Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Excalibur GRZ2
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the GRZ2 and have two questions about the Diablo arrows that came with it. First, after a few shots, the field points were very loose. Should I put some blue Locktite on them, or just keep an eye on them and hand tighten them when necessary? Second, the product information card attached to the bow has the weight of the filed point blacked out. I'd like to get more arrows and field points, and have them be the same ones. How can I tell what weight field points they are?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I don't know what others do to keep field tips from loosening, but what I have always done is put a little bit of fishing line down in the threads, and then cut it off after tightening. Keeps them from coming loose from shooting, but also allows for easy removal.

GRZ2 are supposed to come with 150gr field tips, at least the 3 I've helped others buy have. Can't really say for sure what yours are unless you have a scale, or post a picture here. If they are the factory excal field points they are easy to visually tell the difference.

·
Registered
Excalibur GRZ2
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GRZ2 are supposed to come with 150gr field tips, at least the 3 I've helped others buy have. Can't really say for sure what yours are unless you have a scale, or post a picture here. If they are the factory excal field points they are easy to visually tell the difference.
The hang tag had 150 printed on it, and that's what's blacked out. I can't see any markings on them, but my eyes are old. Here's a pic, not sure if it will help.
IMG_2604[1].JPG

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I just purchased the GRZ2 and have two questions about the Diablo arrows that came with it. First, after a few shots, the field points were very loose. Should I put some blue Locktite on them, or just keep an eye on them and hand tighten them when necessary? Second, the product information card attached to the bow has the weight of the filed point blacked out. I'd like to get more arrows and field points, and have them be the same ones. How can I tell what weight field points they are?
Use 150 grain Excal points is fine. I shoot 400 grains total with my grz2. I hit 40 yards at 3d range standing up with the stock bow. This bow will last forever. Very light string wear. You can always dip point threads in string wax and that will keep them tighter for awhile.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
The hang tag had 150 printed on it, and that's what's blacked out. I can't see any markings on them, but my eyes are old. Here's a pic, not sure if it will help. View attachment 196257 View attachment 196257
Those are not 150 that's why they blacked it out. You can use thoseno problem though. They are either 100 or 125. A good grain scale is always good to have. I just like the 150 because heavier arrows is better on bow limbs always. I mean your bow is fine the 100s too because it's a lighter weight bow.

·
Registered
Excalibur GRZ2
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Use 150 grain Excal points is fine. I shoot 400 grains total with my grz2. I hit 40 yards at 3d range standing up with the stock bow. This bow will last forever. Very light string wear.
Thanks, good to know. My intent here is to get additional arrows identical to the ones I have so they'll be sighted in the same.

·
Registered
Excalibur GRZ2
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those are not 150 that's why they blacked it out. You can use those. They are either 100 or 125. A good grain scale is always good to have. I just like the 150 because heavier arrows is better on bow limbs always.
Well I wasn't thinking, I've got two powder measures with my reloading equipment! It weighed in at 99.6 grains, so Iguess that makes it a 100gr. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Well I wasn't thinking, I've got two powder measures with my reloading equipment! It weighed in at 99.6 grains, so Iguess that makes it a 100gr. Thanks!
So that makes your total arrow 350 grains that's fine for that bow no stress at all but I just like to use 400 it's just that way there's never a question.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yep I knew those were 100's the moment I saw the picture. But glad you could confirm with your reloading scale.

If you are thinking about getting more arrows anyway... I would recommend NOT getting more Diablos, but instead getting 18" arrows from Wyvern Creations or South Shore Archery. These use heavier inserts and can get you to 400+ grains with 100 tips. Your broadhead options are much more abundant with 100 and 125. Not many choices in 150. And Wyvern's arrows are even less expensive than Diablos while also being 0.001" spec.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Yep I knew those were 100's the moment I saw the picture. But glad you could confirm with your reloading scale.

If you are thinking about getting more arrows anyway... I would recommend NOT getting more Diablos, but instead getting 18" arrows from Wyvern Creations or South Shore Archery. These use heavier inserts and can get you to 400+ grains with 100 tips. Your broadhead options are much more abundant with 100 and 125. Not many choices in 150. And Wyvern's arrows are even less expensive than Diablos while also being 0.001" spec.
Yes like these

·
Premium Member
358 Posts

I use my wyvern arrows for my matrix 380 cuz grz2 has a fixed scope so the diablos worked fine.But yes never good broadhead options.

·
Registered
Excalibur GRZ2
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My use is going to be shooting 3D with my granddaughter, so I'm not concerned about broadheads, only what will be the most consistent arrow and field point. With the GRZ2 at 305fps, what combination should I be looking at? Since it came with Diablos and 100s, I'd rather not change, but if something else is more economical and reliable in the long run, I will.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
My use is going to be shooting 3D with my granddaughter, so I'm not concerned about broadheads, only what will be the most consistent arrow and field point. With the GRZ2 at 305fps, what combination should I be looking at? Since it came with Diablos and 100s, I'd rather not change, but if something else is more economical and reliable in the long run, I will.
I only use the diablos with the grz2. The fixed scope loves them. 100 are fine.
Here's the grz2 ar 40 yards. I was newbie at 3d here. I'm better now.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just a heads up ,,,,your GRZ 2 is rated at 305 fps ( with 150 grain field points ) if your shooting 100 grain then your fps is around 325 fps ...

If you don't want to re sight then you have no choice but to buy the exact same arrows and field points. Even Excalibur pro flights or quills , same size and weight will fly different and will need a slight tweeking of the scope , Wheelsquids suggestion of Wyvern's arrows is a good one , give them a call , tell him what you want to do ( Target 3D ) and I'm sure he will suggest best options for accuracy and price point .

A good tip I picked up is number your arrows.

With a Sharpie mark one vane on each arrow only and place the vane with the number always in the rail , that way if you notice when you practice a arrow that doesn't appear to go where you thought it should have you can see if it's the same arrow consistently

Your GRZ is capable of silly good accuracy as good if not better then a lot of crossbows costing meny times more,,,,I think almost every serious crossbow owner out there will agree with me when I say you need to get to understand what your crossbow is telling you with every shot ,,,,with time and practice your going to understand what I mean ...that goes for your arrows also .

And that will ultimately reward you with evermore accuracy .

Shoot it and enjoy ,,,,

·
Registered
190 Posts
I only use the diablos with the grz2. The fixed scope loves them. 100 are fine.
Here's the grz2 ar 40 yards. I was newbie at 3d here. I'm better now.
Interesting to hear in the video you say your grz is more accurate then your high power crossbows .

I think the GRZ as a lot going for it , For 3d target they ballance and shoulder really well.
Lot of shooters get sucked in by power specs and think an entery level crossbow just can't be that accurate , The GRZ is the sleeper of the Excalibur range , never heard a bad word yet from anyone that owns one.....

Even a pro sponsored shooter would be happy with that shot at 40 yards.

Can't see any need to change them arrows out if your nailing that degree of accuracy constantly that's for sure ....🎯🎯🎯

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Interesting to hear in the video you say your grz is more accurate then your high power crossbows .

I think the GRZ as a lot going for it , For 3d target they ballance and shoulder really well.
Lot of shooters get sucked in by power specs and think an entery level crossbow just can't be that accurate , The GRZ is the sleeper of the Excalibur range , never heard a bad word yet from anyone that owns one.....

Even a pro sponsored shooter would be happy with that shot at 40 yards.

Can't see any need to change them arrows out if your nailing that degree of accuracy constantly that's for sure ....🎯🎯🎯
Well I went and bought a mission sub 1 with a HHA tetra, level, rifle scope. Lol it's much harder to shoot because it's heavier than the grz2. However it's the most accurate bow ever,really amazing out past 60 yards. The short stock is horrible on the sub 1. I like them both though equally. I'm looking at a sub 1 lite. Not sure why more people don't use those for 3d. Same horrible stock though lol. I'm very anti speed freak. Even the lowest bows are still more powerful than a compound vertical bow, that's how I look at it. Thx

1 - 18 of 18 Posts