Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy here in CT has been using my 390SL and loving the whole xbow experience. He now wants a xbow of his own , he doesn't want to go more that 1k for bare xbow.
I was thinking the Deathstalker. He doesnt wants to stay with a USA product. no Centerpoint or KI. He is a strict hunter, none of this 50 arrows a day target stuff. Just sight it in and hunt. I was worried about him cocking it. He is 5-6 and strong. Also with a 470gr arrow what would the fps be? This would be for ladderstand with shooting rail hunting over feeder. Shots would be under 30 yards. I was thinking used or new.

· Registered
1,835 Posts
General rule is every ten grains you lose three feet....fourty one FPS if you. Go with the ds 420....so in the neighbourhood of three eighty with a ton of kinetic energy....
I use the short rope cocker with my GR......
Your friend could just shorten the cocking rope and if he is fairly strong,should be no issue...
Get him set up with some of Jerry’s arrows with u nocks and that would be a killer bow for thirty and in.
JMO.....

· Registered
1,172 Posts
I am 5'8" and use the DS 380 with the short cocker. No problem. I also use the Silver Vent #150 with short cocker. No problem there either.
The Deathstalker is unlike any bow you'll ever shoot or hunt with.

· Banned
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,724 Posts
Love my DS 380 ! It fits like a glove ! It will become part of you! Something about that one piece rail/riser gives life to it ! It all just grows into you ! I want the 420 so bad I can't stop thinking about it.

· Banned
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,724 Posts
I think Scorpyd should stick to the one piece carbon technology they invented and just keep elaborating on it.

2,332 Posts
Having worked for Jim at the ATA show the past 4-5 years, I been able to shoot all of them. If he is just a hunter like you said and keeps his shots to less than 40 yards, 110 lb limbs will be more than enough. It will shoot over 350fps. Is much easier to cock on stand. Much easier on components and quieter. It is also much easier on targets. Easier to remove arrows from foam targets. Strings don't stretch as much so it will require less tuning.
I've taken well over 200 deer with compound bows. All were shooting less than 300 fps. JMOYMMV

· Registered
Deathstalker 380 Spynal Tapps Rage Hypodermics
571 Posts
The real difference between the 380 and 420 is not in my mind worth the money spent for the roughly 20 FPS you will gain. I have owned both.
But if I was going to buy one of the two I would buy the 420.
This post is aimed at Marty wanting a 420 when he owns a 380 already.
That's my thoughts on it also....I have the DS 380 now....I'd like to have the extra 20fps and 2" narrower....but it just ain't worth the extra coin IMO. The Deathstalker is a GREAT bow no matter which model you end up buying...

· Premium Member
6,190 Posts
Marty is good. He needs one for each hand. With these bows its doable. Crappie Tom's daughter is proving that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Marty shoots one handed anyway and there is a video to prove it somewhere floating around here,LOL.

Reactions: Martymig

· Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,902 Posts
I say......GO GET YOU ONE!!o_O:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.