Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some ciferin' and came up with a 17% harder pull, but for those who have one, is it just too much to pull a 175# recurve crossbow by hand. I can pull 150# without any problems but am wondering if 175# might be too much. I like being able to cock the crossbow by hand and it has come in handy for quick second shots in the woods. The elk in my avatar was taken on a quick second shot after I misjudged the distance on my first shot. I may not have gotten a second shot if I had to pull out a cocking device. If you have hand cocked both, what is your opinion? Is it a lot harder?

·
Banned
364 Posts
I have a 180lb draw weight recurve and I can cock it by hand without too much of a struggle. I wouldn't want to do it repeatly especially when target shooting but for hunting I could easily hand cock it for a second shot if the opportunity was there,

That being said, you have to consider that I'm a pretty big guy. I stand 6ft tall and weight 225, pretty strong. A slight person or someone whoisn't very strong could have a problem cocking anyting over 150lbs, with out a roper cocker.

Even with white marks on the serving on each side of the rail., it is very easy to get the string off center when cocking a CB by hand. That can easily result in a missed second shot, by the arrow flight being squed.
I always use a rope cocker and I will not rush to get a second shot. Too many things can happen when you're in a hurry. If the critter leaves before I cock the CB with my rope assist then so be it.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
I'm with you ground hunter,
I don't have much use for a cocking device. They take too much time and work when I could have my bow cocked and ready to rock again, or in several of my cases, already shot and recocking again for the third shot. I wish the 175 was easier when I'm sighting in the bow and have to do alot of cocking, but to me the added power is so worth dealing with it. I'm just a mere old woman and I hand cock my crossbow always and several times over. Don't need no stinkin' help-unless Butch volunteers to cock for me. I'll take that help.
Actually, the first and last time I used a cocking device, it got stuck and wouldn't release. Several male employees tried to uncock it, but couldn't. I finally took the bow back and I got it uncocked alright! Sucker came back and slapped me in the chest! Lucky it didn't hit me in the mouth, and lucky I had several layers of clothing and coveralls on. That was it for me and cocking devices way back then. They may be better bow, but I can live without one. I don't shoot a recurve bow tho if that makes any difference to anyone. Still doesn't matter to me. I can do it!

·
11,565 Posts
I'm glad for you :)

I even cock my 125 lb Ten Point GT Flex with a cocking rope. Even if I could be 45 years old again I'd still use a cocking rope for accuracy alone. Different strokes for different folks:)

·
665 Posts
to answer the original question whats the difference between #150 and #175

#25 pounds :cool:

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
I agree with Moon. Hand cocking is fast but unpredictable for accuracy. The bowstring can load unevenly and that's how th bow will group. Now if your shots are all close it may not be much of a problem. But, at 30 and 40 yards I can definitely tell the difference. Using a rope cocker, like just about anything else, is a learned skill.There are little tricks I use for my different bows that make a big difference. For Excal, it's best to have the hooks opening up when attaching to the string. For Terminator and Cyclone it seems that having the hook opening down causes fewer roll-overs. I also shorten the cocker string about 2" and have learned to pull up and back simultaneously. My first attempt at string cocking resulted in a partial cock. (Likely what you had GG). The bow would not shoot. And the shop pro couldn't make it work. Now I know enough to just re-cock it; back then it nearly had to be sent back to the factory. (Who would have thought to read the manual, not a self respecting pro!) Two of my bows press 175 and 200 lbs. No way do I want to pull that by hand.

·
115 Posts
Im with GG on this. I have a 180 lb CB and it seems easy for me to cock it by hand, and I can still shoot a very tight group from 40 yards. In fact, that is the distance I practice at.

I still work out some on weights (simulated ... never guess what device I use ... yep .... a Crossbow by Weider), so I feel confident I could hand draw (cock) up to maybe 250 lbs.

I have a way of making sure I pull centered when I do it ... and it is much faster to reload and shoot again.

What is strange is that I make and sell Rope Cocking Devices ... !

·
163 Posts
leg power

My leg powered cocking device works slicker than snot on a door knob. Faster and much easier than rope or hand cocking. And accurate. I'm building a better prototype now. Doesn't matter what the draw weight of the crossbow is. You can cock it all day with this thing.

Gander Mt. is having a huge parking lot archery shindig today in Lansing, Michigan. I plan to contact appropriate vendors there about marketing the cocker.

