Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
R10
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran my R10 through a chronograph when I first got it and got a consistent 408-410 fps which seems to be what everyone else is getting. Who has run theirs through a chrono the second year? How much loss in speed can I expect?

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Here are a few things that can affect speed in feet per second:
1)using a different arrow-point weight combination.
2)if the crossbow has not been shot much, whether new or with new
string and cables, these may stretch as they have not settled in.
3)a change in cam timing or tuning to advance or back cams off.
4)a change in axle to axle measurements (which is just a guide line)
due to tuning and or string and cable stretch.
5)using a different chronograph or shooting through a different area
of the chronograph or light conditions which can affect a chronograph
reading.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My r29 is 4 years old. Got new limbs on last month. Don’t have chrono. But noticed a big difference in speed now. Have hawk xb pro scope on it. Had to turn dial up to 450 fps the max. And I still hit high a little high. Added 25 grain washer to arrows now perfect at the 450 setting. Ata 10 7/16. Don’t recall it being that fast 4 years ago

·
Registered
80 Posts
From last year to this year, both of my R10's were dead on at 20, and 50 yds with the same strings and cables. So I would guess there is very little to no changes in the speed of them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My r29 is 4 years old. Got new limbs on last month. Don’t have chrono. But noticed a big difference in speed now. Have hawk xb pro scope on it. Had to turn dial up to 450 fps the max. And I still hit high a little high. Added 25 grain washer to arrows now perfect at the 450 setting. Ata 10 7/16. Don’t recall it being that fast 4 years ago
Why did you have to replace the limbs?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
As the strings and cables stretch (creep), and they do creep, the ATA increases and the speed begins to slow down. This is more noticeable at 50+ yards as opposed to inside 30yds. I cannot tell you specifically how much, but I have read posts where people were saying that their bows were shooting slower after a couple of years, or they had to readjust their scopes for longer ranges.

In my opinion, "cock time" has as much effect on S&C creep, if not more, than the shot-count.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Here are a few things that can affect speed in feet per second:
1)using a different arrow-point weight combination.
2)if the crossbow has not been shot much, whether new or with new
string and cables, these may stretch as they have not settled in.
3)a change in cam timing or tuning to advance or back cams off.
4)a change in axle to axle measurements (which is just a guide line)
due to tuning and or string and cable stretch.
5)using a different chronograph or shooting through a different area
of the chronograph or light conditions which can affect a chronograph
reading.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.
I agree with the chronograph use, all units have a "sweet spot" that will provide identical speeds. In most cases this will be about 1/4 to 1/3rd the way up from the eyes. I use two pieces of fluorescent tape on each of the front defuser arms as a reference point to shoot through.

·
Registered
R10
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I should have mentioned that the scope setup needs accurate speed info to make the correct holdover points. I entered 408 fps a year ago and have no idea if its still shooting 408fps or 388fps or 350fps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts