Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
wicked ridge blackhawk 360
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Muscadines are falling. 馃槂

If the co.ons and hogs don鈥檛 get them first馃槧

Registered
They never make it to the Oct 1, opening day in my neighborhood.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably be long gone here too. It looks like my persimmon tres aren鈥檛 hitting on much.

I have a ... fig tree like that. I think a hundred birds sit like vultures in all the trees surrounding my property with little pairs of binoculars looking for any signs of purple. Then it looks like an Alfred Hitchcock movie with the mad rush to the fig tree.

Registered
Excalibur Micro 355 Suppressor
The birds get my plums and figs every year. Squirrels destroy my pears!!
BUT...a Gamo beats a squirrel!! 馃槑

I have 2 kinds of persimmons...native and Fuyu. The natives are loaded this year.馃檪

BUT...we have no acorns this year...too dry!! That means deer will beat the feeders to death!!馃槂

Registered

I have 2 kinds of persimmons...native and Fuyu. The natives are loaded this year.馃檪

BUT...we have no acorns this year...too dry!! That means deer will beat the feeders to death!!馃槂
.22 pellet guns get a workout over the summer months. I have an Air arms Tx200 that gets a lot of use along with a collection of others.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

We鈥檝e had an unusual amount of rain this summer compared to recent ones. Usually my grass is nice and crunchy right about now.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Speaking of trees, I had a brother in law who was born and raised in West Virginia. He bought a place there when he retired and on a visit there we were talking about a giant beechnut tree in his yard. He said the deer and turkeys loved the nuts. Any of y鈥檃ll from up that way that can confirm?
That was probably 20 years ago and I said I oughta bring home some nuts and plant them. Too late now ( for me anyway). I don鈥檛 know how they would grow down here.

Registered
Speaking of trees, I had a brother in law who was born and raised in West Virginia. He bought a place there when he retired and on a visit there we were talking about a giant beechnut tree in his yard. He said the deer and turkeys loved the nuts. Any of y鈥檃ll from up that way that can confirm?
That was probably 20 years ago and I said I oughta bring home some nuts and plant them. Too late now ( for me anyway). I don鈥檛 know how they would grow down here.
Don't know about Beech nuts, I have a TON of Hickory trees and they make "nuts" every year. Personally I can't stand the things! The squirrels love 'em. I've had my zero turn throw those things like missles threw a truck window and a window in the house!馃槚
The Hickory nuts are so hard you have to break them open with a hammer. I pick them up with a golf ball retriever and bucket them. When I get ready to BBQ I soak about 3 pounds on them and use them in the smoker! They work great!!

I don't think the Deer will touch the Hickory nuts. I've never seen it anyways.. American Hazel nuts, yes. Hawthorne's too.
And acccording to Deer and Deer Hunting...beech nuts are an excellent source for deer..who knew?

Learn something new everyday!馃檭

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That鈥檚 a great idea for the smoker. Never heard that before. You鈥檙e right about the mower.
Yeah, a deer won鈥檛 touch a hickory nut that I鈥檝e ever seen. They will chow down on some pecans though. If I鈥檇 been smart enough all those years ago and the trees lived , I鈥檇 had a different food for Miz Flopears that no one else had. 馃檮

Reactions: AJ01

Everything hits the beechnut trees. Deer love them. A favorite tree for squirrels many a litter of squirrels have been raise in a beechnut tree. When i was a very young squirrel hunter i hunted beechnut trees killing my limit many times without taking a step once i got there.

A lesson i learned many years ago. I was in a white oak with white oak scattered about and just up the hill from a big persimmon patch some trees i climb in with my climber. Acorns and persimmons were falling. Here comes the doe she walked right thru all that to stand 10 yds from my tree and eat leaves off a briar bush. That blew me away that wasn't supposed to happen. I learned that day never say always or never in the deer woods. Learn to kill them where they're at.

Registered
Being a Ruminant, deer will always pick herbivorous grazing or browse over nuts. It's the way their stomach is designed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts