Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Excalibur Micro 355 Suppressor
576 Posts
We hunt a ranch near San Angelo. 5000 acres. Ranchers wants "NO DEER" gutted in the field. So, we have a "skinning station" at the camp.
Remains are taken about 300 yards from the camp to a large ravine. We hunt coyotes over it at night. I have also witnessed Deer eating the remains of other Deer. :unsure:
Think they won't? Trust me they do!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We hunt a ranch near San Angelo. 5000 acres. Ranchers wants "NO DEER" gutted in the field. So, we have a "skinning station" at the camp.
Remains are taken about 300 yards from the camp to a large ravine. We hunt coyotes over it at night. I have also witnessed Deer eating the remains of other Deer. :unsure:
That is interesting the deer eating remains.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
That’s a cool way to be busy at night when you are on a ranch👍👍

·
Registered
129 Posts
There was a time when I thought a gut pile would spook other deer. But over the years I've lost count of how many deer I've seen go out of their way to inspect a gut pile.
I often put a camera up over the remains of a butchered deer just to see what comes to it. Not unusual to see deer checking that out also. The majority of the deer I've seen do this where bucks.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I like to move them away from the stand site but not convenient always. If coyote don't spook things the ravines will.

Reactions: Norm newsome

·
Registered
94 Posts
Replies are mixed as all speculations on how any animal will react to anything always are.

All animals, like humans, are individuals. No species of animal will ALL react exactly the same to the same thing, ALL the time.
I've seen bucks "blow up" and run like crazy at the smell of a gut pile (but WAS it the gut pile he smelled???? He didn't say. LOL) and I've shot bucks walking IN a gut pile.

The SAME deer won't even react the same way seeing/smelling one each time.
Predatory species, we'd mostly speculate that they would generally move toward it......but the others? It's a toss up.
God Bless
Gramps

·
Registered
765 Posts
Gut piles will draw in coyote 🐺 and deer don't hang around where there are at all.
I have gutted deer out one day and go back the next day and kill another deer almost standing in the gut pile.
Like grandpa said probably each deer will react differently.. I do know if they get a whiff of a coyote there there not coming around the gut pile

1 - 20 of 46 Posts