Carpenter by trace had a straight edge and we detected a slight bend in the front three to four inches of the Impact's flight deck. I was heartbroken... my bow has a bent fight rail. It didn't seem to effect the bows performance though but I don't know if this is harmful and will damage the crossbow or it's something I can ignore. The arrows don't seem to be totally seated.

Mike, please weigh in. If it's a serious problem I guess I'm gonna have to send it out for repair and eat the cost. All of a sudden the crossbow wasn't such a bargain. E-bay buyer beware.

Overall though the bow seemed to perform despite the defect. For $350.00 I got a bargain. If it costs me $300 to fix the problem I'm still ahead of the game.

·
1,222 Posts
Well....

Not knowing exactly how you checked the rail with a straight edge...I'm not sure...but...

On one hand, like Urban says...if it's shooting as well as it is...

On the other hand, if you're like me...I think I'd at least call Darton and talk to them about it. Make sure you talk to someone other than the receptionest!
With the string not having equal load on the track....that IS one reason I sent my first Stryker back! The bow was on the track at an angle! Sounds very similar.
For that much money...I....wanted a "straight" one !

Like I say, talk to Darton, get an idea about how much it "may" cost. Go from there.
Hmmm...just thinking while writing...check the limbs themselves. See if the low side can be pushed up and or the high side can be forced down.
How does the riser look compared to the track as far as being on the same plain?
I'd still call Darton. I have talked to the Darton rep. thru this site about the trigger pull...we e-mailed back and forth a few notes. They did seem very helpfull and not afraid to talk about something (the trigger) that some bow companies don't want to talk about.

Yea...e-bay's always a [email protected] shoot.
My Fireforce I bought new...but the Stinger and the Impact I bought thru e-bay. Both in very good condition. The Stinger has a light scratch on the side of the track...just cosmetic. Other than that, both of mine were good.
I was very surprised at the condition of the Barnett Thunderbolt I got thru e-bay! More of a toy...but I had one WAYYY back and sold it. It's a very short crossbow...just kinda spacey looking. Anyway..it's like new. Was very surprised a bow that old would be in that good a condition. Ya just never know!

Let us know what happens...good luck...hope it's not too painfull !

Mike

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be speaking with Ted Harphim(sp?) from Darton this afternoon. My friend Brian and he are friendly and Brian made a courtesy call for me first thing this morning and discussed the issue with Ted. Ihave Ted's cell and will give him a call later. Brian said he's eager to talk to me. Cool.

I'll keep you posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts