Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One month ago I put up two trail cams. I checked them after two weeks to find a nice ten point buck dead by one of the cameras. I had some good shooter bucks in the photos but could not tell what happened to the dead one. There were also lots of coyote pictures after the deer was dead. Two weeks later I had only a coupe deer photos. Will they come back?
Plant Deer Natural material Wood Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Coyotes hopefully moved on. Once they feel safe they’ll come back. I hate seeing deer taken by predators or disease but it’s the way it’s supposed to be maybe?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
It is rare for coyotes to get a deer that size unless there is a lot of snow or deer us injured or sick

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Coyotes hopefully moved on. Once they feel safe they’ll come back. I hate seeing deer taken by predators or disease but it’s the way it’s supposed to be maybe?
If it was the same deer I had a few trail cam pics of he looked healthy. There were several that looked about like this one. A couple of the does looked very thin. I thought that was due to fawns nursing.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Not that yotes couldn't have killed that buck but I highly doubt they did. More than likely it was disease or some injury.

Reactions: AlinMi

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Much EHD this year in your area? Was it near water? EHD tends to send them there for fever relief.
If you can find a hoof, does it look normal? The hoof covering will bend up and will slough off from the disease.

Reactions: R. Toker

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Lots of causes for death in the natural order of things. CWD is a biggie here, along with Hemratic Fever when it has been excessively dry. Drought causes the deer to congregate around what ever water is available and either they pass or to one another or they are easy targets for infecting insects.

Also can't rule out getting hit by a car. The yotes just did their job of cleaning up the carcass. Highly unlikely they took that deer unless it was sick or injured.

Always hate to see a nice buck die that way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Much EHD this year in your area? Was it near water? EHD tends to send them there for fever relief.
If you can find a hoof, does it look normal? The hoof covering will bend up and will slough off from the disease.
I called the game warden and asked if there were reports of dead deer, he said no. He said maybe blue tongue. A couple does were extremely thin. About 8 years ago we lost deer to EHD. I found a buck in the pond. This dead buck was 100 yards from a pond but not many deer drink from it due to steep banks. I'll wait three weeks to check my camera and hope for the best. I probably won't hunt till the corn is picked. I would have a heart attack if I had to drag a deer through 7' corn.

·
Registered
14,675 Posts
Is the carcass near your camera? Might be the stench keeping them away.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good idea, I didn't think to look at the hooves. I shot a buck a few years back that had a funky 8" droptine. Both back hooves only had a half hoof. The taxidermist said that the deer survived EHD.
Elk Organism Deer Natural material Fawn

·
Registered
14,675 Posts
They'll be back. They havent went far.

Reactions: Kingjoel
1 - 16 of 16 Posts