Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone can answer this.
Shooting my 420 deathstalker, shot great at 20, 40, 60 yards shooting off Caldwell lead sled at 11/2" orange dots hitting 95% of the time. Shooting 1 spynal tapp arrow all the time. Go out a week later to shoot, and shoot 20, 40, 60 yards again with same set-up and shoot 3" low at 20 40 60 yards.My question is, does the sunlight and different shadows have something to do with how your eye picks up the target threw the scope. If not why does this happen?

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Check all your screws and make certain they are all tight. It could be a defective scope but I bet you have a loose screw causing it. Also check and make sure your ATA is correct and your timing holes are approx 13/16" to the center of the holes.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Not sure if this will help as I am kinda new to xbows.
I know it affects target shooting with handgun and rifle setups.
Air temp and humidity may affect your xbow shooting repeatabilty as well.

I leave my gear outside for at least 30 minutes prior to shooting.
I would guess that a xbow, strings and scopes are affected by drastic temperature and humidity changes, such as going from a 70*F air conditioned room to 95*F outdoors.
I always take 2-3 practice shots first and many times, have to adjust a few clicks L-R/UP-DOWN regardless of which xbow I am shooting.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not sure if this will help as I am kinda new to xbows.
I know it affects target shooting with handgun and rifle setups.
Air temp and humidity may affect your xbow shooting repeatabilty as well.

I leave my gear outside for at least 30 minutes prior to shooting.
I would guess that a xbow, strings and scopes are affected by drastic temperature and humidity changes, such as going from a 70*F air conditioned room to 95*F outdoors.
I always take 2-3 practice shots first and many times, have to adjust a few clicks L-R/UP-DOWN regardless of which xbow I am shooting.
100% agree with this. My bow will shoot a little different up and down depending on the weather and if it’s not warmed up after a week or so break. Honestly drives me nuts because I like everything to be dialed in.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Weather shouldn't cause a huge change POI aside from wind impact. Rain on the string and cables might cause lower POI but we wax those so not likely.
It happened to me a couple of years ago with a CP Sniper. CP replaced the bow so I sold it. It didn't make any sense 😕. No lose parts could be found.
If my Ripper did that I would trade it away. But it doesn't.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I recently shot my Ripper 415 on three different occasions during a week at 100 and 115 yards without changing the scope vertical turret. Made minor windage adjustments. I was shooting tight groups. Very good bow and scope combo with sled and bench 👌

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Weather shouldn't cause a huge change POI aside from wind impact. Rain on the string and cables might cause lower POI but we wax those so not likely.
It happened to me a couple of years ago with a CP Sniper. CP replaced the bow so I sold it. It didn't make any sense 😕. No lose parts could be found.
When one is target shooting, a 1/8" is a mile.
That can be the difference between winning or coming in 8th place.

If you have ever studied ballistics, you would have studied how much weather (temp, humidity, barometric pressure) and even altitude affects ballistics.
As an extreme example, shooting in Death Valley, CA is not the same as shooting in Denver, CO, even if temps and humidity are exactly the same.
Sight adjustments would be required between the 2 locations, no doubt about it.

Also, xbows are made of different materials that are affected differently by temperature and humidity.
Metal may expand and contract faster than string, fiberglass, glass and plastic, for example.

Even the wax you use can affect the string/nock surface contact area, which will also affect POI.
Some manufacturers recommend not using wax on strings below certain temperatures.

Optics are affected by temps as well.
Photographers and astronomers know well enough to allow their equipment to reach thermal equilibrium for as long as an hour before viewing or imaging planets, stars, galaxies and nebulas.

Open your xbow and arrow cases when you get to your location and let them sit a while.
The slower you allow them to acclimate, the better.
For example, let them sit outside in the case for 30 minutes, then open the case and wait another 30 minutes.
Same thing when packing up. Seal them shut, then move them to a different temp and let them sit with the case closed for a couple hours to avoid condensation and rust.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
I've been shooting crossbows for a number of years now and find that somedays I just don't shoot good. Sometimes it's the equipment, loose screw or something but alot of times it's just me.
Yes, and there is the user factor as well, of course.
I can sense when I am in "the zone" so to speak and everything is hitting on all 8 cylinders.
When that happens, I don't want to stop shooting but health is another factor and mine is not the best.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I must be the acception with my Ripper. I am 70 years old and shooting better than ever with my current setup. Thanks God I don't worry about temperature and humidity. The CP support guys said their bows aren't sensitive to temperature change. They did say if you hunt in the rain and don't wax your string you will regret it. Recall the famous battle in the medieval times that was lost because of that.
There was a time when my vision was not as good one day as another but that isn't an issue now.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Yes, and there is the user factor as well, of course.
I can sense when I am in "the zone" so to speak and everything is hitting on all 8 cylinders.
When that happens, I don't want to stop shooting but health is another factor and mine is not the best.
I hear you brother. Same for me. I recently have gotten into shooting black powder pistols.
Talk about getting in the zone.
My newest is a 45 cal. Kentucky pistol. First time out, deadly to 25 yards but last week I couldn't hardly hit the paper.
I guess that as long as we keep at it and do the best we can.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
I must be the acception with my Ripper. I am 70 years old and shooting better than ever with my current setup. Thanks God I don't worry about temperature and humidity. The CP support guys said their bows aren't sensitive to temperature change. They did say if you hunt in the rain and don't wax your string you will regret it. Recall the famous battle in the medieval times that was lost because of that.
There was a time when my vision was not as good one day as another but that isn't an issue now.
Maybe you and your gear are "in the zone" right now, Spot-on?
Enjoy it while it lasts, it can be fleeting and hard to duplicate at times.
There are at least 3 active threads going on right now in different forum categories here on CBN about Members having changing POIs and trying to determine what is causing it to happen.

Reactions: Spot-on-arrow

·
Registered
162 Posts
Shooting my 420 deathstalker, shot great at 20, 40, 60 yards shooting off Caldwell lead sled at 11/2" orange dots hitting 95% of the time. Shooting 1 spynal tapp arrow all the time. Go out a week later to shoot, and shoot 20, 40, 60 yards again with same set-up and shoot 3" low at 20 40 60 yards.My question is, does the sunlight and different shadows have something to do with how your eye picks up the target threw the scope. If not why does this happen?
Every person should take one arrow and shoot it at various yardages to setup the scope for POI, to verify accuracy of the scope at various yardages and most importantly to verify his or her accuracy level

Example if you can't shoot a 1 in group at 50 yards with a single arrow you can't expect a set of arrows to shoot a 1 in group

Also to address your question it could be something loose.

You could have changed the way you hold the bow

It could be the scope

It could be the way you nock the arrow, cock the bow etc, temps or any of a dozen things

Also check the fit of the nock on the string.

Methodically go through every possible cause one at a time to rule it out until you find the cause

Once you feel your are sighted in, once you know your grouping ability you should shoot the entire set of arrows with field points to verify the arrows are grouping to your group size ability.

Once all of this is done then and only then move to broadheads

Shoot them on all of the arrows to verify POI compared to field points and to see if the group opens up

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
You are 100% correct, Spot-on-arrow.
All things considered, there should not be a sudden 3" drop at 20,40 and 60 yards.
I don't know where my head was at yesterday but obviously, I wasn't paying attention to the original post.
At times, I tend to ramble way off-topic, my apologies.
Every person should take one arrow and shoot it at various yardages to setup the scope for POI, to verify accuracy of the scope at various yardages and most importantly to verify his or her accuracy level...
Methodically go through every possible cause one at a time to rule it out until you find the cause...
There it is in a nutshell, eliminate all variables one at a time.
Develop consistent shooting habits so they become natural to you.
Any small deviation from this consistency can affect your POI.

·
8,875 Posts
Check … nock alignment and whether a vane is hitting the arrow retaining arm as it flies down the rails. A 3" wandering POI would make me suspicious of the scope. What scope is on your bow?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
[/QUOTE
🎯 :eek:
FYI!
IF anyone wants more info on temperature affects on POI just do a search for it on this website. There is tons of discussion.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
FYI!
IF anyone wants more info on temperature affects on POI just do a search for it on this website. There is tons of discussion.
Spot

1 - 18 of 18 Posts