Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is a continuing question that I keep searching to find an answer to. I have experimented with 2" Blasers, 4 " vanes and 5 " vanes, On both carbon and aluminum arrows Always looking for that elusive near perfect arrow configuration that provides excellent accuracy, good speed and penetration. What I have noticed is the faster CB's are less forgiving and more "picky" about what they will shoot, CONSISTENTLY real well. Under 300FPS CBs tend to shoot most any vane configuration about the same; only varying a bit in FPS.
Heavy broadheads sometimes affect the flight and will be better or worse depending on the length of the vanes, Also broadhead configuration has some impact.
What's your experience?

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Vanes

In Shooting my Desert Stryker I experimented with several different vanes from 5 inch to 2 inch blazers ,using Gold tip laser 11 shafts.
Shooting with the 125 grain field tip and the 125 grain spitfire xp at a hunting distance of 30 and 35 yards they all were hitting within 3/4 inch.Actually the Blazers were just a little more consistent .My D/S will shoot pretty much what you bring to the party.:)

·
11,404 Posts
I agree

The Desert stryker is not accuracy sensitive to different arrow combinations. I shoot nothing but 2" Blazers because I like to simplify all that I do related to hunting and shooting. Shooting literally everyday year round, Blazers have made my life a lot easier in quite a few ways. They are very easy to fletch, tough as hell and, with field points and expandables, I cannot find other vanes that will shoot more accurately and they definitely will not last as long as Blazers. If I ensisted on shooting and hunting with fixed blade broadheads I might consider other options but I like simple too much. Call me lazy if you like:D

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay you DS users; With 2" Blasers the vane of choice, is it Aluminum or Carbon shafts?
I've found that they both are equally accurate with the carbon being slightly faster.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Desert Stryker Arrows

My favorite is the Carbon Goldtip laser11 shafts.
The Carbon impact xlt ultrabolt is 2nd.

Pretty much carbon all the way.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
I'm finding that FOC is at least as important as size of vanes, esp from a faster bow. I'm after at least 20% FOC, with inserts and 2" Blazers, and getting awesome accuracy as a result. Going to try helical on several that need re fletching to see how that works.

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far I've found

that the Goldtip Laser II's with brass inserts , Blaser 2" vanes and 100gr tips are very fast and very accurate.
I still have more than a couple dozen XX75 arrows with 4" vanes. plus a shitload of Goldtip Laser II's with 4" vanes, I think I have far too many arrows. Good thing they all shoot accurately and plenty fast.

·
11,404 Posts
I let my accuracy testing results with

100/125/170 grain points determine what I end up shooting. I do not work up FOC numbers, etc. When a certain arrow/point combination all hit in virtually the same spot at 60/70 yards, that's good enough for me. Again, back to my "simple" methods:D

·
329 Posts
moonkryket,

fwiw, this old hillbilly agrees 100%.

as i told someone on another thread i shot a cheap bow (when i could draw a recurve, i had a 50# "garage sale" Ben Pearson that im paid 10 bucks for about 1970.), cheap arrows, cheap (resharpenable) BHs, the quiver that my cousin made for me
&
the WTs/hogs don't seem to notice for 3 decades what they got zapped with; they just continued to bleed out & fall over.

i suspect that "these overfed,sophisticated Urban Deer" (starting in about 50 days from now!!!) will fall flat just as promptly with my old Yukon.

yours, texasnative46

1 - 9 of 9 Posts