Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have watched deer do some of the weirdest things and wonder what are you doing. I have watched bucks come up to a scrape and stop then almost stand on his front legs and rub his back legs together then shake all over then commence to pawing at the scrape, I can't count the time I've whitnessed this with bucks.
A mature doe will be walking along then stop and stand on her front legs and rub the back legs together for sometimes 5 min. or more the lick the glands on her hind legs. Weird to watch the does because I know what the bucks do when they do that but what is the reason the does do it.
Weird to me. Has many of you seen this weird stuff going on with your does or are my does around here weird 馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
The doe is doing the same thing as the bucks. Urinating on and leaving scent on the tarsal glands, which is then dispersed as she travels. The scrapes (and licking branches) are just check-in stations and sometimes starting points for them (bucks and does) so the other deer can get the message and follow if they want to.

Most of the time a adult Buck will scent check a scrape from down wind. I have seen them and killed them. With me being 40 yds down wind of the scrape and them being another 40 yds down wind of me. A doe in heat pees in or close to the scrape as a calling card. She's saying i'm ready to be friends :).

Close to the start of the rut adult bucks will also scent check bait piles or feeders. Many times downwind of the bait by many yards. If your not in between The bait and the adult buck you will never know he was there.

To hunt a scrape you need to hunt down wind of the scrape and look/watch down wind of you. Most think this can't be done.

I've seen ... a thousand deer and can't say I've seen them do anything I'd consider "weird." Only thing I consider odd is "once they make-up their minds to bolt in a particular direction there's no changing their minds." They'll run right through 20 guys standing shoulder to shoulder.

Registered
I have watched deer do some of the weirdest things and wonder what are you doing. I have watched bucks come up to a scrape and stop then almost stand on his front legs and rub his back legs together then shake all over then commence to pawing at the scrape, I can't count the time I've whitnessed this with bucks.
A mature doe will be walking along then stop and stand on her front legs and rub the back legs together for sometimes 5 min. or more the lick the glands on her hind legs. Weird to watch the does because I know what the bucks do when they do that but what is the reason the does do it.
Weird to me. Has many of you seen this weird stuff going on with your does or are my does around here weird 馃ぃ馃ぃ
You didn't hear? Does are identifying as bucks now, and vice-versa!
Honestly, I don't know, maybe they are marking their "preferred" buck on themselves, or they just enjoy the scent?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hopefully the next time I see one doing that she'll be close enough to get a picture of her.
One did it yesterday about 20 yds from my shack but I didn't get a picture of it. That's why I was wondering if anyone else has saw this weird thing that the does do. I have noticed it's only the older does that do this馃檪

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've seen does "humping" up their back and peeing with their back legs tight together, but not "standing" on their back legs.
I've also seen button bucks try to mount their sister or mother.
Kinda standing on her front legs.. and yes hump up her back and rub the back legs together. Never noticed if she pees down the legs thought.
Weird to watch though..lol

Premium Member
I saw this what I think is a button buck come up and start sniffing this other little bucks but and then he mounted the buck. I guess the herd is woke around here.
Water Vertebrate Branch Vegetation Wood

1 - 20 of 23 Posts