·
115 Posts
Cossack said:
"I have a way of making sure I pull centered when I do it ..."

We're all ears.
You have to be aware of where center is before you pull. Don't use more than your two index fingers as the primary pull fingers. After a bunch of times doing it with concentration, it becomes second nature.

Another trick is to take just a touch of white paint (very little) or white nail polish (again very very little) and mark where dead center is on the serving. Just a very small dot is all that is needed. White Out works too.

The way I personally do it is to use the two index fingers, and I have done it so much I just can feel when it is right.

·
115 Posts
wild bill said:
My leg powered cocking device works slicker than snot on a door knob. Faster and much easier than rope or hand cocking. And accurate. I'm building a better prototype now. Doesn't matter what the draw weight of the crossbow is. You can cock it all day with this thing.

Gander Mt. is having a huge parking lot archery shindig today in Lansing, Michigan. I plan to contact appropriate vendors there about marketing the cocker.
Make sure you are protected. Go to a lawyer, or contact http://www.legalzoom.com and at least get a provisional patent on your idea.

It sounds as if you have a great invention there, WB. Don't let it get stolen.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Diff in 175.

Tried pulling the Cyclone by hand just for kicks. No way, and I'm not a little guy.
Must be the relatively small bow and reverse cams.

More to the point about the difference between 150 and 175 draw (compound): I'm betting approximately 6'' flatter trajectory at 40 yards with the 175. 355 fps compared to 318.
(Explained in Parker section below)

·
163 Posts
WallyD said:
Make sure you are protected. Go to a lawyer, or contact http://www.legalzoom.com and at least get a provisional patent on your idea.

It sounds as if you have a great invention there, WB. Don't let it get stolen.
Thanks, Wally. When I tried my first rudimentary prototype I was stunned at how slick it works. I am amazed that the Romans didn't invent it hundreds of years ago. History might have been totally different.

P.S. the Lansing Mi. Gander Mt. archery extravaganza shindig didn't impress me. Only 2 xbow vendors: 10 point and Parker. The 10 point rep had only 2 display models. Both top dollar compound xbows. ?????????? The Parker rep physically cut me off to tune in a video player when I was on my way to his display. I made a left turn and never went back. I went there with the cash to buy a recurve Xbow. I think that if Xcalibur had been there with a Vortex, it would be getting a workout on my leg powered cocking device tomorrow.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
. I think that if Xcalibur had been there with a Vortex, it would be getting a workout on my leg powered cocking device tomorrow.

I admire your taste, it's one fine bow, just a bit wide. (From firsthand experience I shoot one too).

·
224 Posts
Cossack said:
...There are little tricks I use for my different bows that make a big difference. For Excal, it's best to have the hooks opening up when attaching to the string. .....
Wow...I never even thought that'd make a difference.
I'll have to try that.

Thanks!!!

Pete

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
X2! You need signed and witnessed confidentiality/non-disclosure agreements before you present it to anyone other than a patent or trademark attorney buddy!
Sad to say but you can't trust anyone these days. I wish you all the best and can't wait to see it for sale with your name on it!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Moon said:
I even cock my 125 lb Ten Point GT Flex with a cocking rope. Even if I could be 45 years old again I'd still use a cocking rope for accuracy alone. Different strokes for different folks:)
I agree 100% a quick follow up shot dont mean much if you cock it uneven and miss all together.

Reactions: Stalker

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
I used to cock a 150 compound all the time by hand.My at the time 13 year old daughter could cock it to (Strong Girl).I finally broke down and bought a cocking rope when I got a 175.I have never cocked by hand since and still own the 150.Never needed a quick second shot any way.If thats a big concern shoot a vertical bow or hit the mark the first time.Just my 2cents.Marking one handle lets you know which side is which.I use camo duct tape so I can feel the difference in low light.

·
Registered
13,562 Posts
Well, I dont have to make that decision. My recurve is 200# and I HAVE to use the rope cocker.

Reactions: SWThomas

·
Registered
195 Posts
OK. I've been shooting a crossbow for going on two years and it never accursed to me to cock one w/o the rope! I tried to pull my DTM 330 past the string latching point I like to use and it seemed like the string could do some serious finger joint damage! That would probably be the end of my piping...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts