Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never posted before, but I've learned lots reading posts/reviews here, so thank you. I've hunted with crossbows since the 2000 season. I've owned a couple different Barnett crossbows--Revolution (original) and Ghost 400 and harvested many elk with them. I've also shot Ten Points, Excaliburs, and Hortons. Purchased an R29 this year after I had a limb failure on my Ghost. I shot the R29x sniper and R29 before deciding on the R29--I was more accurate with the R29.

I was lucky to sneak in on a herd that was bugling/cow talking like crazy on September 3rd. For 4 hours I listened to and watched them but couldn't get within 300 yards of them in an open field. Finally around 7pm this bull came out behind me bugling and tearing up trees as he made his way out of the trees at about 120 yards. I was sitting in front of a lone pine tree and the wind was perfect as it blew toward the herd but away from him. The herd never really seemed to care there was a stinky hunter sitting on the edge of the field. I ranged him at 74 yards and the direction he was traveling toward the herd made this about the closest shot I would get. The shot ended up being 70 yards slightly quartered towards me. Complete pass through with the Rage (which I've shot for quite a few years) through right shoulder and out right behind the left. He walked about 20 yards, laid down and was done in less than 5 minutes. A great hunt and I'm definitely a Ravin believer now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Great bull! And congrats to you!

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: WyoElk and dynamo61

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Congrats on a well placed, relatively long-range shot!
if I may ask, where were you when you shot that beauty, somewhere in Wyoming (guessing by your NickName) or ???
Just curious (George).
Thanks,
dynamo61

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was in the Big Horns of Wyoming. I typically hunt elk in the Big Horns or Sierra Madres depending on the draw.

Congrats on a well placed, relatively long-range shot!
if I may ask, where were you when you shot that beauty, somewhere in Wyoming (guessing by your NickName) or ???
Just curious (George).
Thanks,
dynamo61

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
It was in the Big Horns of Wyoming. I typically hunt elk in the Big Horns or Sierra Madres depending on the draw.
Awesome, thanks for the info.
Love the solitude out there and would really like to make it out that way one day to do some long range xbow and rifle shooting.

Reactions: WyoElk

·
Registered
876 Posts
Wow man, an elk at 70y. Not sure I have the confidence to take that shot. Elk hunting is a fantasy hunt that I’ll likely never see in my lifetime. Congrats on that beautiful hunt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts