Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, had a disaster today. Went out for target practice, winding the crossbow in "silent mode." I did not release the handle, but the hand knob came off the bolt on the crank 1/2 way. I know this because I was still holding it at the end. The crank went wild and gashed my finger pretty good (the bolt that was still affixed to the crank).

Could have been a lot worse. I might need a stitch or two but for now I just butterflied it.

The crank subsequently cracked a chip off of the fiberglass on the bow. I don't think this is probably particularly load bearing, but wanted to ask you guys. I have the chip and it is a perfect fit so I could superglue it back on. Any thoughts on this? Compromise structural integrity? glue it?

Also the crank hit the turrent so hard it sheared off. Assuming the bow is OK it looks like I am in the market for a scope. Vortex seems reasonably priced... any suggestions?

Thank you,
QM

Attachments

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I put the handle back together @Pin Wheel ; as @bunnyrabbit said there is a screw (bolt?) mine has an Allen head. I did notice that it can "feel" tight even if the bolt isn't fully inserted which may be a product of the threads catching the knob just right when snugged to the handle, even though more bolt was still exposed. I wonder if it was in this condition, as I would have noticed if the handle was flopping around. It happens FAST... at first I thought my hand must have slipped until I realized I was holding the knob. Thank goodness I had my emergency woodsman's TP in a ziplock in the back of the jeep to catch the blood!

After a consult with a MD in the family, just going to put some steri-strips on the wound and immobilize for a few days. I have tickets to fly to the Chesapeake for a goose hunt on Thursday and need patched up! Ouch @Norski , I am lucky I didn't break the knuckle (that I know of) but there was a little play in the bolt and I think it move finger moved with it on impact. I will definitely be cranking in "click" mode for a while.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I like rope cock the best. But my disability which took me to the xbow, does not allow that and I need a hand crank. I have the R10.... I always fire my bow into a release target, when I get back to truck or cabin.

Did this happen when you were decocking the bow?
No, I have yet to use the de-cock function.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Thinking about how this could happen some more… if I am cranking it clockwise and holding the handle… If the handle doesn’t spin freely, would I not be effectively unscrewing it from the bolt every crank?

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
So far, the response from Ravin has been incredible. "Send it in prepaid; we will replace any parts damaged and go through the entire bow/trigger group and send it back." They noted that I would be getting a different handle. I mentioned that the new handle design may be related to the old handle design's capability of popping off on a user during the cocking procedure. As @bunnyrabbit noted above there is a flat head screw. What is noteworthy is on the old design the bolt came from the crank side and now it comes from the handle side. I think that means that instead of potentially loosening the knob during cranking you would be tightening it. I am curious to see if the knew slimmer knob is on some type of pin/roller which would lower the force being transferred from knob to bolt.

Will keep you posted, but so far they have been top flight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts