Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking my trail cams with black infrared leds, I took my Picture in camo. Just looked at them and my whole outfit is white except for my hand muff. Is that how deer see me walking to my stands in early morning and walking back in the dark. I know there is a UV spray that is supposed to block that color spectrum but always thought it was a another myth. What do you think? Thanks.

·
Registered
924 Posts
No. Animals dont see infrared whatever. They see better than ours in the dark because their eyes keep more light than us. My cat in the dark has eyes completed open.

I think animals in general see in the dark like we would see if we use a light moltiplicator.

·
12,944 Posts
Humans see ... about 400nm to about 750nm on the light spectrum. Those "red" cameras that the deer are looking at all the time take photos in the 840nm range. Obviously deer & hogs see it. The "Black" cameras jump up to the 940nm range and are less noticeable. We have 840nm illuminators and 940nm illuminators for Night Vision optics. I can tell you from experience that the brighter 840nm illuminators will frighten "spooky" or educated animals. So clearly they can see it. I was watching for female hogs through NV one time out in the south Pacific. Every now and then the boar 50 yards in front of me would light up like someone shined a helo spotlight on it. Finally it dawned on me that it was a 840nm trail camera I had setup going off every few minutes. Point being, they see a lot more on that "light" spectrum than we do.

As for glowing ultraviolet clothing?, I tend to disbelieve that deer see it that way. My opinion, it's just another way to sell snake oil and separate you from your money. What I CAN guarantee is that deer can see 270 to 320 degrees around them and they pick up ANY movement superbly. They hear like they have stethoscopes for ears. They will see you moving and hear you coming for dang sure. I wouldn't worry about what type of fashion statement your outfit makes on the way to your stand ...lol;)

·
Banned
0 Posts
The deer more often actually hear the trigger mechanism of the camera when it takes video & pics. The red and black LEDs are not as visible to deer as they are to the human eyes, but the bright clear LEDs & regular flashes is what deer definitely see because their eyes gather any form of light in the darkness just like all animals giving them the gift of sight at night.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The deer more often actually hear the trigger mechanism of the camera when it takes video & pics. The red and black LEDs are not as visible to deer as they are to the human eyes, but the bright clear LEDs & regular flashes is what deer definitely see because their eyes gather any form of light in the darkness just like all animals giving them the gift of sight at night.
Agreed. Considering I can hear the camera click when it takes a pic, I know darn well a deer can hear it.

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
When you see yourself solid white in the picture usually you are too close to the camera and got washed out from the flash. I get deer pictures like that when theyre too close too. The deer see the red and even the white lights from cameras but at night time they usually don't spook. Rather I believe they become more suspicious sometimes and investigate getting right up on the camera before loosing interest and leaving. As far as store-bought items to apply to your clothing?!? I never have bought any so I cannot say.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I know on my photon Nv scope animals can see the if. Doesn't seem to scare them , but yes they can see it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts