Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have used both flemish and continuous loop strings on your crossbows, do you notice a performance difference or is it mainly asthetics? Thanks.

·
224 Posts
You want to talk to this guy named Boo. He makes a very nice string.
Not sure where he hangs out at.

It is both by the way.....quieter and faster....

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like to build my own strings and have done continuous loop strings for my crossbow. I was just wondering if I should make a jig and get into making flemish strings.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
I make my own strings too, both continuous loop and Flemish. To answer your question, I'm getting 10-15 fps faster with my 24 strand Flemish than the continuous stock string that came with the bow. And they are much faster to make. I can knock one out in about a half hour, serving included. I make a jigless string, so no multi-peg jig is needed. It's much simpler and the string ends all end at the same point. They fluff out when shot and form into a kind of string silencer. The process is the same, except rather than using tapered bundles one uses bundles whose stings are of equal length. There are lots of vidio's on the web explaining the process. Try searching 'making Flemish string' This one is good on how to weave, even though the maker uses a jig:
http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/flemish1.htm,

this one too.

http://www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org/INGLESE/Main0.html

I started by practicing with some dacron fishing line until I got the hang of it then switched to Fastflite.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
PS

Incidentally, the info re making Flemish strings is under "The Reviews" section of the second site.

·
42 Posts
You'll have to forgive my ignorance, but what is the differance between continuous loop strings and Flemish strings? I assume that a continuous loop is exactly that, but what about Flemish?

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Continuous loop the individual strands are just that continuous. Then the loops served as well as a portion of the string down from the end.
The Flemish string is made of skeins of string and the ends are woven. Serving only ion the middle.

·
11,565 Posts
I've made continuous loop

strings since 1968. I always intended to learn how to make flemish but I've never had a problem with the continuous loops. I use Fast Flite materials and they are bullet -proof. I shoot them on Strykers on down to the slowest recurve crossbows. I admire flemish strings but most folks that make them say it takes longer to make flemish (I can knock out an endless loop in about 20 minutes including servings) than the continuous loops and they say the flemish is more of a hassle to keep the length right by twisting and untwisting. The little additional speed gained with the flemish is not that important to me so I guess I'll stick with what I've been doing all these years:)

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Don't believe everything you hear Moon., the Flemish string is much easier to make....take it from someone who does both. And did I mention that it's quieter?

·
42 Posts
I've been looking on the web for instructions on how to make a Flemish string for a crossbow, however all I have been able to find is info on bow strings.

Are there specific articles out there for making crossbow strings? or if not does any one on this site have advice for a newbie of how to work out just how many skeins are needed for a 150IB draw bow and how to actually start things up to make a Flemish string?

·
665 Posts
do oyu guys make strings for sale purposes?

I would like to get a few in the future but I want crazy color combo's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts