Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks , Need some help with an issue. The hunt is over, you return to your vehicle, now you need to shoot your bow.
I ve always carried around a target and shot an arrow into it to unload/decock my bow. But , so many times, in order to be compliant with being 100 yards away from a home, I ve now got to head back into the woods to do so,, That s a Pain. Whats everyone else doing ? I ve been told discharge bolts cause damage to a bow in time,.I dont know first hand...So,,, does someone have a go to that works., Thanks a bunch.
Stan

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just bring a junky target arrow and shoot into the ground....

Happy hunting!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,467 Posts
If I have a bow with me that has to be discharged I throw a 5 gallon bucket that is full of old clothes in my truck and shoot it using a field point as soon as I get back to the truck. I cut a big circle in the snap on top and put cardboard under it as my target. Works well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Robertyb,,, I have a block I use, but Im looking for an alternative. If Im within 100 yards of a house,, I have to make sure Im 100 yrds or more away,, Thats why I want another option other than a target at the truck.. I ve heard discharge bolts arent so friendly to crossbows.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discharge ARROWS are nothing more than an overweight hunting ARROW. IMO, heavy ARROWS do not damage equipment. Robertyb's method works well without another purchase. Good Luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Highly doubt a discharge arrow will cause any damage over time, as it's just a front heavy arrow made to not dig in to the ground or target too far. Problem with the discharge arrow in your case, is that your still discharging the bow within a safety zone apparently.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Think the OP is trying to avoid shooting any arrow within 100y of a house, due to his local laws. If so, a discharge arrow is still an arrow, so I’m not sure that solves his concern.

Like everyone else here, I fire into a target that I bring along.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have a $20 yellow jacket discharge target and I use the cheap bolts that came with my crossbow as the discharge bolt

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe I created some confusion . What Im looking for is, what is being used by folks as a discharge arrow at their stand/blind. That way I am unloaded when I get back to the truck. I ve used a target for my discharge for a long time now.,Im trying to avoid having to walk back to the truck at night with a cocked bow, than grabbing my target and walking back into the woods to dump it. Make sense ?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ok, I take my bolt out, lower my crossbow from my treestand.....I then put the bolt back in, once back at my truck I replace the hunting bolt with the cheap bolt that came with my crossbow and discharge it into the bag.......

why would you go back into the woods to discharge it?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
why go back into the woods to discharge it ... well , I hunt in some rural areas. One spot at the end of a cul de sac.. In order to discharge a firearm I have to be 100 Yards from an occupied dwelling. I ll figure it out, Thanks to all. Post closed.🔚

·
Registered
145 Posts
OP don't want to threadjack but sounds like you got the answer you're looking for, my question is do discharge bolts really negatively impact the crossbow? My plan was just to take the discharge bolt into the stand with me and once I'm done fire it at the ground on my walk out. If it does impact the bow negatively, I could always keep my target in my truck/4 wheeler but that's kind of a pain.

·
Registered
168 Posts
South Shore archery makes a discharge arrow.

Its a standard arrow with a second shaft glued inside it with a special insert and a 175 grain point

·
Crossbow Nut
3,124 Posts
Maybe I created some confusion . What Im looking for is, what is being used by folks as a discharge arrow at their stand/blind. That way I am unloaded when I get back to the truck. I ve used a target for my discharge for a long time now.,Im trying to avoid having to walk back to the truck at night with a cocked bow, than grabbing my target and walking back into the woods to dump it. Make sense ?
#1, Makes perfect sense BUT if you're hunting, you're already at least 100 yards away, so why not discharge an old arrow you have in your quiver into the ground before you come down? I never liked lowering or raising a cocked crossbow anyway.
#2 Using a discharge arrow will not harm your bow unless it is lighter than manufacturer's specs, loaded wrong, nock in wrong position, or other malpractice. Sounds like you got that fear from some forum expert who heard some misinformation, and now has become their "truth".
#3 My bow allows decocking without firing, but if it didn't, I'd buy a discharge arrow at Walmart, or use an old arrow I didn't care about, and keep it in my quiver or blind, ready to use at hunt's end.

Reactions: Irsh and trippa002

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I use a OMP discharge head that screws onto an arrow. I keep a arrow in my truck with the head on it and shoot it into ground.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Barnett sells these cheap small discharge bolts. Fits in your pocket. I carry one with me when I go afield. They must disintegrate when they hit the ground because I've never been able to find one.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
And in my neighborhood, I can shoot my xbow right off my deck!!! My neighbors love it!!! They said if I see a deer in their garden, launch a pointy stick right over the fence and take the buggar out!!! Sounds like you guys got a bunch of candy azzes down there!!! Too bad.... that sucks!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts