Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My in-laws went for a bike ride and there were 2 does and 3 fawns at the church eating grass

Mind you I live in the city and there woods around but not many

Just thought it was kinda cool

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Ah! You reminded me of a story I thought was way cool. One morning, on my way down a back road to the ranch to meet clients for the morning hunt, I passed an old community center in the middle of now where. In the corner of the yard by the fence, someone had set up a little Christmas tree with lights. There were 5 does standing at the tree, looking at the lights. It was just too cool to see that.

·
211 Posts
I couple weeks ago I was heading through town on my motorcycle and almost hit a doe that ran out across the road right in front of me, right in a heavy residental area of town... its not the first time deer have been running around in town here but if I would have hit one on my motorcycle right down town I dont think I would have ever lived it down...

·
342 Posts
Geez...the only exciting thing I have going on right now, is the 2 huge skunks that are getting into my garbage cans...and then at 2 in the morning my dog
(Shark) get after them, and causes a heck of a comotion...this is almost a nightly thing now...

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Actually, I prefer the company of deer on Sundays in Sept-Dec. (And they don't pass the plate).

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Yesterday evening, I had done some landscaping and applied mulch to a bed and while I was watering, my hog stood up and was looking at something. I looked and I had 10 does standing and grazing in my pasture within 40 yards. They kinda live here on my place as it's a safe zone with feeder and bedding area. The bad part is they are getting too used to us and aren't acting like deer should. We watch TV outside and they come close to the house with all the noise. They are too curious with new things in the area too. I do enjoy the company though and love watching them from my bedroom while drinking coffee in the mornings.
I filmed them last week from my bedroom, but haven't loaded any of it to the internet yet. They have lost their fear of humans around my house.

·
329 Posts
GG,

inasmuch as you are FEEDING the 10 does, it only seems fair that ONE of the does should feed your family. she should be NICE & TENDER!!!

btw, i prefer doe to buck anytime & the better fed/younger the better on the plate.

yours, texasnative46

·
1,426 Posts
GG :::: in Louisiana we would call that :

CLEVER .... EFFECTIVE...

I would kick up the corn right before the fatal accident occurred to get the taste just right...

Here if you have second thoughts about fair chase we say a prayer... it is short and to the point and wipes away the iniquity.. it goes like this ::::

"gravy... deep fried.... stew... barbque.... nuff foreplay sharpen the knives...."

we think with our stomachs first down here and then we get around to the other important things... food is not everything, but it is way ahead of what is in second place...

dk = Da K oonass

Jest in fun...

·
329 Posts
kennisondan,

i absolutely agree. (starting in about 6 weeks, many of the "urban deer" in NOVA will have "a problem" = ME!!!)

yours texasnative46

·
329 Posts
kennisondan,

fwiw, i used to work out of Marathon & have been blessed with eating almost every creature that walks, swins, slithers & flies in LA.

one of the BEST decisions i ever made, when we worked that part of the state, was hiring Mrs. Janelle Etta Boursoliel to cook for our crew.
(Janelle was the wife of one of our unit's custodians, pure south LA-born RCA & a MARVEL in the kitchen. her crawfish etoffee with rice was to die over.)

to all NON-LA folks: YEP, it takes about 4 & 20 blackbirds to make a REALLY nice size pie.

yours, texasnative46

·
116 Posts
GG--

In your post you said that your "hog" stood up. Are you raising it for a pet or the table? I'm not sure whether it's a typo and you mean dog??

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Nah, shooting 'yard deer' is like sleeping in week old underwear. Nasty!

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
DadHuntsNow said:
GG--

In your post you said that your "hog" stood up. Are you raising it for a pet or the table? I'm not sure whether it's a typo and you mean dog??
Nope, you read that right. I have a pet that was wild caught. She's my friend.
I've had here for 6 1/2 years and the best learning tool I could ever have.
I'll post a few pictures since she's a TV star being on the news more than us.
Gotta get to the other computer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts