Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, had a disaster today. Went out for target practice, winding the crossbow in "silent mode." I did not release the handle, but the hand knob came off the bolt on the crank 1/2 way. I know this because I was still holding it at the end. The crank went wild and gashed my finger pretty good (the bolt that was still affixed to the crank).

Could have been a lot worse. I might need a stitch or two but for now I just butterflied it.

The crank subsequently cracked a chip off of the fiberglass on the bow. I don't think this is probably particularly load bearing, but wanted to ask you guys. I have the chip and it is a perfect fit so I could superglue it back on. Any thoughts on this? Compromise structural integrity? glue it?

Also the crank hit the turrent so hard it sheared off. Assuming the bow is OK it looks like I am in the market for a scope. Vortex seems reasonably priced... any suggestions?

Thank you,
QM

Attachments

· Registered
8,441 Posts
Much better pics and I agree to glue it back. Any idea how on earth your bolt came loose from the handle?
If you look at the knob of the Ravin handle as per their website, the bolt has a slot that a screw driver fits
into to tighten the handle. This bolt may work loose over time and if the operator is not paying attention,
the bolt can eventually come out, possibly taking the last few threads of the bolt or handle with it.

One example I have found on one of my crank cocking devices is the bolt is steel, but screws into an aluminum
handle section. The bolt has a shoulder to normally prevent it from being over tightened. My handle was
aluminum which is unsatisfactory for that purpose. To make my repair, I shaved a bit off the knob where it
would contact the handle as the bolt shoulder had worked into the aluminum. I then added Gorilla Glue to
the bolt and seated it, making sure the knob turned free. I then peined the threaded end of the bolt with a small
ball pein hammer and let everything set up. No more bolt coming loose or possibly falling out like the original
design.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

· Registered
18,888 Posts
If you look at the knob of the Ravin handle as per their website, the bolt has a slot that a screw driver fits
into to tighten the handle. This bolt may work loose over time and if the operator is not paying attention,
the bolt can eventually come out, possibly taking the last few threads of the bolt or handle with it.

One example I have found on one of my crank cocking devices is the bolt is steel, but screws into an aluminum
handle section. The bolt has a shoulder to normally prevent it from being over tightened. My handle was
aluminum which is unsatisfactory for that purpose. To make my repair, I shaved a bit off the knob where it
would contact the handle as the bolt shoulder had worked into the aluminum. I then added Gorilla Glue to
the bolt and seated it, making sure the knob turned free. I then peined the threaded end of the bolt with a small
ball pein hammer and let everything set up. No more bolt coming loose or possibly falling out like the original
design.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.
I happen to own one and I would think I would notice it getting loose long before it would slip off. I always give mine a small tug before cocking or uncocking.

· Premium Member
RDX 400, Nitro 505 w/Oracle X
429 Posts
I would agree with WWB. Wipe it clean and super glue.
Due to no fault of one of my cranks being used w/o the safety clicker, one frosty morning my hand slipped off the handle and freewheeled”close to 360”. Ended up with a broken middle finger knuckle. I now primarily use one where that should be prevented, but with the other I use the clicker and turn the handle slowly. I just sat for a moment thinking it must not be too bad. Then blood started dripping out the bottom middle finger glove. It’s
REALLY no fun to slide a glove off and see a temporarily inverted knuckle…as you can see, it did pop back out:whistle:

Skin Hand Leg Gesture Thumb

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I put the handle back together @Pin Wheel ; as @bunnyrabbit said there is a screw (bolt?) mine has an Allen head. I did notice that it can "feel" tight even if the bolt isn't fully inserted which may be a product of the threads catching the knob just right when snugged to the handle, even though more bolt was still exposed. I wonder if it was in this condition, as I would have noticed if the handle was flopping around. It happens FAST... at first I thought my hand must have slipped until I realized I was holding the knob. Thank goodness I had my emergency woodsman's TP in a ziplock in the back of the jeep to catch the blood!

After a consult with a MD in the family, just going to put some steri-strips on the wound and immobilize for a few days. I have tickets to fly to the Chesapeake for a goose hunt on Thursday and need patched up! Ouch @Norski , I am lucky I didn't break the knuckle (that I know of) but there was a little play in the bolt and I think it move finger moved with it on impact. I will definitely be cranking in "click" mode for a while.

· Registered
18,888 Posts
I thought that maybe the blot had snapped behind the handle. My handle takes a 7/64 allen wrench. If I were you I would use either blue or red loctite on it. When using it pull on the handle before cranking and if it slips more than about 1/8" it is getting loose. Mine does have about that much play in it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts