Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope I'm doing this right. Just joined this forum today. Introduced myself on the "newbee" page.

Anyway I shoot an Excalibur Axiom. The thing is designed so that as long as you use 150 grain broad-heads, once you have the cross hairs sighted at 20 yards, each reticule on down is ten more yards. So I use 150 grain broad-heads.

Just two days ago I took my first deer, eight pointer, with the crossbow. Nailed him with a great shot just behind the top of his shoulder. Bolt passed through with a double lung shot. Now here is what freaked me out. There was NO BLOOD TRAIL! And trust me, I scoured that field. If there was a blood trail I'd have found it. In fact, when I found him there was no blood on the ground there either. I was shooting a fixed blade broad-head that is 1.25 inches at the widest. Took me until the next day to find him and that was a major serendipity. How normal is it to have no blood trail with that narrow of a broad-head.

I'm guessing I need to switch broad-heads.

Life is good.
Prof Young

·
Crossbow Nut
3,146 Posts
Hope I'm doing this right. Just joined this forum today. Introduced myself on the "newbee" page.

Anyway I shoot an Excalibur Axiom. The thing is designed so that as long as you use 150 grain broad-heads, once you have the cross hairs sighted at 20 yards, each reticule on down is ten more yards. So I use 150 grain broad-heads.

Just two days ago I took my first deer, eight pointer, with the crossbow. Nailed him with a great shot just behind the top of his shoulder. Bolt passed through with a double lung shot. Now here is what freaked me out. There was NO BLOOD TRAIL! And trust me, I scoured that field. If there was a blood trail I'd have found it. In fact, when I found him there was no blood on the ground there either. I was shooting a fixed blade broad-head that is 1.25 inches at the widest. Took me until the next day to find him and that was a major serendipity. How normal is it to have no blood trail with that narrow of a broad-head.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Probably not your broadhead. High lung shots often produce little blood.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You said behind the top of the shoulder? High entry usually means poor blood trail for entrance
Not sure about exit since you didn’t mention exactly where that was.
Nothing wrong with your broadhead , it happens sometimes for sure
I shot one couple weeks ago in the crease on entrance and out the shoulder on exit. Entrance hit shoulder meat ( very edge) exit came out thru shoulder bone. Found two drops of blood, muscle covered both wounds. Deer was down in 60-70 yards. I wouldn’t worry about the broadhead. Mine had a 2 inch cut, just the way it goes.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Yup! Hit 'em lower, and I've quit using those narrow, fixed BHs......Like many others here, I'm go'n with a TruGlo Titanium 4 blade expandable!!!! There's a thread started by the infamous, SEW.
These have a 1 3/4" open width, fly like field points, and are really tough!!

Oh ya! And welcome to camp!!!!
KTK

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Just two days ago I took my first deer, eight pointer, with the crossbow. Nailed him with a great shot just behind the top of his shoulder. Bolt passed through with a double lung shot. Now here is what freaked me out. There was NO BLOOD TRAIL! And trust me, I scoured that field. If there was a blood trail I'd have found it. In fact, when I found him there was no blood on the ground there either.
Location location location ;)
Thats a very high entry (as you describe it) and depending on the angle of the shot (assuming you are elevated at the time) perhaps the reason you saw nothing is because the blood was draining into the chest cavity. Basically, you may have made a bowl for the blood to sit in. You did not speak about the exit hole and it's height, so I am guessing as to why. Pictures of both sides would have offered a lot more evidence with which to make a decision as to why.

If you collapsed both lungs (as you say) then blood isnt going to blow out and has to drain out. No low hole means no great blood and maybe no blood.

I was shooting a fixed blade broad-head that is 1.25 inches at the widest. Took me until the next day to find him and that was a major serendipity. How normal is it to have no blood trail with that narrow of a broad-head.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Food for thought... I saw 2 posts just this week (facebook) where the same story of no blood and a dead deer and both those people were shooting a 2" broadhead ;)

It's not the broadhead. Not enough information to say for sure why but it wasn't the broadhead unless the blades blew of the ferrule before exiting.
The position of interior muscle on impact could have caused the hole to be covered when the muscle position changed after the shot as well.
Not enough info but congratulations on your first deer :)

·
Registered
972 Posts
... Nailed him with a great shot just behind the top of his shoulder.
Prof Young
Glad you found your deer.

Why would you aim and shoot there?

As others have said, high lung shots produce very little blood as only the chest cavity fills up with blood and very little is leaked to the outside. As some have also said, you may get a little blood spray from the deer's mouth or nose. Unless he was nearly right under you at the shot, high shoulder shots are for rifle POA.

My experience has been to NOT focus on the side of the deer facing me, but focus on the opposite side where I wanted the low exit to be. Where the arrow would come out is what I aim for.

Congrats on your buck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts

Life is good.
Prof Young
Welcome. Not broadhead. Depending on shot angle; straight up the front leg lower 1/3... quartering away; straight up offside front leg lower 1/3.
Sometimes not much blood... but when you watch them drop; who needs blood trail. They can't go anywhere w/ no air & no blood circulating. Keep shop placement low/forward.

Treestand is trickier; focus on exit point.. pass thru. By the way congratulations on a great first deer.. an 8pt..

Beautiful work!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
This is the stuff most new hunters don't understand. I'm drilling my grandson on shot placement all the time. People who are starting out need to be taught this in there hunters safety course. Us old timers learned from experience. At least I did for sure. We didn't have all this usefully info on line like they do today. It is very important to know shot placement!!!! Study each animal you plan on hunting before deciding to pull the trigger. Think up every senerio as possible. Otherwise the animal can suffer and you will end up with some sleepless nights wandering what went wrong.

I've had one broadhead failure that I am absolutely positive on in a lot of years of archery hunting. Was a just above mid body entry just behind the left shoulder and a lower exit just at the very front of the gut. The blades had broken off on entry just inside the deer with what part of the blades were left and vanes on exit there wasn't much of a hole and the guts plugged the exit.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Agree with responses and each shot is different. Depending upon if the deer bolts and runs like ninety -- or just goes at a slower place -- can impact how much blood you find initally.

I've had them go down at 70 yards with no blood until just before the spot where they crashed.

Thing is -- never become discouraged -- always do a complete search.

Horns

·
1,644 Posts
Are experiences are often are best teachers. Years ago i left the trees and started ground hunting with a trad bow. Boy if that wasn't a humbling experience lol. But i stuck to it and started killing deer. What i noticed right off very little to no blood was being spilled on the ground. Because i didn't have a high entrance and low exit. I was just shooting right through them level. Well this lead me to thinking i'll just make a bigger hole. This turned out to be a wise move that followed me in to crossbow hunting where i still ground hunt.

You kit arrows have alum inserts this causes you to need a 150gr BH. You can get arrows with brass inserts that are heavier that opens up the door to many different broadheads. I used to hunt with a Excalibur Ibex very similar to your bow. I used many different heads from that bow. But the ones that stood out were the NAP Maxx or Edge as long as i used a 94gr insert. Your insert is probably barking at 40 grs plus the 150gr broad is 190 grs up front. I was using a 100gr broadhead with a 94 gr insert for 194 grs up front. And it carried a 1 3/4" cut that did the same thing as the 1 1/8" cut i tried. Flew through the air hit the deer and stuck in the ground. So why not increase the damage caused by the broadhead. You still might not get a blood trail it happens. But you did more damage, shot placement is everything. But good shot placement is still better with a bigger hole :).

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Welcome to camp!

In my experience unless something plugs the holes, and that happens, blood trails are commensurate with entry and exit height.

Not sure what you are hunting out of but when I started crossbow hunting out of ground blinds I was still aiming at the spot that I was accustomed to with a rifle and not getting good blood.

Unlike climbers or ladder stands blinds give you, for the most part, a straight level shot through the animal. You simply must learn to aim a little lower.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Are experiences are often are best teachers. Years ago i left the trees and started ground hunting with a trad bow. Boy if that wasn't a humbling experience lol. But i stuck to it and started killing deer. What i noticed right off very little to no blood was being spilled on the ground. Because i didn't have a high entrance and low exit. I was just shooting right through them level. Well this lead me to thinking i'll just make a bigger hole. This turned out to be a wise move that followed me in to crossbow hunting where i still ground hunt.

You kit arrows have alum inserts this causes you to need a 150gr BH. You can get arrows with brass inserts that are heavier that opens up the door to many different broadheads. I used to hunt with a Excalibur Ibex very similar to your bow. I used many different heads from that bow. But the ones that stood out were the NAP Maxx or Edge as long as i used a 94gr insert. Your insert is probably barking at 40 grs plus the 150gr broad is 190 grs up front. I was using a 100gr broadhead with a 94 gr insert for 194 grs up front. And it carried a 1 3/4" cut that did the same thing as the 1 1/8" cut i tried. Flew through the air hit the deer and stuck in the ground. So why not increase the damage caused by the broadhead. You still might not get a blood trail it happens. But you did more damage, shot placement is everything. But good shot placement is still better with a bigger hole :).
Ben Pearson's Dead Head became an overnight success based on what you saw. He designed it because of what you said you experienced. Great minds think alike :)
That said...
Every truth shows diminishing returns when taken to extremes.

·
1,644 Posts
Ben Pearson's Dead Head became an overnight success based on what you saw. He designed it because of what you said you experienced. Great minds think alike :)
That said...
Every truth shows diminishing returns when taken to extremes.
Even Fred Bear saw blood trail problems with his broadhead. This is why he made bleeder blades opening up the slit increasing the hole size. I ended up seeing my fastest trad kills using a bought RER recurve using the Simmons landshark with bleeders.And using Uncle Bobs Zipper recurve.

I always have my ear to the rail. But as of right now the Swat X Mag with its 3 3/4" cut is replacing my beloved FOC's. But i have no plans on selling them :). Because when ground hunting not getting a blood trail happens way more often than getting one.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Glad you found your deer.

Why would you aim and shoot there?
My experience has been to NOT focus on the side of the deer facing me, but focus on the opposite side where I wanted the low exit to be. Where the arrow would come out is what I aim for.

Congrats on your buck.
great advice (y)

·
Registered
102 Posts
He said it was double lung, so shot placement was good. We don’t always hit perfect, and even then not guaranteed a good blood trail.
I have shot many deer with perfect shot placement and little blood.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts

Life is good.
Prof Young
That happened to me this year..no blood trail on a doe. It was a weird shot angle. When I pulled up to the take the shot she was broadside then turned but I took the shot anyway.The arrow went in the left mid area and exit the inside the ride shoulder. I watched the way she ran out. I could see the arrow on the ground from my blind. I tracked her by the hoof prints in the leaves. She went maybe 85 yards. There was a little blood where she lie on the leaves from the exit wound. First deer taken by tracking with hoof prints that I remember.

20201029_181126.jpg
20201029_185544.jpg
20201029_214134.jpg

·
Registered
11,350 Posts
Heck I shot a nice 8 point with a DL shot with a .308 two weeks ago today and it never bled at all and ran about 150 yards. The only blood I found was under his mouth where he was laying. He was quartering away from me and I hit him right at top of stomach and the bullet was behind his offside leg. No exit.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Heck I shot a nice 8 point with a DL shot with a .308 two weeks ago today and it never bled at all and ran about 150 yards. The only blood I found was under his mouth where he was laying. He was quartering away from me and I hit him right at top of stomach and the bullet was behind his offside leg. No exit.
Ha! Should have used a .270 Winchester. Glad you found it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts