Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Check and double check to make sure all your e clips are on the cable end loop pulleys pins. They are 3/16". Boy was I glad I saw some cable separation and decided not to cock my r26 again until I got new threads. I had a clip missing. Could have turned into a catastrophe. Thank the lord for that one.

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
Were you changing cables when you saw that? If yes I wonder it you might have knocked one loose while trying to get the cable loop off or the new one on.
Opps just read it again and it looks like you are waiting for new string to come in.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Robert,
I pressed the bow to change out the threads. When I grabbed the bottom right cable to remove it the little brass pulley slid off of the pin. That clip maybe flew off or was never there. I dont know for sure but cant hurt to check them off and on.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Robert,
I pressed the bow to change out the threads. When I grabbed the bottom right cable to remove it the little brass pulley slid off of the pin. That clip maybe flew off or was never there. I dont know for sure but cant hurt to check them off and on.
Wow, that's an eye opener.
I guess I've been really lucky. I've owned a R9 for 4 years and a R10 for over 2 and don't remember ever touching one of those cable pulley e-clips. Ravin used to send a new set of string stops with each set of strings but I just always left the old ones on. I just haven't seen enough string stop wear to justify messing with the e-clips.
Yelpy, thanks for the warning.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far so good. Not a sign of any stretching just the initial settling on the end loops around the posts and pulleys. Its dead nuts on ATA at 9.25. No cam lean and between the timing marks favoring the front marks on both cams.

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I'll check mine tonight.;)

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Robert,
Just a friendly piece of helpful advice. I ran into a similar situation about 2 months ago after doing a tune up on my Orion 150. In the event you need or want extra 3/16" e-clips they're usually readily available at most decent hardware stores. They are made of stainless steel and cost about 50 cents a piece. Just make sure you use a plastic or hard rubber mallet to tap all components together on the center spindle before putting the new e-clip on. Once on it will prevent any further separation or spacing on that cam axle. Also, remember to put a drop or two of a good silicone or Teflon lubricant on the center spindle before compressing everything.

Jon

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is some very useful info for folks who havent had any experience with installing cam axles and e clips.

Thank you Jon. I picked some up and got it taking care of. I didn't use stainless but It wasn't a concern of mine. I just grabbed what Tractor supply had in the drawer.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I change my e-clips when I change my strings and cables. I am not sure what e-clips the Ravin engineers call for, but I bought an entire set for my Ravins and 4mm fits very well. I don't rmember how I cam up with the 4mm clips. Now I am curious. $mm and #/16thh are VERY close to the same size. Bigbird1 can you tell us since you are an engineer? I use GAS strings by the way and they fit tight enough that I need to install on the pulley then put them on the spindle pin. Just changed a set night before last for the fifth time or so.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I change my e-clips when I change my strings and cables. I am not sure what e-clips the Ravin engineers call for, but I bought an entire set for my Ravins and 4mm fits very well. I don't rmember how I cam up with the 4mm clips. Now I am curious. $mm and #/16thh are VERY close to the same size. Bigbird1 can you tell us since you are an engineer? I use GAS strings by the way and they fit tight enough that I need to install on the pulley then put them on the spindle pin. Just changed a set night before last for the fifth time or so.
Yes those cables are a tight fit. I ended up doing the same.

4mm is .1575" = 5/32"

3/16" is .1875"

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's a look at a target I shot today with the R26 factory .003 arrows cut down with 110 grain stainless inserts and 100 grain Hypodermics on the front end at 50 yrds. Pretty windy day. Stock scope, stock rest and Gas string and cables. I havent shot the little pocket rocket from the bench yet. All shots are off of the Caldwell dead shot field pod. I'm sure it will shoot better off of a bench and with a level attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They all look dead to me. Good shooting!
Thank you. I know I'd shoot better from my bench. I just didnt feel like getting it out today. Another day when I get the Scorpyds out too. Next week probably. I might make a trip to hunt in the next 3 weeks. I'll have to check the Scorpyd shortly. They got new threads.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yes those cables are a tight fit. I ended up doing the same.

4mm is .1575" = 5/32"

3/16" is .1875"
So, does anyone know what Ravin says is the correct size of E-clip? 4 mm (/5/32 nds or 2.5/16 ths) or actual american 3/16ths? Are they metric or american from the Ravin factory?

·
Registered
90 Posts
That'll killem Yelpy! (y)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, does anyone know what Ravin says is the correct size of E-clip? 4 mm (/5/32 nds or 2.5/16 ths) or actual american 3/16ths? Are they metric or american from the Ravin factory?
I'm pretty sure they are standard. 3/16 because the 3/16 matched up perfect to the original clips. Seems all the bolts are standard also. I didnt measure the pin though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts