Crossbow Nation banner

Disabled Washington State persons needing to use use Crossbows to hunt

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Fletcher 
#1 ·
I am a disabled person in Washington State unable use a conventional bow to hunt in Archery Season. I contacted WDFW to be "granted" a permit to use a crossbow, What a discriminatory excluding bureaucratic nightmare. I problem solved with attorneys, Drs. and staff from WDFW. There are strategies that helped me with the process. Contact me if you need help! 509.368.1307. redoakartsayahoo.com. Great hunting!

#4 ·
Welcome to the boards. :)

#6 ·
Welcome to the Crossbow Nation!

#7 ·
Glad to hear you got your permit Bill. Welcome.
I don't have it yet. I have submitted my version of paperwork. They will approve it though. Following is from my Dr's letter:
RE: William N Demers’ request for Special Use Permit; Use of crossbow in Archery hunting seasons.

For the sake of brevity this correspondence only discusses his upper extremity health and disability concerns. Mr. Demers has been a patient of mine for many years. His physical injuries and impairments are fixed and stable at this time. Surgery has been discussed. After Prayer and Petition, consultations with physicians, and physical therapists, considering issues of risk, surgery success, convalescence, likelihood of further injury and quality of life or possibility of death from complications and the possibilities of accommodation Mr. Demers has decided not to try surgery to further fix his situation. I support his decision. Aside from a miracle graced upon him by his Creator Mr. Demers’ injuries and health maladies are permanent.

Because of Mr. Demers’ physical limitations:

· Mr. Demers is unable to draw a bow that will produce 40 lbs of pull as required by Washington State Law. He cannot maintain a pull required for successful Archery hunting fulfilling Washington State standards.

· Mr Demers cannot hold a bow steady to make an ethical kill.

A cross bow allows Mr. Demers to legally Archery hunt in Washington State. Following are the cross bow’s advantages allowing Mr. Demers to Archery hunt:

· A cross bow can be “cocked” prior to presentation to dispatch an animal.

· A cross bow will hold the string at the desired position allowing it to be “pre-cocked” by a companion.

· A cross bow allows for assisting mechanisms to “cock” or draw the string prior to release of the bolt enabling Mr. Demers to use the bow independently of other persons.

· A cross bow can be used on a bench rest, tripod, bipod, shooting sticks or other steadying support enabling Mr. Demers to dispatch an animal ethically. A long or compound bow because of its design cannot.

Please accommodate Mr. Demers hunting wishes by permitting him to use a crossbow for hunting in Washington State archery seasons.

#9 ·
Sadly, If they roll over and give me the permit, I get the permit. I think they will despite my not following their protocol. If they don't, I have a team of folks set to bring legal action for discrimination. It should not cost $5,000.00 for this. The exam they require costs that much. They have no business second guessing my Dr. They do not recognize Multiple Schlerosis and Parkinsons as disabilities. They require surgery if possible despite My Dr and I deciding it is a bad gamble. They require access to all my medical records as well.

#11 ·
Welcome to the forum and hats off to you for your efforts in getting to get to hunt with a crossbow. If you happen to be in the Western part of the state, your welcome to come shoot this winter as I have an indoor heated 30 yard range. Plenty of extra X-Bows at your disposal to shoot.

#14 ·
Delores Noyes of washington Fish and Wildlife is a pain in the butt, acted dishonestly and is the worst of bureaucrats. Conversely the folks at the front desk in Spokane, the Eastern Wa guy Kenin Robinette and Heidi Colborn are as great as the AD lady is bad. Except for the ADA lady all have indicated my concerns of exclusion and discrimination are valid. I believe it will turn out but am still holding my breath. The ADA lady has tried to build a kingdom and will surely defend it. Thanks for asking. When success occurs I will write a narration to help others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.