Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking to see what everyone is using while they're hunting, I've been using Scent Killer Gold shampoo and body wash for several years now but I don't like the unscented deodorant made by them or the Dead Down Wind Deodorant that I've used in the past they only work for a couple of hours and I don't sweat very much at all. Give me some great options that work for you.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
852 Posts
I cut off the tarsal glands from all of the deer I tag and then brine them for a week minimum in a mixture of doe pee, vinegar, and creek water. I then freeze them for use all season. Thaw them out as needed and rub them vigorously on my armpits just before each hunt. Seems to work well.

I'm just kidding. I use Scent Killer Gold sticks. They work well for me and aren't greasy like some of the other brands.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Does it last all day
Lasts a lot longer than the other stuff for sure. I'm not sure if it would last all day if you were on the move the entire time but it lasts me going to my stand in the AM, back to the house a few hours then back to the stand.

·
Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,831 Posts
Regular deodorant. I prefer Arm & Hammer and that does last me all day.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lasts a lot longer than the other stuff for sure. I'm not sure if it would last all day if you were on the move the entire time but it lasts me going to my stand in the AM, back to the house a few hours then back to the stand.
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don’t use nothing,now years ago my son and I were filling the GoDevil boat with fuel before hitting the river to get to our hunting area. Well just I was filling the boat it back splashed me with gasoline,well no time to go home. So off we went,drove to the ramp windows down the fumes were awful. I said the heck with it and headed to my stand my son off to his. Got to my stand sat for about two hours. Well I shot one of my biggest bucks,and is in my living room. So from that point I have never use any scent killers or lures.

·
4,831 Posts
I have been using the scent killer gold for years. I’ll start using it weeks before season and use nothing but until I’m done deer hunting. I use the scent away green shampoo I also use it to wash my hunting clothes. Again I use nothing but until I’m done hunting for the year and preseason for weeks.

my main goal here is no perfume.

I kill my scent by spraying my hole body down with home made scent killer. And while still damp I dust my hole body with baking soda. I use a sock with a box in it and I just tie a knot in the top. A wool sock seems to give the right coverage.

·
14,452 Posts
I lick my finger ... and stick it in the air and look for deer in the direction the wind is coming from. That's my scent killer. 😂 :p
Sleeve Tartan Gesture Cap Hat

·
6,504 Posts
There are three types of underarm treatments for odor: deodorant, anti-perspirant and a combination of the two. Deodorant is a perfume- we don’t want that! We don’t want the combination either! So that leaves anti-perspirant. This is what virtually all unscented anti-perspirants are, just an unscented carrier solution with aluminum chloride .

The Arm&Hammer brand of unscented anti-perspirant seems to have a true unscented carrier material. If you put on with some excess, it’ll soak into your undershirt and provide long term protection.

The special deer hunting anti-perspirants seem, to me at least, to work about as well as the A&H but just cost more.

All that said, and I try to be as clean and scentless as practical, the continuous odor coming out of our lungs as we breathe cannot be overcome except possibly by a truly effective activated carbon respirator (if such even exists).

Hunt into the wind and/or high enough. That’s what really works.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Before scent lock came out about 30 years ago, I was asked along with a TV hunting personality to try the first version of the suit for BassPro.
We hunted the artic for caribou. In case you don't know, caribou usually follow each other herds tracks.
So we are glassing where we knew there was a herd migration in the am. This is now the the afternoon. I am videoing and Mr TV guy is bow hunting. We watched this one herd come in on a string right to us. Cakewalk right. Wind going to them. They are now 300 yards away and I tell the guy I think this suit really works.
there were probably 400 animals in the single file line . All of a sudden at about 120 yards the whole herd veered off track. They winded us. So much for the suit.
I guess what I'm trying to say in a roundabout way, is if an animal smells 5% of you or 100% of you they're still going to bolt.
I personally play the wind and that's about it. All the rest of the stuff out there I think is a gimmick. I will say one thing it was a pretty awesome sight watching that many animals walking the way they've been walking for a hundreds of years all of a sudden change their path because of my scent.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Funny story. While in South Africa (second trip), I noticed that the soaps in the bathroom were all scented/fragrant. I brought my own unscented hair/body wash and unscented AP. I asked the PH (Professional Hunter) why they have scented soaps in the bathrooms. Doesn't it scare the game away? His response: "Game is alerted to human scent, not other scents" WTF?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts