Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
11,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You'll notice your Desert Stryker's bowstring has 2 rubber sleeves (one over the other) on each end of the string close to the cams. Underneath those sleeves are 2 large (red) nock sets. These nock sets were originally designed for locating nocking points on bow strings but manufacturers, a while back, found that by placing these at a certain point close to the cams, it actually increases arrow speed. A Desert Stryker's speed is increased by about 7 to 8 fps (at least that's what my chrono tells me) by installing these nock sets so if you make your own strings and are speed concious:D make sure you install those 2 nock sets in the same location as they were from the factory. You can cover them effectively with rubberized stretch tape that can be purchased from Lowe's or Home Depot. I added 2 nocks sets to each side for a total of 4 nock sets in order to match the total weight of the 2 nock sets and rubber sleeves used by the factory. My bow, with the arrow combination I'm shooting, is chronographed at 349 fps, just as it was with the factory string.:confused:

Attachments

·
221 Posts
These nocks are to dynamically balance the string / arrow mass to the limbs. As you store more and more energy in the cams / limbs the weight of the launch components doesn't increase as well so you begin to loose efficiency.

The nocks balance the relatively light arrows for the increased output of the system. The only downside is that you loose a bit of efficiency with correspondingly heavier arrows.

The first time that I worked with using knocks at near the servings was back in '99 working on K-cammed bows at Golden Eagle. At that time AMO was the speed rating and we gained over 3 ft/sec with the string weights (to achieve 245 fps with 60lb peak & 30" draw). This was an achievement for that time period with a vertical bow.

Another thing to do is to use more strands of string to make up the weight of the nocks. This makes for a stronger string but only if the cam groove allows for a larger diameter string / serving.

·
11,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The interesting thing is

that by moving the weights closer or further away from the cam just a little, on the Desert Stryker, the speed changes.

Also interesting is that I played with adding these weights to a TP Phantom's string with absolutely no change in speed:eek:

·
Banned
1,256 Posts
Moonkryket said:
that by moving the weights closer or further away from the cam just a little, on the Desert Stryker, the speed changes.

Also interesting is that I played with adding these weights to a TP Phantom's string with absolutely no change in speed:eek:
That's because they don't use those cheap magic tricks. They use the expensive built in ones.;)

·
11,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't agree with that one

Let's see.....one is 155 lb draw, smooth, quiet and shoots a legitimate 350 fps and one is 185 lb draw, louder and shoots 340 fps. As to problems, mine were equal in that respect. Oh, and I almost forgot, the slower one costs about 700 bucks more than the other. I like that magic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts