Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for solid data concerning the economic impact crossbow inclusion has had in the states such as Ohio, Arkansas, Georgia, Alabama, Virginia, Maryland, and Kentucky that have legalized crossbow use during their bow season. Rather than speculation and opinion solid evidence as might be put out by a state's fish and wildlife agency, an archery association, etc. is needed.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Whit1,
For the exact info you need, you need to contact each of those states DNR's or PWD. Of course, it will still be not so perfect with specifics, but it's probably the only place where someone has done any kind of studies on the subject. Maybe seek out the Hunters Ed dept. on those specific states. They would be the ones within, to conduct the studies pertaining to specific weapons. Good luck and post the results for the rest of us when you collect them please sir.

·
Banned
1,256 Posts
Call Bass Pro in Hampton VA. and ask them! LOL The first year they were legal for all here (VA) they sold like hot cakes. They had 2 walls - one huge one in the range - full of xbows and they sold all of them. The compound guys had a real awakening of how much people really wanted to hunt with them.

In '06 in VA. other archery fell from 52,620 to 48,770, but resident crossbow licenses went from 14,475 to 20,081. Net gain about 16,000 licenses sales if you take archery as a whole. VA. created a new & different xbow license. I bought both archery licenses the first year but after that it was xbow only. Here for each weapon other than gun for big game you need a special license. We have a small game license, big game license, muzzle loader, archery and xbow if you wanted to shoot every legal weapon in one season.

·
329 Posts
whit1,

i live in VA "part of the time", so i know the GENERAL answer to your question.

XBs are lawful for everyone in VA during ALL of the seasons. and VERY popular, especially during the "URBAN DEER SEASON" ,which runs continously from Sept 15-Mar 31 this year.

several of our cities & counties do NOT allow GUN hunting, so we archers have those counties/cites to ourselves - the deer are EVERYWHERE & VERY numerous.
(in some areas, i refuse to call it deer HUNTING;instead it is SHOOTING deer. recently a morning listener of WMAL talk radio reported counting 66 deer on his 1/3 acre Alexandria city lawn at one time.)

as for "economic impact, it must be considerable. it would be MUCH greater if the local sporting-goods stores had more KNOWLEDGEABLE/POLITE sales people.

let me explain: i went several weeks ago to the local "archery pro shop", to buy a scope mount for my Yukon SL, a dozen arrows & some new broadheads. the "sales pro" asked me what i wanted. i told him that i needed a mount/arrows/broadheads for my XB.
he said, "Come over here & let me show you our line of 2008 XBs." i said, "i'm on my way to work & need to get the stuff & get on to work".

he said, "you mean you don't want to buy a new bow???" i said, "No."

about that time another customer came into the XB area & the salesman left me standing there & went to try & sell a XB to the new guy.

fwiw, i bought my arrows/mount & broadheads off of ebay.com.

the store lost an over 100.oo sale & i won't go back to the "pro shop" again, anytime soon.

yours, texasnative46

1 - 4 of 4 Posts