Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you like me that are too lazy to butcher your own deer. What is the going rate where you live for basic processing? By that I mean, steaks, chops, roasts, and ground meat, cut and wrapped. Bone in or out if it makes a difference.
I get mine bone in for $65.00. I think it is about $10.00 more for bone out. If you skin it yourself, I think you save about $10.00.

·
509 Posts
Processing

I think I paid $55 bucks for each of my does last year. All processed, no bones wrapped...burger,backstraps,stew meat, steaks. If you can get your deer to Gary in Kerrville at Rhodes Brothers he is awesome and honest as all get out! I had the backstraps taken out of one doe and then the rest was turned into a hard smoked sausage. It was friggin awesome! That sausage with a beer is a great experience!

Jake

PS the sausage has an extra cost but totally worth it!

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
I quit using the local butcher a couple years ago when he went to $45. I think he is at $55 or $65 now with a small fee for cape storage for bucks that you want mounted. No more than $5 or $10. I always got 4 lb roasts. Top hind quarter steaks 3/4 inch thick and back straps whole and boneless and burger the rest. He would add beef or pork fat to the burger at no extra charge.

I have access to a burger mill now so I just do my own. Takes me about 20 - 30 mins to skin and no more than an hour on the table depending on hang time and weather. Save's me a bundle and gets the boys hands on from start to finish. Makes that first batch of jerky that much better.

UL with a possible 6 deer limit this year you better learn the way of the butcher or it's not worth the meat to hunt them. Also with all the mechanical gadgets they use the deer fat, gristle and bone fragments always make it into the mix. I de-bone all my meat on the fly by hand while rough trimming gristle and removing all the fat. The first deer is almost always jerky from the clean cuts and burger the rest.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Several processors in my area charge seventy to eighty dollars.Do great job,they should for that price.
I to donate to the Feed the hungry program.Would do my own ,but where I live the neighbors would freak out if I hung a Deer to process.:)

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
I think it was @ $45.00 for a basic butcher and wrap job. I pay the extra charge to have mine vaccum sealed when I do that. I'm with Jake in the dry ring. I take the backstraps and the rest goes into jerky and dry ring. It's a German thing, and recipe. This is a German settled area. We all grew up eating this, and so have my kids and grandkids. You can throw a package in the truck when on the road and hunting and always have something good to snack on. So, most of mine is all custom butchered.
When I process a deer, it usually takes me @ 4 hours to cut and wrap everything and make it ready for the pan. So, well worth whatever the charge under $100.00.
Jake, when you shoot an exotic other than Axis, like blackbuck antelope, try Garys summer sausage with Jalapenos. Not too much though. Rich but good.
You have great taste!
PS. I donate pork and venison to families as well. Our company pays on Mondays, so when an employee asks me for an advance on Friday and says they need food for the family, I make them a care package. It's usually for party money, so they usually only ask once. I give away whole hogs alot too. People put orders in for hogs.

·
224 Posts
SPECIALIZED said:
Several processors in my area charge seventy to eighty dollars.Do great job,they should for that price.
I to donate to the Feed the hungry program.Would do my own ,but where I live the neighbors would freak out if I hung a Deer to process.:)
That's about the going rate around here. But I now have to go out of county when I take them in because the last in county processor just stopped last year.

This one guy I use (the best by far) has a whole laundry list of prices depending on what you want done. Regular cut is $75 I believe. $10 or $15 skinning charge. I forget. Its in that area.

Good thing I knew what I was doing on more then a couple of occasions this past year. I have a backyard that is surrounded by leylands and a deck on the side. The faint of heart know better than to look in my backyard or in my garage in the fall and winter...so I've been told.

I make no apologies but I'm not in your face either.

·
512 Posts
With what the Govt. pays me, ''disability,'' I can't afford the $60.00 to get it done. Besides, I enjoy doing my own. And I know it's mine and how it was taken care of.
Kenny

·
2,821 Posts
Around here it's $65 , they skin it , debone it & double wrap it, I don't think thats to bad of price..I did my own a couple of times, but way to time consuming.

·
47 Posts
I am kinda spoiled here. The place I hunt at doesn't allow field dressing deer so everyone here takes the whole deer straight to the butcher. He charges $10 for gut & skinned and $40 for steaks, burger, and stew meat. Sausage is an extra $10.

·
41 Posts
2 years ago I think I paid around $65.00-70.00 to have my deer processed in the area where I live(north of NYC). When I hunt in upstate NY I pay $40.00 and the guy does a much better job(debones it). i guess paying that amount where I live just goes with the territory. Now if I really wanted to vent and go off topic I could tell you about the $12,000 a year that i pay in property taxes for a 2,100 sq ft home that is situated on 2/5 of an acre.:D

·
110 Posts
It seems funny to me that they don't charge bye the pound like other animals?? The set prices discourage me from taking smaller deer because I have to pay the same amount for a small deer as a big deer. We pay about 75.oo for standard processing here

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Deer

Just kill big deer all the time,you win.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
At Work, I do others peoples deer. At home, someone else gets paid to do mine.
I charge $25.00 to field dress, skin and quarter each deer, and load it in your cooler.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
Y'all hang em upside down in Tx!!! I hang em by the head, make the skin cuts, cape some around the neck, tie a golf ball under the hide w/ doubled up tie wire and pliers, then pull the hide off w/ atv. While i'm at it, next is to lop off the front 1/4's, then the back straps, then the hind quarters to a table to debone sitting down, lol. Gal pal wraps as fast as I cut. Battery saws-all w/ bi-metal blade. If I am close enough to home, I don't even gut them. Can make a slice behind last rib on each side and get inner loin, but gotta be careful.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Its all good

Awshucks,I see you are a Trophy hunter ,like me:D

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Yea Butch hangs them by the neck if I can talk him into hanging them. He field dresses on the tailgate. I like to hang them head down for skinning. It goes way faster that way. The field dressing doesn't matter which way or where to me.
I have lots of Bucks to do, so I stay away from the neck thing so it doesn't mess up the hair on the neck for the mount. Same thing as I don't cut the ribs, but instead, reach up and cut the windpipe so I don't forget what I'm doing and mess up someones mount. Habit.
Butchs little sister can field dress, skin and quarter a deer and have it in the fridge in 15 minutes! She used to be a butcher. Not me!

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
SPECIALIZED said:
Awshucks,I see you are a Trophy hunter ,like me:D
That is a trophy in a way. Moved here from Illinois in 2002, got this one in 2006, but had never seen a deer on my 12.5 acres. Was headed out to cut firewood after a snow, so took a ride around the 40 acres I'm good for and found fresh tracks headed my way. Ran home, grabbed the xbow and got to a stand about in line w/ the tracks. Stand is far west, tracks far east, to give you a picture in your mind. Wasn't there 10 minutes and here came two does and this guy. He gave me the best shot and down he went. I had a lot of time in food plots, sitting in deerless stands, tried feeders, ect. They just got better placed to be than my pile of rocks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts