Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
140 Posts
Had a doe duck at 16 yds she was looking straight at me on the ground, I figured she was done as my bow was shooting tac's....nope clean miss. Don't shoot at them if they got you pegged learned that lesson.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I do my best to keep all my shots under 30 yards & I have never had an animal jump the string. My bows are shooing in the 330fps range.
I've shot whitetail doe within feet of me sitting on a oak log with a pse compound bow. Now that's exciting.

·
1,665 Posts
I have said this already but not only can deer duck. They can move ahead or turnto run and fractions of a second can mean you hit not exactly where you aimed. Have. Had this happen more than once. Don’t know how they tested this, but supposedly a deer’s reaction time is 600 fps.

·
Registered
E Tennessee
208 Posts
Can they jump or duck a string? Yes.

Do they? Yes.

Do I worry aboutit? no.

Personally, I think they avoid the sound of the approaching arrow more than react to the sound of the bow or crossbow. Just listen to an arrow in flght somtime.
Wow, talk about a blast from the past... For those here that might not have known John Sloan "bowriter", passed away in June of last summer. I knew him from another outdoor site and had read and listen to a lot of his stories. Unfortunately I never had the chance to meet him personally. RIP "Bowriter"
Here is an Obit from someone that knew John from inside his personal and professional circles:...

Larry Woody Wilson Post.
In addition to being a gifted writer, John was also a rodeo rider, rodeo promoter, hunting and fishing guide, acclaimed photographer, radio and TV host, and musician. He believed life was meant to be lived, and he squeezed out every drop.

I read him for decades, including his 33 years with The Post, and we were good friends. He was a rollicking storyteller, live and in print. Years ago we went to Alabama on a fishing trip and I laughed non-stop for three days. It was like fishing with Jerry Clower. My ribs ached for a week.

As far as the OP Topic, Adverse reactions to noise are going to happen from time to time. Learning to read how alert or tuned into an animal is to it's surrounding can sometimes give an indication if an animal might be some what more prone to "jumping" the string, but not always. If I think a deer is wound up for some reason I am more apt to aim lower for the heart than I normally would mid chest at the lungs. Still, what ever you end up with it is what it is. I'll take the shot offered to me within my comfort zone.

·
Registered
TenPoint Viper S400 / Horton Vortec RDX
487 Posts
Deer are smart, especially big bucks, but they are not advanced to the level of thinking in terms like “a hunter has just fired an arrow at me I must do the matrix.” They are reacting to an artificial sound that’s abnormal to their environment. Deer who are already on high alert due to winding a hunter or some other stimulant are already on nerve. They are most likely to react to the sound of the bow going off.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have seen a ton of videos showing deer beating the arrow and I have had it happen at 330fps at 20 yards.
Its not the type of bow but the speed of the arrow that matters. The faster you go the further you can get away from the potential miss/wound. It takes a lot of added speed to effect a small distance though. I found 50fps equates to an additional 2 yards.

·
Registered
136 Posts
+1
I've been saying it for years. Even did vids from the target's perspective to illustrate it, and show that arrow component choices matter.
No doubt. Standing aside the target (out of the way of the oncoming arrow) at a 3D shoot (years ago) we were amazed to hear how loud the next groups arrows were, as they sped towards the target. On a 30 yard shot, I could pick up the sound of the vanes tearing through the air at least 20 yards, before it was hitting the backstop. I dont think I will ever forget that day because it was so crazy to see/hear that high speed buzz headed towards us.

·
Registered
275 Posts
think this was 2nd string duck video ive watched, but saying "The buck had no clue I was there." dosnt hold water

guys preparing to take a shot alerted that deer, clearly, he took head out of grass and scanned with ears and also had some idea where the noise was coming from, think i can hear sleeve moving or something, guess its from raising crossbow too fast

·
2,281 Posts
From my experience killing over 100 deer with some type of bow over the past 46 years. I can honestly say i have seen 3 duck my arrow well one tried and if not for bad luck he would have. I'll start with him ranges 33 yds optimizer dialed to 33 yds using a EoTech red dot. Bow was a MXB 330 shooting 333 fps. I shot from a inclosed elevated box blind that had been there for years. The buck bucked as soon as the bow went off and spun to his right. The fixed blade VPA head hit him in the jaw. Next day he had made it 200yds and was found stiff.

Next Buck was at 15 yds i was using a Zipper longbow shooting about 150 fps. In a tree stand this time. The Buck completely moved out of the way of that arrow.

Last time was with my Mission 400 shooting 370 ish fps Buck was at 30 yds ranged. I was in a blind, the buck did hear me flip the safety, and looked my way. Then went back to feeding. I shot as soon as his nose touched the ground.
Clean miss. Guys come up with all kinds of yeah buts. Watch the Buck to the left.

I posted once using a Excalibur Ibex years ago. I hit this Buck in the back inside 30 yds. Saying i know i didn't miss that bad. He pointed out maybe the Buck jumped string. Those bows are pretty loud. I thought about that for years and still do. Along with a few Bucks that i hit a little higher than i thought i should have.

I'm convinced and here's where i get myself in trouble thinking outside the box. The biggest danger zone isn't 50 60 yds its 30 40 yds. And this depends on how loud your bow is.

Arrows don't get a free pass here. I don't think there the root cause, but a added warning once the reaction trigger has been tripped. Now i'm not saying a really loud arrow can't trigger a reaction. Vane choice and broadhead choice is huge imo. I like a stiff vane and a expandable broadhead. Trying to quiet it as much as i can without giving up any accuracy. As i do with my bows.

In the end i shoot for the top of the heart. And i don't use a sighting system that makes me guess.

·
Registered
275 Posts
From my experience killing over 100 deer with some type of bow over the past 46 years. I can honestly say i have seen 3 duck my arrow well one tried and if not for bad luck he would have. I'll start with him ranges 33 yds optimizer dialed to 33 yds using a EoTech red dot. Bow was a MXB 330 shooting 333 fps. I shot from a inclosed elevated box blind that had been there for years. The buck bucked as soon as the bow went off and spun to his right. The fixed blade VPA head hit him in the jaw. Next day he had made it 200yds and was found stiff.

Next Buck was at 15 yds i was using a Zipper longbow shooting about 150 fps. In a tree stand this time. The Buck completely moved out of the way of that arrow.

Last time was with my Mission 400 shooting 370 ish fps Buck was at 30 yds ranged. I was in a blind, the buck did hear me flip the safety, and looked my way. Then went back to feeding. I shot as soon as his nose touched the ground.
Clean miss. Guys come up with all kinds of yeah buts. Watch the Buck to the left.

I posted once using a Excalibur Ibex years ago. I hit this Buck in the back inside 30 yds. Saying i know i didn't miss that bad. He pointed out maybe the Buck jumped string. Those bows are pretty loud. I thought about that for years and still do. Along with a few Bucks that i hit a little higher than i thought i should have.

I'm convinced and here's where i get myself in trouble thinking outside the box. The biggest danger zone isn't 50 60 yds its 30 40 yds. And this depends on how loud your bow is.

Arrows don't get a free pass here. I don't think there the root cause, but a added warning once the reaction trigger has been tripped. Now i'm not saying a really loud arrow can't trigger a reaction. Vane choice and broadhead choice is huge imo. I like a stiff vane and a expandable broadhead. Trying to quiet it as much as i can without giving up any accuracy. As i do with my bows.

In the end i shoot for the top of the heart. And i don't use a sighting system that makes me guess.
one on the left didnt raise head from safety click but was still alerted enough to duck it
thats an excellent shot by the way, amazing timing

·
2,281 Posts
one on the left didnt raise head from safety click but was still alerted enough to duck it
Or just reacted to the sound of the bow. Because he didn't hear it. I have killed deer across that hollow. That puts them over 40 yds closer to 50 yds. I have never witnessed any type of reaction there.

But it shows a Buck can duck the string even holding on the heart at 30 yds. From the sound of the bow regardless of the whys. So is the bow louder to the deer at 30 yds or 300 yds get my point. If you get to a distance the sound of the bow is not heard or reaches a level above the ambient sounds. In other words unnoticed. Then your only left with the sound of the arrow.

My range is cut out of the woods and reaches 100yds. Over the years i have baited deer. Where i can safely shoot and watch the reaction to the deer. When the deer are inside 40 yds most of the time they turn inside out when the bow goes off. Much beyond they just look after the fact. Many times the sound of the arrow hitting the target will cause them to run. As you might guess me doing this has them on edge. But they like corn :).

·
2,281 Posts
This buck is 100% on alert. Difference being he's a little over 50 yds. Same set up Blind hunting same bow and arrow same broadhead. Just a few weeks between the shots different areas.
If you look closely you can see him roll back down the hill.

·
Registered
275 Posts
This buck is 100% on alert. Difference being he's a little over 50 yds. Same set up Blind hunting same bow and arrow same broadhead. Just a few weeks between the shots different areas.
If you look closely you can see him roll back down the hill.

think this one fell a sleep chewing ;)

·
Registered
Scorpyd Aculeus 460, Excal paradox.
92 Posts
My dad has had a few duck the string with his old Excal paradox which goes around 320fps. Usually around the 35 yard mark. Only one was wounded and survived just fine luckily.
I have never had a deer come close to ducking the string on me, even ones that were alert and a good distance away. Bolt always landed exactly on the mark. Granted this is because I use a 460fps scorpyd (which goes around 440fps with 125gr heads on a 400gr bolt). Past the 40 yard mark deer don't seem to react to any crossbow firing, at most they turn or lift their head. Especially with how quiet the newer crossbows are.

Reactions: rt2bowhunter
21 - 35 of 35 Posts