Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
8,441 Posts
Much better pics and I agree to glue it back. Any idea how on earth your bolt came loose from the handle?
If you look at the knob of the Ravin handle as per their website, the bolt has a slot that a screw driver fits
into to tighten the handle. This bolt may work loose over time and if the operator is not paying attention,
the bolt can eventually come out, possibly taking the last few threads of the bolt or handle with it.

One example I have found on one of my crank cocking devices is the bolt is steel, but screws into an aluminum
handle section. The bolt has a shoulder to normally prevent it from being over tightened. My handle was
aluminum which is unsatisfactory for that purpose. To make my repair, I shaved a bit off the knob where it
would contact the handle as the bolt shoulder had worked into the aluminum. I then added Gorilla Glue to
the bolt and seated it, making sure the knob turned free. I then peined the threaded end of the bolt with a small
ball pein hammer and let everything set up. No more bolt coming loose or possibly falling out like the original
design.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

· Registered
8,441 Posts
If one is using a crank cocking device on a crossbow and it either does not have the safety
device or if the device is not engaged: if ones hand came of the handle, the device will back
spin possibly causing an injury like happened and may destroy the crossbow. With the handle
coming off like it did, if the safety was engaged, there may be a small back spin until the safety
engages.

Take care.

· Registered
8,441 Posts
Thinking about how this could happen some more… if I am cranking it clockwise and holding the handle… If the handle doesn’t spin freely, would I not be effectively unscrewing it from the bolt every crank?
Yes you would. If the handle is too tight on the bolt, remove it and file where it
meets the crank to give it more clearance. Add locktite or Gorilla Glue to the
threads and re install the bolt and let it set up for a while. This is what had to
with one of my crank cocking devices.
I then peined the end of the threaded section so the bolt can not come out.

Take care.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts