Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with this silencer/vibration inhibitor system? Are they helpful on the Exomax?

Doug

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have one on my Excalibur Vortex. It does lesson the vibration. However, it really does not help with the sound. There is just to much power in those limbs. I do think it is worth it though.

·
41 Posts
The first time I fired my xcal phoenix I was shocked on how loud it sounded compared to a compound. The first several weeks I shot it with earplugs because of the sound. I got a "BOO" string with cat whiskers and a STS for it. It still goes twangggggg but its more subdued and I don't have to wear any earplugs to shoot it. In normal hunting distances up to say 30-35 yards I don't think it will make much of a difference where a deer will jump the string. I think it just makes the bow more enjoyable to shoot and will probably help in decreasing the stress on the bow thereby increasing the "life" of the bowand will probably help in a dry fire situation. I think if you went with a Boo string, sts and maybe slighly heavier arrows you would cut down on the amount/type of sound your e-max produces.

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bayou Excalibur said:
I have one on my Excalibur Vortex. It does lesson the vibration. However, it really does not help with the sound. There is just to much power in those limbs. I do think it is worth it though.
Hmmmm...ok. The vibration doesn't bother me much but the Exomax does sound rather loud. Guess there isn't a whole lot I can do about it but hope that the arrow arrives before the whitetail can react. Thanks for the response.

Doug

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
liaf said:
The first time I fired my xcal phoenix I was shocked on how loud it sounded compared to a compound. The first several weeks I shot it with earplugs because of the sound. I got a "BOO" string with cat whiskers and a STS for it. It still goes twangggggg but its more subdued and I don't have to wear any earplugs to shoot it. In normal hunting distances up to say 30-35 yards I don't think it will make much of a difference where a deer will jump the string. I think it just makes the bow more enjoyable to shoot and will probably help in decreasing the stress on the bow thereby increasing the "life" of the bowand will probably help in a dry fire situation. I think if you went with a Boo string, sts and maybe slighly heavier arrows you would cut down on the amount/type of sound your e-max produces.
I am rather new to this and am confused about the "boo" string. Is this not an Excal product or an aftermarket string. Where can I buy one?

Doug

·
41 Posts
BOO is the screen name of a guy from ontario who makes customs strings. I do not know if he is a member on this forum but if you go to the excalibur forums and do a search you will find him. I can not say which one contributed more in the decrease in the sound of my x-bow as i put the custom string and STS on at the same time. I would like to believe that both had something to do with the noise reduction. Maybe someone has Don's(BOO) e mail address on this forum.

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok great.....I will do that.

·
38 Posts
Yes,
The STS does quiet an Excaliber noticably.
Are they worth it? If the noise bothers you, yes.
As far as really making much of a difference in a hunting situation, probably not. A deer is going to hear the noise of even a well silenced longbow (which is far below that of any crossbow or compound I've ever shot), but how it reacts is all up to the deer.
I had a set on my Phoenix, but decided I could live without them, so I sold them. The extra noise doesn't really bother me, and I'm going to get close to a deer before I shoot. Hopefully the noise of the crossbow will be the last noise it hears.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
I think in a lot of cases the reason noise is mentioned about Crossbows is not because a Deer will hear it.
For me,while I am hunting and shooting at a Deer I don't even think about the noise.
However when I am shooting a target in my back yard I become more conscience of how loud the crossbow is and so do neighbors in the area.

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SPECIALIZED said:
I think in a lot of cases the reason noise is mentioned about Crossbows is not because a Deer will hear it.
For me,while I am hunting and shooting at a Deer I don't even think about the noise.
However when I am shooting a target in my back yard I become more conscience of how loud the crossbow is and so do neighbors in the area.
Doesn't the STS systems do more than just curb the noise. Doesn't it also help with the vibration.....or not? I currenty shoot a Horton supermax and the virbration is irritating to shoot which is why I only shoot about three arrows then quit for the day.

Doug

·
224 Posts
I personally think the STS reduces the vibration.
It has made a measurable difference on the level of noise, to me.
I also have a Boo string.
I also have limbsavers.

Next is shrink tubing on the retainer spring.

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where can the double STS system be purchased and does it add much weight to the crossbow?

·
342 Posts
dougedwards said:
Does anyone have any experience with this silencer/vibration inhibitor system? Are they helpful on the Exomax?

Doug
I have it on my Exomax
Less noise = No
Less vibration = Yes

To me it is worth it...
Joe

·
1,694 Posts
The STS and a Boo string with whiskers is presently the most in noise and shock reduction that I have experienced so far(I have not used the Matthias suppressor). So much that I can follow the arrow to it's target. I found that you have to have at least one bumper in light contact with the string. I do not fuss over both touching but it has to help a little. I cut the rods that hold the bumpers to lower the brace height. The uncut rods hold the brace height at the highest mark and I like it a string width or so below that. I am sure that the deer being shot at will hear the noise but the deer I am concerned with is the one that was following the doe I just whacked 50 yard or more in the woods. But mostly, normal crossbow noise drives me up the wall.

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Boo said:
But mostly, normal crossbow noise drives me up the wall.
The noise that a crossbow makes is irritating but not as irritating and the vibration felt during target shooting with a crossbow. How much weight would I be adding to my Exomax if I installed the double STS system?

Doug

·
1,694 Posts
4 oz or so. Barely noticeable.

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thwack!

My unaltered Exomax is more pleasurable to shoot than my Horton Supermax. There is less vibration but the Exomax does make a different sound than the Horton. It is a rather irritating sound. Is this the string making this noise or is it just the recurve limbs?

Doug

1 - 20 of 38 Posts