Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Kelowna, (aka, KTown) BC./ Swat!!! :)
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, hopefully not just open'n the proverbial 'can-o-worms' here! Let's keep this civil, respectful and fun even, while many can learn, like me!!!....Especially from you dudes that slay a lot of critters regularly......I know with the right gear and lots of practice, all kinds of weapons can be used at extreme distances, at least on targets anyway......BUT, at what sort of real range for crossbows, does the lack of penetration and kill'n power drop off that a person/I should be hold'n off on the trig!?
I'm figuring a decently weighted hunting arrow, but maybe push'n the limit while still being ethical also.
More specs: 450ish gr Tapps launched at 385+ fps KI Swat....:D

Fire away, :rolleyes:
KTK

·
Registered
18,378 Posts
The killing power and penetration is there for long distance shots with most crossbows shooting over 350 or so fps. But that said it is still an arrow moving fairly slowly that a buck or doe out at 60 yards or farther might well take a step or two or turn or otherwise not present a decent target by the time the arrow arrives that keeps most of us limited to 50 yards or under depending on what kind of cover you are hunting. Mine is 40 yards and under. Better to pass on a shot than accidentally gut shoot or otherwise wound a nice deer.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds wise, Robert. Thanks!

My buddy that shoots gongs at 1200+ yds with his rifle, limits himself to much less now, since I talked to him about the critters taking a step....fun too play with distance and fling'n pills and pointy sticks a looong way though at targets!!!!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know all that, guys. But considering I do my part, and everything is fine.... Just wondering at what sort of range is penetration mostly gonna go for a crap....Coming down more to the pure physics, not all the other factors...Work with me, dudes! LOL

I think it's a good subject, so there's less deer run'n off with an arrow gone in a few inches while some dude is trying to figure out his max range. Hear what I'm say'n?

Maybe I got a speech impediment today!!! IDK
LOL

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Using a chronograph and knowing the weight of your arrow, you can determine the kinetic energy of your personal equipment. A minimum of 65# KE is needed for large game animals.

Determine the speed needed for 65# KE. Then determine where the arrow speed decreases to that predetermined level in yards down range. That is your absolute maximum distance. After all that, it's up to the Indian to do his ethical duty during the hunt. If you can't hit a 2" bullseye, back for more practice.

https://archerycalculator.com/archery-kinetic-energy-and-momentum-calculator/

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Penetration wise it is much farther than most can shoot.
One year moose hunting,I hit a good bull at thirty yards....
He trotted across a wet marsh gains stopped to look back broadside....
I ranged him at ninety yards ,took a guesstimate and let one fly....
Remenber he already had one in him.
I hit him center mass and my 29 inch ,swickey tipped 2219 got about 15 inches of penetration.
My first shot at thirty was a pass through. Caught liver and one lung and he was a dead moose walking.
That was shooting an eighty pound Hoyt and the arrow was around 475 grains.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great info, thanks gents! Great shot on the swamper, CA!!!! That's another reason I want to at least practice out to 100yds, just so I don't have to guess with a similar thing...Like ya said, if it's been hit already, ya don't have much to loose, except another arrow...LOL

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
For my skill level,40 yards max. Thats with everything lined up perfect.
Great info, thanks gents! Great shot on the swamper, CA!!!! That's another reason I want to at least practice out to 100yds, just so I don't have to guess with a similar thing...Like ya said, if it's been hit already, ya don't have much to loose, except another arrow...LOL
Pretty big target also

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I agree with you guys. I'm in the same boat pretty much. I've passed on a lot of deer that are not shootable within a decent penetration range, just because of so many variables....Sounds like the penetration isn't so much the problem though, it's just everything else...Thanks guys!

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I am confident at 40 yards but that is the max I have to practice at in my yard. Prefer 20 to thirty yard shots but I have zero doubt that I could become proficient at 60 yards given the room to practice.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm lucky, I can shoot as far as I want from my backyard with empty, open land behind me. Just gotta wait if someone is walking out there, but otherwise my neighbors are all good with it also!!!! Nice having understanding neighbors!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.