Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I hunt out of a red cedar tower stand. We have cedar trees around our hunting area to. Their use to that smell so I freshen up stand with cedar scent. Does a great job.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Am I having problems getting close enough to a deer with my bow because all I do is wash my clothes with un-scented detergent and myself with nothing but Ivory soap? This buck fed all around me and then bedded for over an hour 15 yards from the base of the tree I climbed that morning. I let him walk. :)
^ X2 here. Clothes should be fresh daily in non-scent and bath with Ivory soap.
If the deer don't like your cover scent -- that may mess up area.....

Horrns

·
Registered
21 Posts
^ X2 here. Clothes should be fresh daily in non-scent and bath with Ivory soap.
If the deer don't like your cover scent -- that may mess up area.....

Horrns

Don't like raining on a nice parade, but up here it's common practice to chunk Ivory soap and place it out as a deer repellent.....

I use Hunter Specialties' soap & shampoo, and their deoderant, and wash my clothes in Atskos laundry detergent after each hunt. Attractant is Zeiglers Apple Cider, which also tastes great on stand.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
WEB: No problem -- that is what has worked for me......27 bucks by crossbow......7 with gun....

Now if you wanna scare them off -- nothing beats Irish Spring cut up into giblets and scattered about...

Horns

·
Registered
107 Posts
I decided to eat an apple in my stand yesterday. Threw the core 10 yds and you know what, a 4pt buck came in 30 minutes later to check it out. Didn't shoot him but we did stare at one another a few minutes.
- back on topic, I store my hunting clothes in a plastic tote and put a couple of acorn scentwafers.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Most recently I use Dead Down Wind scent killing spray. Also use all the other steps in cleaning body and clothes plus storage. I do not wear hunting clothes until I get to hunt sight then change before and after done.
Yesterday I tested this method by hunting up wind from scrape and bait pile. One buck and 4 doe came in and stayed. 2 were there about 50 minutes without noticing me. Yes there were mature does. Deer urine used on ground for cover spray but I was 24' up.

Reactions: Web

·
Registered
21 Posts
Most recently I use Dead Down Wind scent killing spray. Also use all the other steps in cleaning body and clothes plus storage. I do not wear hunting clothes until I get to hunt sight then change before and after done.
Yesterday I tested this method by hunting up wind from scrape and bait pile. One buck and 4 doe came in and stayed. 2 were there about 50 minutes without noticing me. Yes there were mature does. Deer urine used on ground for cover spray but I was 24' up.
Sounds like you have a system that does eactly what you're looking to get done! Great job!

How high up were you hunting?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
24 feet up a whiteoak in a lock on stand that put me 22 yards from them.
I had a thought yesterday to test another cover scent using the clean creek water the deer drink from All natural and free.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I just hate when I do all the hard work of descenting.......then I let off a giant, methane bomb!!! .......... Anyone relate...?
Yeah! That is sorta counter productive because all the game goes the other direction fast. You should squirt odor killer in your pants. :eek::poop::unsure:

We have a new cover scent laid down to the south of one of our feeders and stands. One of the landlords cows died about 250 yards south of it. Man does that send out an decaying odor. It will last for months.

Reactions: KTownKiller

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
There's no scent killer on earth that could nil out a big ol, manly, gasious explosion, Buddy!!! Well, maybe that cow would come close......

Ok, I better get to somethin worth while here......

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
There's no scent killer on earth that could nil out a big ol, manly, gasious explosion, Buddy!!! Well, maybe that cow would come close......

Ok, I better get to somethin worth while here......
I suggest you try scent killer mega bomb smasher.🔨💥💩👏

Reactions: KTownKiller

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
I was climbing down a tree this morning and was still about 18 feet up and here came a spike direct down wind. He got about 15 yards from me and finally got a whiff but couldn't figure out where I was or apparently what I was and went uphill away from the wind and finally bounced off. I waited about 5 minutes and started back down and here comes an 8 point also direct downwind. He walked to where the spike had been and I knew he got a whiff of me but he turned staring off in the other direction. He finally milled around for a few minutes and then slowly walked back the way he had come in from till he was over the lip of a ridge where I couldn't see him anymore. I waited a few minutes and finally made it to the ground. I stink apparently. :)

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Robert,,,,I think we all shtink!!!

Ok, let me get back to work, boyzzz!!!
During hunting season I use scent killing soap almost every shower because you never know when a hunt will go begging.

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
During hunting season I use scent killing soap almost every shower because you never know when a hunt will go begging.
You know going hunting in a way is similar to coping with Covid 19. When I go hunting I try to be aware of everything I touch on that day prior so as not to get exposed to unwanted scents. Then if I happen to I try to get rid of it (spray over it) before I head out to hunt. But just in case I carry a small spray bottle of scent killer in my backpack.
I have learned that it takes very little to get exposed so that is why I went back to changing clothes at the site not at home. An example of exposure is stopping at a convenience store that all those silly aromas lofting in the air like fried foods, perfumes, etc.

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Short answer....nope, don't use it.

·
Happy Member
5,542 Posts
I don't use any cover scents either. I always hunt the wind. I have a 175 acre farm so I have the luxury of having several areas to hunt depending on the wind. My favorite simple blind has always taken my biggest bucks right behind my barn!

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 45 Posts