Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My colleagues and I are attempting to design and build a mechanism that is able to diffuse and cock a crossbow for our engineering capstone class. Our goal is to design an easier way to cock and diffuse a crossbow while using the same device, to safely and easily diffuse the crossbow. We are in no way experts on the topic but are currently working with different experts to work towards one solution. We are looking for feedback on our project, feel free to ask questions. Completing this survey would really help us https://surveymonkey.com/r/CNQ93S3
Any info helps, comment your thoughts.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Ok, I did the survey for you guys. How about giving us some hints as to what you are working on if it's been properly protected.
One thing that would be welcomed by some of us would be a 'rope let down aid'. Now we have to use the normal cocking rope with 2 hooks attached to string at steep angle and one hand holding the excess rope tight. The rope is required to be long enough to reach both hooks to the string so you can cock with both hands. For me anyways, to decock, one arm is above shoulder level to keep the rope tight and hooked up. It doesn't take a lot of muscle to let down even the highest poundage limbs but the angle seems awkward. Maybe some kind of spooling device for the rope and better hooks for the angles??

·
Crossbow Nut
3,443 Posts
...Our goal is to design an easier way to cock and diffuse a crossbow while using the same device, to safely and easily diffuse the crossbow...
Occam's Razor; the simplest, least-complicated, and easiest way already exists for Excalibur and many other crossbows; the rope cocker; it both flexes and relaxes.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Ok, I did the survey for you guys. How about giving us some hints as to what you are working on if it's been properly protected.
One thing that would be welcomed by some of us would be a 'rope let down aid'. Now we have to use the normal cocking rope with 2 hooks attached to string at steep angle and one hand holding the excess rope tight. The rope is required to be long enough to reach both hooks to the string so you can cock with both hands. For me anyways, to decock, one arm is above shoulder level to keep the rope tight and hooked up. It doesn't take a lot of muscle to let down even the highest poundage limbs but the angle seems awkward. Maybe some kind of spooling device for the rope and better hooks for the angles??
That's easy, I made a simple ONE HANDLED let down aid with two S hooks, covered with shrink tubing. Hooks are bigger, much less chance of slipping off. Sorry, no pics available at this time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts