Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My DS 420 has a small hump in the string where it crosses over the rail. Having read numerous posts, this downward pressure doesn't seem to be the ideal situation. I checked the cams and there doesn't appear to be any available space to shim them up. There is a small gap ( I'm guessing 1/32" or so) between the top edge of the limbs and the limb pockets that could be gained if a shim were to be placed between the bottom edge of the limbs and the limb pockets. Is this a worthwhile endeavor or would it be better to leave good enough alone and put up with the likely string wear??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how and what did you use to polish the latch. I polished a trigger tech i have but i took it out of the stock.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Automotive sand paper..its a very fine grit. It's for polishing metal...1500 grit up to 5000 grit..work your way up from the heaviest to finest grit until you get a nice finish. Don't forget to mask off the rail area where you will be sanding to protect the finish.
You can drop the latch by making a dummy arrow to depress the sear lock ramp then pull the trigger.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how did you decide when when it was to your liking. I used a cotton ball on my other trigger to check for any rough spots. Is the cotton ball route sufficient to check for a smooth surface?

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
how did you decide when when it was to your liking. I used a cotton ball on my other trigger to check for any rough spots. Is the cotton ball route sufficient to check for a smooth surface?
When mine quit fraying center servings I was satisfied. Took two times. I thought I had it done but my serving said different. I used cotton after the 1st try and it lied.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll polish up the latch for safety's sake to head of any potential problems. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to eliminate the hump in the string over the rail on a DS 420?

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
I'll polish up the latch for safety's sake to head of any potential problems. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to eliminate the hump in the string over the rail on a DS 420?
Have you got a picture of that "hump"?
Mine has a tad of down pressure built into it but it is not hurting the serving life at all. You really do not need to polish your latches unless they are fraying your servings. I only did the right side latch on mine as that was the only one fraying the serving. No need to fix it if it is not broke.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
I don't get where this down pressure is effecting serving life on the DS. This is surprising to me. I own a 2017 DS 380 that I purchased in late February 2018 and I can slides playing card between the rail and serving with just a little tightness to it... I've never had an issue with the center serving other than the one time I used to much wax on it and it seperated from end to end but that was used ere.
Could you post a picture of yours ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually I haven't shot it enough, serving wear is not the concern at the present time. I was looking down the road for that possible issue. However, having read numerous posts on excessive string pressure on the rail and the measures taken to correct it, I've concluded it is not a desirable situation. I removed the foot stirrup and took a picture from the front. The picture makes the hump over the rail a bit exaggerated but obviously it is there. There is no way I'm getting a playing card between the string and rail. Am I being to anal about this or is there some way to raise the cams to minimize the string pressure. There is a gap between the top edge of the limbs and the limb pockets. Is it worth my time and effort to put shim material under the bottom edge of the limbs and move the limbs up against the top of the limb pocket. Obliviously this is gonna create some additional downward pressure from the cables. Not sure how much difference 1/32" at the limb pocket would make at the limb tips. Seems to be a catch 22 situation. This the first time including a picture - hope it works.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Looks just like mine does.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
You are letting the post about the Nemesis influence your thinking. The DS 420 is a totally different bow with no known problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for putting my mind as ease. Being Type A and a perfectionist has it's drawbacks. Right down to having all my screw slots in the switch and receptacle plates horizontal. Yeah, I know I got it bad. My wife constantly reminds me!!!

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Yes, I wouldn't touch the limbs. Shimming the could cause issues. I would look at the cams and the space in between the limbs and washers in there before I'd do anything. It would probably be okay to add a washer underneath them if there's a big space on the top but still making sure the cams spin freely..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took a look at the cams for any available space between them and the limbs. i was able to physically slide the left cam up the axle appx. 1/16" however the right cam had very little to no space available to slide the cam up. I suppose i could put a washer in the available space under the left cam to gain a bit there, however with the left cam slid up against the top spacer, it appeared to do little to alleviate the hump over the rail. Gotta let this go and move on. Thanks for everyone's input/advice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts