Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Ten Point Viper S400
22 Posts
Replies are mixed as all speculations on how any animal will react to anything always are.

All animals, like humans, are individuals. No species of animal will ALL react exactly the same to the same thing, ALL the time.
I've seen bucks "blow up" and run like crazy at the smell of a gut pile (but WAS it the gut pile he smelled???? He didn't say. LOL) and I've shot bucks walking IN a gut pile.

The SAME deer won't even react the same way seeing/smelling one each time.
Predatory species, we'd mostly speculate that they would generally move toward it......but the others? It's a toss up.
God Bless
Gramps

You Sir, are right on the mark.
I control and work with wildlife for a living. Just when you think you’ve seen it all, a species does something out of the ordinary. When it comes to wildlife I always tell my customers we deal with “generality’s“
My opinion is generally they don’t pay to much attention to it. (Gut piles)

Also consider when a deer looks to be feeding on a gut pile area, where remains are dumped it may be feeding on plants that are fertile pied by those remains. Just a thought.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't know about gut piles, but they don't care about dead deer. I shot the largest doe of the group the year before last, she died within 30 yards, the rest scattered. 10 minutes later the other deer resumed feeding in the acorns and approached the down deer and pawed and nudged at it, "like get up, watchya doing, sleeping?" They weren't alarmed in the least, and mosied off.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Dead animals are common in any woods, as well as deer gut piles during hunting season. The deer have absolutely no idea that the guts came from another deer or any other animal. They may even get curious and investigate it.
I have more then once shot deer that have previously eaten corn, and other deer will come and eat the undigested corn from the guts. Deer are constantly looking for food sources, and gut piles can be one of them.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
my logic is that anything new in the area thats large like a gut pile could spook any deer.

I try to get the deer out of the immediate hunting area then gut them.

Some times it just too much work.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I remember my uncle killing and butchering one of his cows. The other cows got really upset and bellowed. My uncle said that was because they could smell the blood. He did have the cows separated a ways away.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yesterday I was on a video seminar with a deer biólogist who said that if you gut a buck and leave the tarsal gland (or maybe metatarsal gland, I was not listening) in the gut pile, it will spook deer because that is the scent used by bucks to signal alarm.

On the other hand, we had does and a young buck walking to and through a gut pile on Monday from Saturday doe kills.

·
Registered
388 Posts
No it doesn’t. I frequently put trail cams on gut piles try for a bear, it is the only legal way to hunt bait for bears in PA. I get way more deer checking it out than anything else. Also if be time he shot 9 deer out of a stand in 3 days. Deer would weave thru them and not even care

·
Registered
84 Posts
If deer ran or got scared off every time a coyote was nosing around... They would never stop running...
Ask any trapper how often deer come into smell coyote sets (lures/baits) and set the trap off... Or how many times they walk right into a remake of a set that just caught a coyote and set the trap off. I remember pulling up to a set with my bud and he said "Look. 5 or 6 deer standing there. Well, we know nothing in that set.."... Wrong, big male coyote. The deer were standing there staring at it. Maybe 20 yards away max.

But I've also seen it where catching 5-6 coyotes off a parcel brings the deer right back in to the area.
Bottom line for me, I don't even think about any of that when I gut a deer. Shot deer, find deer, gut deer, drag it out. Gut pile is gone the next day and whatever ate it is as well. They ain't waiting around for me to shoot another one.

·
Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,870 Posts
IMO.....if the gut piles dont scrare 'em away then the coyotes & hogs it draws does. That's why I wont dump them on the land I hunt on nor do I gut a deer where it's shot either.

Reactions: dale lockwood

·
Registered
Old bows: Excalibur Matrix 380, Scorpyd Ventilator 150. Current bows: Excalibur 355, Ten Point Siege
37 Posts
I’ve had no issues with gut piles. In Virginia we can now hunt everyday of the week. Killed a doe on Saturday and another on Sunday from same stand. Gut pile was still there just much smaller.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Nope -- 'yotes clean them up overnight around here.

Horns

·
Registered
Blackhawk 360, Tenpoint Titan Tl-4, Horton Hunter Max 150
23 Posts
No. Deer are used to death. I've shot deer and had other deer come up to their dead bodies.

With that being said, no deer wants to be where the coyotes are. Better to just toss the guts in a trash bag and carry them out of the area, just to be safe.

·
Registered
18,426 Posts
No. Deer are used to death. I've shot deer and had other deer come up to their dead bodies.

With that being said, no deer wants to be where the coyotes are. Better to just toss the guts in a trash bag and carry them out of the area, just to be safe.
Then I need to just quit hunting my club and here at the house cause there are Yotes everywhere around here. I shot the Yote in the pic finishing off a deer kill from the night before and saw 23 deer that morning. Every one passed downwind from the dead Yote laying there and he ran across the trail they were using after I shot him bleeding heavily.

·
Registered
Blackhawk 360, Tenpoint Titan Tl-4, Horton Hunter Max 150
23 Posts
Robert, that is awesome that you were able to test out how deer react to dead yotes.

I think it's different in every area though. In my area, where coyotes are rare but very brave and attack deer/dogs on the regular, deer are definitely considerably more wary and will not approach a yote feasting/a coyote hotspot.

I'd still err on the side of caution and not leave guts out. Even if deer in your area aren't afraid of yotes/black bears/cougars. Just personal preference.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts