Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve narrowed my choice down to two crossbows based on the dealers near me. The first is a mission sub-1 lite and the second is a ravin r10. I like the Ravins ease of cocking and decockng, especially in the stand with the crank, but I’m reading reports of string replacement after only 200 shots. Is this true? Also heard Mathews has better customer service.

Which would y’all choose and why?
Thanks!

·
8,125 Posts
Mission ...

Reactions: Madrebel

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
We prefer the Ravin, we have over 200 shots with no signs of Serving or String issues.
Deadly accurate, too.
Then again, we know nothing about the Mission so can not speak to their pros and cons.

·
Registered
9,090 Posts
I chose the Ravin and have had no regrets. As for the string servings the factory servings are luck of the draw so most of us have replaced them with after market strings and cables and are not seeing any serving separation at all. But you can't go wrong with either bow I don't think. If you can shoot both bows before buying an see which you prefer.

·
8,125 Posts
And...why? It’s a good looking bow.
Mission … is Mathews and they've been around forever. Ravin is three years old and has already been sold and changed hands. Plus Ravin has had a reprehensible marketing campaign. Then if we get into the construction of the crossbow, why abandon the foolproof rail system and go with a set of rollers and a railess design. It reintroduces all the falderal you had to deal with when setting up vertical bows. Those rollers freeze when they get wet? Archer's parallax all the more critical? Cam timing? And how about a picatinny scope rail that makes maintenance turn into a major operation? Super narrow and canting issues? That's just the way I see it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have a Ravin R10 and love it. Much faster than a SUB-1 Lite, more compact, with an awesome built in crank. Have had a Mission Dagger and a MXB 400, they were nice bows, but I like the Ravin a lot better. Don't care for the Ravin marketing campaign, but they are great bows!

·
10,836 Posts
I choose the Ravin and have had no regrets. As for the string servings the factory servings are luck of the draw so most of us have replaced them with after market strings and cables and are not seeing any serving separation at all. But you can't go wrong with either bow I don't think. If you can shoot both bows before buying an see which you prefer.
What Robert said above👍🏻

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a Ravin R10 and love it. Much faster than a SUB-1 Lite, more compact, with an awesome built in crank. Have had a Mission Dagger and a MXB 400, they were nice bows, but I like the Ravin a lot better. Don't care for the Ravin marketing campaign, but they are great bows!
Mission … is Mathews and they've been around forever. Ravin is three years old and has already been sold and changed hands. Plus Ravin has had a reprehensible marketing campaign. Then if we get into the construction of the crossbow, why abandon the foolproof rail system and go with a set of rollers and a railess design. It reintroduces all the falderal you had to deal with when setting up vertical bows. Those rollers freeze when they get wet? Archer's parallax all the more critical? Cam timing? And how about a picatinny scope rail that makes maintenance turn into a major operation? Super narrow and canting issues? That's just the way I see it.
I just left one shop that handles ravin and ten point. He told me after 200 shots ravin wants you to send the bow back to them so they can change the strings and check out everything. That is a complete turn off to me.

So... it’s now between the mission and the ten point viper s400. Really like the decocking system on it.

decisions, decisions...🙄

·
8,125 Posts
Apparently … your "narrowed it down" wasn't that narrow after all...lol ;) I'd take the Ten Point over either one of them if you've expanded your choices. Ten Point is a better outfit than the other two put together.

·
Registered
9,090 Posts
I just left one shop that handles ravin and ten point. He told me after 200 shots ravin wants you to send the bow back to them so they can change the strings and check out everything. That is a complete turn off to me.

So... it’s now between the mission and the ten point viper s400. Really like the decocking system on it.

decisions, decisions...🙄
Funny that I have owned one for a while and never heard this before. I would say your dealer doesn't have a clue! Call Ravin and ask about it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Funny that I have owned one for a while and never heard this before. I would say your dealer doesn't have a clue! Call Ravin and ask about it.
if it was just one guy saying that I’d be skeptical too but the dealer at bass pro said the same thing.
so that’s two shops, two dealers saying the same thing. Said they try and do a 10 day turnaround.
Other thing is ravin has a five year warranty, ten point and mission is limited lifetime.
Look, I’m not trying to down anyone’s personal bows, but before I spend that much money I research the the crap out of stuff. And, this is dealers telling me this, not word of mouth from other biased owners.
🤷🏼

·
Registered
9,090 Posts
if it was just one guy saying that I’d be skeptical too but the dealer at bass pro said the same thing.
so that’s two shops, two dealers saying the same thing. Said they try and do a 10 day turnaround.
Other thing is ravin has a five year warranty, ten point and mission is limited lifetime.
Look, I’m not trying to down anyone’s personal bows, but before I spend that much money I research the the crap out of stuff. And, this is dealers telling me this, not word of mouth from other biased owners.
🤷🏼
Here is a manual for the Ravins, it says nothing about sending your bows back to have strings replaced. It does say they recommend you have them replaced by a reputable pro shop.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 46 Posts