Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime way back in time, I read a article that basically stated a deer only has a short term memory of like 24 to 48 hours. I really don't remember where the article was or even if it was scientifically done.
I have my opinions on the subject, But please share your thoughts on this. Maybe share your reasons for your opinion.

·
Registered
Excalibur Micro 355 Suppressor
178 Posts
Nope...like it's been said, "if they did, ya couldn't kill 'em"!!

Reactions: cbhunter

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think big bucks can absolutely remember where they had a
bad encounter. My dog can remember what tree she treed a
squirrel in for weeks. Every time you go to that patch of woods
she'll make a beeline for that tree.

That's why the odds of killing a big buck are always best the
first time you hunt a spot. If they didn't remember anything
then this wouldn't be true.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Seems more than just a little presumptuous to me for us to consider they do not have long term memory.

Across a year, they have needs that are quite specific and must be met. Their dietary needs change. Their cover changes. The whole environment goes from spring to summer to fall to winter Each can be VERY different. They need to adapt all over again? Instinct would tell them to migrate. Memory tells them where to migrate to. When their life is dependent upon conserving energy and getting from summer range to winter range, just migrating without intent and foreknowledge could well get them killed.

The difficult task in understanding this is to understand which are intellectual accomplishments and which are combinations of physical talents and instinct

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
I had that deja vu feeling:
Do Deer have memories? | Crossbow Nation

More good reading:
Have an old mature doe that will check stands as she walks through the woods. She looks from a ways off then walks to the base of it sniffs ladder/pegs and looks up and continues. Quite interesting to watch her do it. Last year was 3rd year in a row i watched her do it. But since shes so good at it i cant ever shoot her.
How long of a memory does a deer have? - Deer Hunting - Hunting New York - NY Empire State Hunting Forum - Bow Hunting, Fishing, Bear, Deer (huntingny.com)

·
Registered
MK-XB58 Kraken / Hawke 3-9x50 parallax, mildot
3,667 Posts
i assume deers has pretty much same brain mechanics as humans, short term memory is 4-6minutes from where important things are transfered to long term memory after those few minutes has gone, its just matter of what functions we use and have practise on

you can also use this as to your advantage if your short term memory is failing on you and practise the form of "catching" while this transfer happens, its usefull when you suddenly forget what you were saying for example, just wait for 4-6minutes and it often pops up

have you ever tried to give up smoking? im sure you can use that as an example of "lack of long term memory"
you can make same claim of humans

pretty much goes south like most studies on animals

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
If anyone that says they do can prove it somehow then I may agree with them. I say it all the time, you don't know what's going on in a deer's head/mind.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
All animals learn the same way, stimulus and response. Just like people, some have the ability to progress faster than others. I have hunted some high-pressure state properties where the deer walk through the woods actually looking up at the trees. Talk about a learned response! It makes you wonder how many times that doe was either shot at or busted someone moving in a tree stand.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
All animals learn the same way, stimulus and response. Just like people, some have the ability to progress faster than others. I have hunted some high-pressure state properties where the deer walk through the woods actually looking up at the trees. Talk about a learned response! It makes you wonder how many times that doe was either shot at or busted someone moving in a tree stand.
Well that is a survival instinct. It comes from repetitive stimulus. Not really the same as long-term memory from a single encounter.

Reactions: AJ01

·
Registered
17,117 Posts
Learned responses are actually passed on from a mother to her offspring. A doe that has learned to look up for danger will pass that on to her young just by doing so. No different than teaching them to run from a human when threatened. For years and years deer were mostly hunted from the ground and deer became acclimated to danger from ground level and did not pay a lot of attention to the trees. That has changed since the introduction of ladder stands and climbing stands, etc. over the past 40 years or so. If I get busted twice out of a tree in the same season I will not climb that tree again for 2 or 3 years cause they come in looking. I have moved less than 15 yards to another tree though and not get busted as long as I have good background cover. It is fun to watch a mature doe come in staring into a tree looking for you but it isn't the tree you are now sitting in.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
How would they remember where every fence and tree in the area was if they forget in 24 hrs. Or how to even bet home

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
I'd say they have good memories. If you put a new blind in, they will know it wasn't there before. They get used to it, but they new it was different. Could be the smell I guess, but my bet is they remember!

Reactions: Jimspur and Regohio

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Learned responses are actually passed on from a mother to her offspring. A doe that has learned to look up for danger will pass that on to her young just by doing so. No different than teaching them to run from a human when threatened. For years and years deer were mostly hunted from the ground and deer became acclimated to danger from ground level and did not pay a lot of attention to the trees. That has changed sine the introduction of ladder stands and climbing stands, etc. over the past 40 years or so. If I get busted twice out of a tree in the same season I will not climb that tree again for 2 or 3 years cause they come in looking. I have moved less than 15 yards to another tree though and not get busted as long as I have good background cover. It is fun to watch a mature doe come in staring into a tree looking for you but it isn't the tree you are now sitting in.
Sort of like a male dog squatting to pee instead of raising its leg. It's learned, not instinct.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts