Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use to use various coverup scents but got away from it. better get to using again. Got snorted at two days in a row.
Your preference?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hunting down in SW Alabama where pine is dominant I usually crush pine needles and rub them on my clothing before I get in the stand. I also use ozonics to dry-wash my hunting clothes and spray some scent blocker on my boots.

I was using ozonics in the stand, but I've had deer alert to it several times. Plus I think they hear the fan running which is loud enough to affect my ability to hear deer sneaking through the brush. I think it's good technology and scientifically sound - ozone kills odors - but I think the deer can tell something odd is going on. Like I said, I'll continue to use it as a dry-wash, but won't tote it to the field.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really think if a deer isn't day dreaming and like a dog they will probably smell you. They did tests with dogs and you could not cover up the scent trail or scent completely. Scent cover should mask to some degree tho.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use field spray, wash with odorless body wash and spray my boots down pretty well with field spray (or doe Urine), and I hang all of my clothes outside until it is time to hunt (going to suck putting them on this Saturday when it will be in the 20's). Most of the time it works. I had 5 does all around my stand last year and none of them made me. I did not get a shot off because they were literally right on top of me the whole time and then worked their way behind the tree I was in. I had a little buck looking at me, but he could not figure out what I was, but some days I have had the take off, when I do the same thing, go figure. I play the wind more than anything though. We have stands all over the property so we can hunt different spots depending upon the wind direction.

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Corn!;):)

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Conquest EverCalm.

Reactions: Stalker

·
1,341 Posts
You can make your own spray,,scentless soap,,bake soda,,Hydrogen peroxide, and rain or distilled water. this helps kill odors and bacteria. I shower with scent free soap and bake soda. All helps some. You will always put out some scent but you can cut down on it. Some deer very skittish to any scent some tolerate some.

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Where I hunted for 30+ years in east NC there were lots of red foxes around. I used red fox urine as a cover sent and it works. I would spray some on the bottom of my boots to walk into my stand and used 35mm film bottles with cotton balls inside and sprayed the urine into them as sent bombs. I would put one or two up in the stand with me. Now that I am hunting in east TN I am using coon urine because coons are everywhere on the property I hunt. When done with the hunt I put the cap on the bottles and place them in a zip lock plastic bag with the spray bottle of urine and it contains the stink for transportation.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I read somewhere where a guy always hung his hunting clothes in the barn with the horses and cows. Said it worked for him on his farm.
Bill

Reactions: dale lockwood

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Am I having problems getting close enough to a deer with my bow because all I do is wash my clothes with un-scented detergent and myself with nothing but Ivory soap? This buck fed all around me and then bedded for over an hour 15 yards from the base of the tree I climbed that morning. I let him walk. :)

·
Crossbow Nut
3,101 Posts
I just hunt with wind in my face. I use smoke to mask synthetic odors of popup blinds and such sometimes.

Reactions: deadeer

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hunting down in SW Alabama where pine is dominant I usually crush pine needles and rub them on my clothing before I get in the stand. I also use ozonics to dry-wash my hunting clothes and spray some scent blocker on my boots.

I was using ozonics in the stand, but I've had deer alert to it several times. Plus I think they hear the fan running which is loud enough to affect my ability to hear deer sneaking through the brush. I think it's good technology and scientifically sound - ozone kills odors - but I think the deer can tell something odd is going on. Like I said, I'll continue to use it as a dry-wash, but won't tote it to the field.
The deer that are alerting when you use ozonics.
Are they more or less under you?
Only deer to alert on me are the ones that get under me innstand or very close.
Deer at 12 yards plus out, have never alerted even if they are dead down wind. When using my ozonics unit.
Ozonics works better in a blind situation. I have had real good performance /results using blind with ozonics even with temps above 93F on deer. Even in blinds that are not brushed in whatsoever. The deer look at the blinds, extend their heads sniffing. Smell nothingness threatening and keep doing what they do until I trip the trigger on my Ravin .R29. Then they head to my freezer.
Ozonics unit helped me double my deer take last year.
And is working great this year too.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts