Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with much experience may find this thread boring. However, the "newbies" out there may find this of value when sighting in.

I recently sold my old bow to a guy that was just starting out with a crossbow. He called this afternoon and said he thought something my be wrong with the bow. Oh, not sure what you mean, I replied. Well, I just can't seem to get a bullseye consistently, he stated. So, I invited him over to shoot and take a look at him and his bow. Knowing the bow was spot on at 100 yards when it left my ownership.

We setup on the table with the gun rest at 40 yards and he began shooting the first two shots that landed 7:00 and 5:00 around the bullseye. He cocked the bow and asked if I would take a shot. I set the bow in the gun rest, got over the bow and lifted my head up off the stock asking "Where might your rail level be?" His reply was to the effect that he didn't think it was necessary and was hard to look at it anyway when over the scope" I held my chuckle. I asked he setup like he was going to take a shot and hold his position. I put my small machinist level on his elevation turret cap to find he was tilted full left. I removed the level and asked him to redo his setup. This time he was fully right on the bubble. I asked that he hold his position while I put an arrow in the flight rail and trigger box. I asked that he roll the bow very slowly counterclockwise, left, until I said stop. He did and held that position. I pushed the safety off for him and asked he take the shot. Wouldn't you know, Bullseye!. He lifted his head and looked at me with a huge smile. His reply was "Damn, that's cool, what did you do?" I leveled YOU to the bow. Off to his truck he went to retrieve his rail level. Mounted it and showed him some simple ways to look at the level without disrupting his position on the scope. I couldn't get him off the range. He wore that bullseye out.

Being that the scope is mounted, let's say for example 2-1/2", above the center line of the flight rail you will turn the scope on the target but the arrow will "turn" in a radial arc. Don't forget this fact, the further the target the more off center miss you will experience if you and you bow are not level.

So, if you find yourself shooting around the bullseye, mount a level (20 bucks on Amazon) and you will cure this frustrating experience. Remember, Don't Roll the Bow, keep it level and you will shoot consistent Bulls-eyes.
Enjoy,
FD

Attachments

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Great information. Thanks for sharing.;) I'm guessing that EVERYBODY doesn't need the level especially out to 40 yards or so. Ive never used one nor needed one but I consistently make sure my horizontal crosshair is level to the plane when shooting.....even when shooting at a deer. Regardless of having the level or not you must always pay close attention to detail if you expect good results when shooting your crossbow.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great information. Thanks for sharing.;) I'm guessing that EVERYBODY doesn't need the level especially out to 40 yards or so. Ive never used one nor needed one but I consistently make sure my horizontal crosshair is level to the plane when shooting.....even when shooting at a deer. Regardless of having the level or not you must always pay close attention to detail if you expect good results when shooting your crossbow.
Absolutely correct, one is not necessary. However for rookies it helps them understand the importance of this element and the affect it has when you think the scope may be defective due to the reticles moving. I have heard this many times for people just starting out; "My scope is bad". And, at times, when on a canted hillside it can be difficult to find the horizon. It's just a tool to help gain good focus on the target.

As we get better at shooting, finding the right arrows, understanding the bow and now shooting longer distances, 50,60,70 or maybe even up to 100 yards for recreational marksmanship, it becomes more critical to not "roll the bow".
Have a great Sunday,
FD

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I only recently added a level to my xbows. I don,t look at the level till after I have sighted in using the level in my head. I do this about every third or fourth shot to check myself. In a hunting situation with little time I want to be confident in my own judgement. I f shooting targets at long distance I would use every time. Arrows are not cheap

·
8,905 Posts
Good post … I saw the value of a scope level down in Alabama shooting out to 900 yards. Not 'canting" the rifle made all the difference in the world. The longer the shot, the more critical it is to hold the crossbow level.

Reactions: Huntersthompson

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only recently added a level to my xbows. I don,t look at the level till after I have sighted in using the level in my head. I do this about every third or fourth shot to check myself. In a hunting situation with little time I want to be confident in my own judgement. I f shooting targets at long distance I would use every time. Arrows are not cheap
That's my point. It teach's us to be mindful of the bows posture and ween off the level once we learn to automatically level with our eyes and brain. However, my 100 yard shots, I use it all the time just to keep from missing the BE. Long walk to the target!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good post … I saw the value of a scope level down in Alabama shooting out to 900 yards. Not 'canting" the rifle made all the difference in the world. The longer the shot, the more critical it is to hold the crossbow level.
You are spot on Sir. Due to the massive drop of an arrow the "drift" off BE in exponential. .5" low/left @ 40 could be 6" lo/left at 80, maybe more depending on the FPS.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I assume the narrow bows are easier to cant right/left???? Something Nik Wallenda would know.

Reactions: Iron Duke

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I asked he setup like he was going to take a shot and hold his position. I put my small machinist level on his elevation turret cap to find he was tilted full left. I removed the level and asked him to redo his setup. This time he was fully right on the bubble. I asked that he hold his position while I put an arrow in the flight rail and trigger box. I asked that he roll the bow very slowly counterclockwise, left, until I said stop. He did and held that position. I pushed the safety off for him and asked he take the shot. Wouldn't you know, Bullseye!.
Are you saying the bubble was out of sight, or fully outside of the line markers, or something else? Thanks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bubble was all the way left and right of the vial. Once centered he was pounding the BE.
FD

·
Registered
145 Posts
When installing a level do you just make sure that level (whether it’s on very back of rail or attached to the scope) is reading the same as the level you’re placing say on the front of the rail?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great question Swamp Hunter. Yes, some of the Chinese levels (10.00) need leveled themselves to the rail. I will say, even if you are not dead level with the rail, using a level to keep the bow at a specific angle every time is a good thing. The bow may still be out of degrees, + or -, of rotation with a inexpensive level but it is still a reference that if bubble center then you should get the same POI.
FD

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went out just now to better illustrate what I'm referring to. These shots are 100 yards with BE Zombies/.001.
The bullseye in the scope level to the bubble. The second shot I tilted the bow just slightly, I would guess 2-3 degrees. The bubble was now touching the left line in the level. As you can see the slight right with the scope causes a left/low shot. Now, before we get all crazy about the amount of miss at 100 yards, at 50-60 yards with the same tilt would be negligible error. This was to show how a level bow can provide excellent results.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
When installing a level do you just make sure that level (whether it’s on very back of rail or attached to the scope) is reading the same as the level you’re placing say on the front of the rail?
I buy the same ones on eBay that Duke lists in the link below. I paid $65 for a Holland Signature years ago - these are identical except for no graphics.

As FD pointed out, the ones that clamp onto your scope rail aren’t very precise. I level my scope with the shooting rail and one of these pictured in post #4 on the scope tube.

I like them as far away as possible to make it easier to pick up with my left eye while keeping my right eye in the scope. My favorite was the Mission level that mounted way out in front on the riser. Good luck.

Which bubble level?

·
8,905 Posts
My $100.00 Accuracy 1st - 900 yard level.

·
Registered
10,452 Posts
I have two of these cheap levels , one on a Scorpyd DS 420 and the other on a Ravin R20 and both are perfectly balanced out with a level placed across both my scopes and the rails on the bows.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts