Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
Killer Instinct Bone Collector 370
238 Posts
Well, had a disaster today. Went out for target practice, winding the crossbow in "silent mode." I did not release the handle, but the hand knob came off the bolt on the crank 1/2 way. I know this because I was still holding it at the end. The crank went wild and gashed my finger pretty good (the bolt that was still affixed to the crank).

Could have been a lot worse. I might need a stitch or two but for now I just butterflied it.

The crank subsequently cracked a chip off of the fiberglass on the bow. I don't think this is probably particularly load bearing, but wanted to ask you guys. I have the chip and it is a perfect fit so I could superglue it back on. Any thoughts on this? Compromise structural integrity? glue it?

Also the crank hit the turrent so hard it sheared off. Assuming the bow is OK it looks like I am in the market for a scope. Vortex seems reasonably priced... any suggestions?

Thank you,
QM
Only thing I would trust gluing it back on with would be JB weld, but shouldn't that be a warranty issue?

15,015 Posts
Only thing I would trust gluing it back on with would be JB weld, but shouldn't that be a warranty issue?
Probably ... fine print in the owner's manual written by the company CYA lawyer making the buyer responsible if he didn't send the crank handle back in for servicing each year...lol :p 😂;)

· Registered
Sonoran Desert Arizona.
1,288 Posts
I was looking at a Ravin with a broken scope ,stock and bent crank in a local shop a couple days ago an asked if it got away from the owner and they said he decided to release the crank and just let it go to uncock it. He thought it wouldn't hurt it. Are you kidding me!!! Some people shouldn't own crossbows. I had one of mine get away after a long day cold hands and got in a hurry and got a lot of bruising, not fun!

· Registered
1,759 Posts
I am glad it was not worse.
I built some extra crank handles for my Acudraw (more than once I left the crank handle in blind). Accidents like this is why I will never sell any.
I used should bolts into a threaded hole in an aluminum handle, then a thin nut (not enough threads for locknut). I think I will remove the nuts, add Loctite and reassemble.

15,015 Posts
I am glad it was not worse.
I built some extra crank handles for my Acudraw (more than once I left the crank handle in blind). Accidents like this is why I will never sell any.
I used should bolts into a threaded hole in an aluminum handle, then a thin nut (not enough threads for locknut). I think I will remove the nuts, add Loctite and reassemble.
I always ... carried a second cocking sled, or now a crank handle, in my pocket in case I had to get down and finish off a deer.

5,014 Posts
This is why i kinda like bows i can rope cock and uncock. When my bows become to hard to cock i'll turn the poundage down. 15 years of doing it that way and never a hint of a problem kinda spoils a feller :).

· Registered
284 Posts
I like rope cock the best. But my disability which took me to the xbow, does not allow that and I need a hand crank. I have the R10.... I always fire my bow into a release target, when I get back to truck or cabin.

Did this happen when you were decocking the bow?

· Registered
Wicked Ridge RDX400
300 Posts
OK, so please explain , the Ravin's do not use a internal safety one way bearing on their crank assist system that abruptly locks the crank handle if it slips out of your hand ? So the operator needs to 100% maintain control of the handle or you risk a handle "runaway" ?

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I like rope cock the best. But my disability which took me to the xbow, does not allow that and I need a hand crank. I have the R10.... I always fire my bow into a release target, when I get back to truck or cabin.

Did this happen when you were decocking the bow?
No, I have yet to use the de-cock function.

· Registered
8,441 Posts
If one is using a crank cocking device on a crossbow and it either does not have the safety
device or if the device is not engaged: if ones hand came of the handle, the device will back
spin possibly causing an injury like happened and may destroy the crossbow. With the handle
coming off like it did, if the safety was engaged, there may be a small back spin until the safety
engages.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

· Registered
Wicked Ridge RDX400
300 Posts
Well on the TP Accudraw Pro the one-way safety lock has saved my butt a few times. The crank handle is only secured by an internal magnet on the shaft (and not a super strong magnet ) , a few instances while cranking the handle backed off to the point of falling off . The Mission RSD crank handle has a pin detent design so once it's engaged , it's locked and can't come disengaged. The RSD also uses a one way safety where as the only way to allow a freewheel scenario is to press and maintain pressure on the retract lever. Good feedback on "some" of the Ravin crank systems , those models with no one way safety are crossed OFF my potential used purchases list . Those models are a recipie for a trip to the ER with a fractured wrist and/or broken fingers !

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Thinking about how this could happen some more… if I am cranking it clockwise and holding the handle… If the handle doesn’t spin freely, would I not be effectively unscrewing it from the bolt every crank?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts